Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How about a Stuck in Chrome Shop Prison Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Nov 7, 2021.

1. BJR

BJR

I know we have a stuck in paint prison thread, but lately the cars I work on at work and my 49 Buick have all been waiting for chrome parts. Some have been waiting for almost a year. The platers keep making promises of next week, but that never happens. Is this happening to anyone else?

Kevin Ardinger and Gofannon like this.
  2. Gofannon

Gofannon

I've been waiting on my engine builder for a year, can't even get into paint or chrome prison.

3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

The last jail that broke me was machine shop. Waited 13 months for basic boil/flux/bore/valve job at a shop near Atlanta. So fed up, it has changed my approach to what engines I'm choosing in the future, E.g, if it needs an overhaul, I'm not buying. Crate engines, running take-outs only for me.

4. I've dealt with several Chrome shops over the years,From big shops on the West Coast across the country to small shops that went under due to the EPA's overreach couldn't survive all the hazardous waste rulings, just the sign of the times.

I started dealing with Steve at Advance Platting about 15 years ago and with all the disasters that has happened to his business, both flooding and a fire caused considerable damage but he has come back.

I lost a few pieces in the fire, but fortunately they were not rare nor unobtainable.

Chrome platting is a slow process and time consuming, and it's not getting any cheaper.

I have purchased several bumpers from Tri-City Platting in Elizabethton, Tennessee on a exchange basis and have been extremely pleased with their work.

I have had shops in the past promise a quick turn around and at one shop I finally drove 400 miles to get my unchromed parts after getting the run around for a solid year!, that's when I sent the parts to Advanced Platting and was installing them on the car in less than 3 months. HRP

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I had two bumpers in the chrome shop for six months once. His moto was "This place ain't Burger King , you get it done my way or you don't get the s.o.b." They did do a good job though.

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I took my 37 bumpers in about this time last year. He said he’d probably have them done by spring, but no promises. Small shop, he gets what comes in, and sends it out when it’s done.

Got them back in July. We kept in touch, so it was cool, I knew what was going on. Not happy they ran late, but times are tough.

Talking with him, supplies have been a huge problem. In June, he had 35 sets of bumpers lined up waiting for chrome. Last step, no supplies. He also said his costs for everything doubled or more last year, so his prices are going up to compensate.

7. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Our Chrome guy usually has a two to three week turnaround, comes down from LA picks stuff up and returns it.

gimpyshotrods and -Brent- like this.
  8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Do you get the idea we are a dying breed? Sad to say. Lippy

9. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it’s true , chrome is crazy expensive.. Figure a 58 Buick.. wowzers...10 grand is on the low side...

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Glad I have my ‘48 “Effie”. No need for all those doodads.

charleyw likes this.
  11. Well, my chrome parts were done and waiting on me to pick them up. Two rear bumper guards, that needed some dent repair, and then full re-chrome. Think it was about 3 weeks, and they called to tell me ready for pick up. Just last month. Guess I got lucky.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    -Brent- and hotrodharry2 like this.
  12. I’d rather put my loot into things that keep me running, plus, hard to get good chrome over here that lasts.

13. Chrome guys must have a LOT of storage for all this stuff that's waiting.
    I was only thinking about this last night. If I have to wait 5-6 months for the job to be done, why not keep the parts at home rather than at his place? If they are just going to be sitting there doing nothing.
    I know it's a rhetorical kind of question.

14. Had the pot metal tail lights on my 55 Cameo rehromed by a shop in Montana.They specialized in this metal so I shipped them from Calif. Took them at least 6 months.I was sure they had either melted them in a tank,or stole them as they are rare.Visions of driving to Montana ,and torching their shop danced in my head. Seems waiting isnt my strong suit.They did finally arrive ,and looked very nice.

15. BJR

BJR

We just did the chrome for a 34 Pierce Arrow $27,000, and did not include the bumpers.

5window, rod1, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  16. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

So glad that all I have is a '40 Ford!! lol

Algoma56 likes this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

Whoa.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  18. My shit doesn't need, nor does it get new chrome. It's a hot rod. I just wanna drive it and raise hell in it.

210superair likes this.
  19. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been a fan of "chrome don't get you home" but looking at the bumpers on my '54 Ranch Wagon I probably will have chrome sticker shook in my future.

20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

on news just now the term "skimpflation" was used - many types of businesses are charging more, providing less with many delays - overall lowest customer satisfaction in 15 years - the new "normal" - chrome just one of the many - know that some of the chrome bumper vendors at swaps & shows get work done in Mexico - but, due to Covid regulations getting products there & back has been tough

uncleandy 65 likes this.
  21. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

What's that old saying "you get what you pay for" Or not? Good isn't fast and quality isn't cheap.
    A good friend of mine and I drove a few pieces from his 55 BelAir and one of my O/T Oldsmobile's to Advanced Plating last January. They gave us and estimate of aprox 8 to 12 weeks. We picked our finished product up in May and couldn't be more satisfied. Work was done great all is good.
    Highly recommend Advance Plating. Joe

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use 2 small shops near me in Orange County So Cal. Both are great and right on time. Only once was a problem and it had to do with polishing the chrome on the wrong side of some Rupp turbine outer steel rims for our go-kart restoration. Both are in Santa Ana.

gimpyshotrods and -Brent- like this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have a chrome fund and while I've been saving, I have been looking around for a decent shop with a decent turn around.

I don't need show chrome or the welds smoothed and polished away but all my stuff is in pretty good shape.

I've been thinking about polishing most of it on my own and sending off a couple more intricate items to a local metal polishing shop to have it prepped.

But finding a shop, in state, has been the bugger. We just had a shop close that would have been perfect for what I want.

I'd seriously be willing to take a little road trip for a weekend getaway to drop off parts.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

I knew of a guy who did that, pick up the parts and back door the work at another chrome shop after hours when the owner wasnt around, got caught and the customer lost his parts-- so be careful

lumpy 63 likes this.
  25. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some shops are using south of the border facilities… wheel guys in so cal did that for years.

26. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

What shop are you plater are you waiting on? (North Star maybe?) They did my bumpers a few years ago and did a unbelievable job on them, the polishing plating finish was perfect. It took a four or five months but I told them I was not in a hurry.

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not allowing waste products to be dumped into public sewer systems, or waterways is EPA over reach?

That's what put those shops under.

Either you don't know what that, or do and chose to ignore it.

They were dumping in the storm drains and sewers!

Please tell me that you are not ok with that.

28. 5window

5window

Thanks for calling them out. Inconvenient yeah, but convenience shouldn't come at the expense of poisoning us all.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  29. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'm in the same predicament with a guy that is restoring a license plate for me. He told me that it is a one month turn around. It's been three months and I'm still waiting. I'm going to give him two more weeks and just tell him to keep my money and just send the plate back.

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Locally we have one word that sums this up...Boomsnub.
    Google it.