Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to remove vent glass from frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evintho, Nov 9, 2021.

1. evintho

evintho

It's been in there for 67 years. I've talked to glass guys and they say heat the frame. Don't own a heat gun. Why couldn't I just lay a piece of tin foil down and pop it in the oven at 500* for 20 minutes? It's just glass, stainless, rubber and adhesive. Am I asking for trouble or will that work?
    Wife has already given me the go ahead.

P1010003_7.JPG

2. LAROKE

LAROKE

I've gotten them apart in the past by soaking them overnite in mineral spirits (in a spray bottle) and gently prying them out the next day.

3. Place the vent on cardboard. Hit the glass with a hammer. Some carb spray around the edges and use a razor blade to cut into the setting tape. Are use a small screwdriver and start at the top pushing the blade under the frame and start working the glass. I wear glasses while working on these small frame in case the glass pops.

6sally6 and vtx1800 like this.
  4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I think I would try 300 degrees to just loosen it's grip, 500 may be too destructive. Also, I would try spray carb cleaner on the adhesive line, it seems to soften most adhesives - no heat.
    But definitely one or the other - NOT BOTH. I can't imagine what the wife would say if you blew the door off her oven.

5. squirrel

squirrel

it's laminated glass, that is cracked. So you don't have to worry about it exploding like tempered glass does. And you don't have to worry about cracking the glass.

I usually use a block of wood and a hammer to gradually knock the frame off the glass. never failed

chevyfordman and WiredSpider like this.
  6. chopped

chopped

How can anyone live without a $10.00 heat gun?

7. When I worked in the junkyard back when cars had wind wings, we just banged the back of the frame with a rubber mallet. Glass usually slid right out.

8. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

Worked for me also.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The oven thing is going to give you melted plastic (lamination) and possibly a fire.
    You might just clamp the glass in a vise (with somthing between the glass and the vise and see about tapping the frame off the glass.

chevyfordman likes this.
  10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The burnt rubber and chemicals will enter the vents and inner surfaces of mommas oven. You’ll be buying her a 800.00 oven instead of a $10 heat gun.
    believe me. You’ll be needing it for many applications.

11. Swing by the hardware store and get you a propane torch, that's how I get them out, that's also how I get the sash channel off of door glass.

chevyfordman likes this.
  12. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I used this guy's method on my '53 Ford. Worked perfectly. Same vent window assembly as the OPs.

302GMC likes this.
  13. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wow, I was waiting for someone to say, "very carefully".

14. evintho

evintho

Got it! Sliced it deeply with a razor knife, soaked it in PB Blaster and pried the glass out with a thin screwdriver and did some pounding using a wooden block. Oh....that was fun. Thanks for the tips!

squirrel likes this.
  15. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

They are great people to work with - I use their channel setting rubber when putting the glass back INTO the frame too.

Cheers,
    Harv