Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What's the Market Doing to Your Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

What's the Market Doing to Your Car?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

jnaki likes this.
  2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I've considered listing mine at a stupid high price. If it doesn't sell, great, if it does great and I'll buy when prices crash.

belair likes this.
  3. I've been wondering if I should sell mine before the bubble bursts.

4. 4tford

4tford

The past 1 3/4 years has made me wonder about selling. I don't see a better year ahead either so car prices are sure to follow a downward spiral.

5. I didn't get involved with old cars to make money. I will keep what I have and enjoy them. When I move on to the used car lot in the sky my family can sell them for whatever they're worth at that time.

6. I really don’t pay much attention since I don’t plan on selling my car. The only thing I see the market is doing to my car is keeping it from getting some of the things I wish I could do to it because prices on EVERYTHING keep going up lately. If I could just move into a box and quit eating, I could afford to fix several issues on my car. :D

MJW, NoSurf, chevy57dude and 9 others like this.
  7. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Ha, that's what my wife says every time I'm buying something at a good price. I tell her "really we're MAKING money, not spending it." and she says "if you won't sell it, it ain't worth a dime...."

So yeah, meyou samesame

8. 327Eric

327Eric

60s c10s and 59 ElCaminos are outrageous right now. The ElCaminos seem to be stabilizing, but the C10s are climbing like crazy. I lost my C-10 to family, but still have the 59 ElCamino, but if the offer is High enough, I Might consider a new project. I will never be able to replace what I have which keeps me grounded.

9. rot hodder

rot hodder

Collector car prices and costs to build today are outrageous. Not purchased or built a new ride in years due this. Seen stock 1972 Pinto sell for $17k on national auction website recently. Something very wrong with that!!

HunterYJ, chevy57dude, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a matching numbers C2 Corvette coupe that I have had for almost 40 years. It will be going down the road next year, because I see prices (for these cars at least) at the very apex of their value.

Of course, if it was still pleasurable for me to drive (I now have severe arthritis), I would never consider selling.

11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't sell cars. I buy them because I like them so I keep them. And I'm not really in the market right now, so no impact on me.

12. Yea, I did bail on my 66 C10 recently that I didn’t figure I ever wanted to sell. Between needing the money and stupid prices, seemed like a good time to not need it.

210superair and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  13. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've been on the HAMB 6 years and your first post is about a Pinto? ;) Welcome to the fray!

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Yup! You make money on the buy, honey. That's why I keep you around*.

Wait. Never mind!

* "If its got tires or tits, sooner or later there's gonna be trouble."

Hooligan603 and 41rodderz like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Gets talked about a lot. I still wonder how much is actually selling at the insane “for sale on Instagram” prices I see. I sure don’t know anyone paying it.

16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

selling will almost always lead to future regret. how many "help me find my old car" posts have we seen??? I am going to my grave with most of my stuff....

17. Everything is cyclical. Folks who try to time the market on car prices are only wasting their time.

i.rant, rod1, chevy57dude and 6 others like this.
  18. In 1958 there were some dudes sitting around lamenting the high prices of their Brass Era cars and how it was killing the hobby

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  19. The only markets that interest me right now are meat and produce. When it comes to cars, there's always going to be deals out there because someone has gotten in over his head and needs to bail. Patience and cash is all it takes. Seems funny how this place is always bitchin' about how flippers gouge the market, but when the market starts the gouging the HAMB is quick to jump on the band wagon.

Joe Travers, Tman and guthriesmith like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

Anyone want to buy a nice 65 barracuda?

I had to pay triple for the POS I just took on a LeMons Rally. But I might be able to still make a buck on it when I sell it.

anyways....the cars I'm keeping, the market isn't doing anything to.

Cosmo49, chevy57dude, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  21. Jack Rice

Jack Rice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My enjoyment is derived from driving the ones I've got. My daughters, who are also into hot rods will eventually end up with them. Hopefully they'll still be able to get gasoline and drive them .

22. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

you can ask whatever you want . its only worth what you sell it for . not ONE cent more. all the bs is just that . last week my daughter bought a loaded 20 21 dodge hemi quad cab 3500 4x4 off the floor . 21 mi. . 50 k ! i see crazy people trying to sell 2016 s for that price . no bodies buying them !!!

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Not A thing, until me and wife can no longer care for our selves. Sold!

hemihotrod66 likes this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Actually the market is making me appreciative. My ‘48 “Effie” I am building will have me in the black as far as value . I AM keeping it but it’s nice to know.

chevy57dude likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the two main reasons I took a hiatus from hotrods and my 48 around 2004 was that I flat got sick and tired of the constant bs from car show spectators asking how much it was worth. When little kids started asking what it was worth rather than how fast it would go I had had enough and went sailing.
    Simply meaning that the resale value of anything I have ever built or owned was the least concern to me outside of a couple of OT rigs I bought to flip.
    My daughter has already laid claim to the 48 as she grew up in it and attended her first car show in it at 5 weeks old. My son will have to settle for what ever other project I finish.

Zookeeper and drdave like this.
  26. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im just wondering what my 20k i sell my car for will buy ! a tank of gas and a steak ? i dont foresee inflation going but one way .id ad a arrow here pointing up , but i dont see that option ?????

olscrounger likes this.
  27. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

let your son finish the project . then he might care about it !

Chavezk21 likes this.
  28. williebill

williebill

I've spent stupid money on stuff for my projects, not to increase their value, but because I saw something cool that I wanted. None of that money is recoverable in any market, and since not many like the same stuff I like, resale value doesn't mean a thing to me.

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey guys... please don't post political facebookish shit here.

30. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

much better than th response i was thinking!!