Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How about a Stuck in Chrome Shop Prison Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If they were dead honest and up front, telling potential customer's they can't even get started on your parts for 6-12 months, most people would walk. Instead, they underestimate and overpromise to get your business. Just like the paint & body shop prison, most customer's will wait it out and not pull the work. I have a hard time believing someone that's been in a defined trade for years that honestly states 3 months and takes 12. It's an unscrupulous business practice that's very common in the remodeling/home improvement industry.

Like anything else, get references and if the parts are shippable, consider going out of State as chrome shops are scarce enough. The border just opened up, so that option is open in the Canadian & Mexican border regions.

-Brent- and 5window like this.
  2. goldmountain

goldmountain

My car has lots of shiny parts but only the NERF bars were sent to the platers. If I could buy the parts either plain or chrome, I went for the chrome option.

-Brent- likes this.
  3. 52lomofo

52lomofo

I'm luck here 3 to 4 weeks and called early my grille getting chromed now 4 weeks

-Brent- likes this.
  4. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

My two mirror brackets, about half the length of a ink pen took 3 months. I guess size doesn’t matter! Everything on my car took ten times longer than it should. Wheels took 17 weeks to make. Was told 5-6. Body and paint was a year! Ugh

5. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I recently learned some chrome shop jargon. The chromer says 'Sorry for the delay, I got bombed with work." That really means "Sorry, but other people's stuff that I just got in is much more important than yours." Ask me how I know.

6. How do you know?

5window and Budget36 like this.
  7. 5window

5window

Stuff more important or customer more important? I could see a big time builder would get preferential treatment to insure repeat business, but it's not right. They'll tell you "it's just business" but a fellow who pulls that kind of stunt will likely cut corners on your job. Beware.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

More important customer. IE: a project from a pro builder's shop that brings regular business to the chrome shop vs. a one time casual home builder hobbyist.

I used to LMAO watching American Hot Rod. Boyd Coddington; "Duane, have someone take that truckload of 55 Chevy stuff to the plater's and tell them we need it back by Friday morning to start final assembly". Fade to black. Next scene has 4 shop hands unwrapping a parking lot space size of perfectly chromed parts and laying them out on moving blankets....

Same with upholstery. Gabe's upholstery would upholster an entire car for Boyd in like 48 hours. The scene at his shop would have Gabe, his Son's, Nephew's, Grandma, etc busting out the job. If Gabe balked, he'd probably never get another job because Boyd would find another hungry upholsterer to bang it out. Straight to the front of the line/no waiting, VIP treatment all the way.

If I walked into a plating shop and asked for a 4 day turnaround for a 55 Chevy, the plater would probably die laughing!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    5window likes this.