Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bucket Seats for Bigger Guys…

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by huevosrancheros, Nov 8, 2021.

1. huevosrancheros

huevosrancheros

Fellas,

Over the past 5 years, my pops and I have been working on my 65 ranchero. Well, late this summer, we finally got it road worthy and discovered that my pops doesn’t fit in bucket seats I ordered. My skinny ass fits like a glove (30” waist), but my pops (38” waist) requires a shoehorn to get in or out of them.

We both really like the look of the OMP vintage buckets that are in there but not having my old man able to share in the driving/riding of the car we both worked so hard on is a major bummer.

I’m hoping you guys might have some suggestions/feedback for alternatives. We both like the look of low-back and/or bomber-style buckets (like the Stryker seats, if you guys are familiar with those). Really we just want something that looks ‘right’ in the cabin and also provides some bolstering so we don’t slide around too much.

And because everyone likes pictures, attached is what the current OMP seats look like in there (before I got most of the interior buttoned up). I also attached I couple pictures of the ranchero from the maiden voyage, just because I’m like a proud poppa. :)

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.
    -Chris

29E5F24E-5E0A-40F7-9264-D8AC189F0B1F.jpeg 608F5476-7EA9-457C-8188-3E5F255E8276.jpeg C28FC0CC-FA55-4850-8B33-4BA74D0A70B0.jpeg

lothiandon1940, loudbang and wraymen like this.
  2. They just don't build those style seats for fat guys... LOL. You could build your own, otherwise I think you'll need a more 'conventional' type seat.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

just slide in a bench seat for your fat asses lol

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just widen it.

5. spudshaft

spudshaft

Car looks great. I’m a little surprised your dad won’t fit because a 38” waist isn’t all that big, especially nowadays.

how about early mustang buckets or something similar?

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  6. I was thinking the same thing. Are men’s clothes now getting like women’s? Where a size 8 is the new 12?LOL

7. huevosrancheros

huevosrancheros

Thanks for the responses guys.

Pops really isn’t that big (6’, built like a linebacker). The seats are just mega narrow at the back (where the bolsters, back and bottom of the seat meet). Like I mentioned, I’m pretty skinny and i feel ‘tucked in’ when I sit down - I think these seats are narrower than most and was hoping that they’re not all this tight.

I wouldn’t mind having a bench seat but in addition to being skinny, I’m also short (5’7”). What can I say - I’m the runt of the family. The problem that creates is that in order for me to fully engage the clutch, my passenger’s knees have to get real friendly with the dashboard… short people problems.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Have you considered suspension seats, the side bolsters are less obtrusive.
    These are from Mastercraft but there are a few other brands.
    20171125_163444.jpg

gnichols and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Split-bench seat solves that problem, but no bolsters. Lots of OEM buckets that have little to no bolsters, & some that do. Just need recovering. & probably adapting to a slide mechanism, but then you can get 6-way+, for more comfort in driving position(s). How much do you need for a look, or maybe for auto-crossing, etc?
    Marcus...

10. [​IMG]
    1965 Falcon buckets were made for that car.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  11. .There are TV shows now for that way of thinking!:eek:

12. 34Phil

34Phil

Corbeau offers wider bucket seats by belt size

gnichols likes this.
  13. oldsman41

oldsman41

The 60s thunderbird seats may work if you can find some nice frames

14. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I think a thing call age might have something to do with getting in and out of your bucket seats. The seats you have are designed to keep you in there. In order to help me get in and out I ditched the cloth inserts and cut down the lower sides and reupholstered with slippery vinyl. Night and day.

15. Hey, I knew a girl that was into vintage clothing. She always joked about her size changing depending on how old the dress was. (Sort of like zero weight oil….inside joke).

chevy57dude and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I'm a big guy, 6' 5" and about 240. Could have been worse, I had a great-grandfather who was 6' 8", don't know how he fit into the cars of his day. Anyway, the most comfortable bucket seats I ever sat in were in an '03 Toyota Avalon we used to have. Those should be about the right width for your car.

17. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I go to local pic-a-part when they have 40% off and look for buckets that have no or very small side bolsters. I'm about same size as your dad. I found some ford bronco seat that will fit. Oh i have 64 ranchero also

18. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

BTW; ~ '04-'05 Saab Aero models in 9-3 & also 9-5, have small & large bolsters respectively, are comfortable, & reasonably small. Other bennies, too, although OT.
    Marcus...