Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Dean Lowe in the January 2022 issue of Hot Rod Magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TrailerTrashToo, Nov 7, 2021.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Hot Rod - Dean Lowe.jpg Just came in the mail.

Russ

p.s. Note the 50 cent cover price, $7.99 today...

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I have the now probably ruined original one that I got back then out in the storage shed.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations to Dean...I certainly see where he gets the clean machine bug...instilled at an early age I'm pretty sure...

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Dean and his car continue to be the quintessential hot rod/hot rodder.
    Barry Navarro?? Really? I wonder if any of the current crew even know who he was.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Dean made a big impression on me when I was 11 years old, still have my copy in the top draw of a filing cabinet. Congratulations on your anniversary.

Bob

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. catdad49

catdad49

48, my issue has seen a similar fate, especially the cover! Still, remember the impression it made on me in my youth.

8. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

Same here for leaving an impression even after all these years. Just shows the impact of a great single photographic image and a super cool hot rod.

loudbang, Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  9. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

P.S. I am amazed at how many Hot Rod cover cars still bounce around in my head when someone posts one of those old covers with a iconic hot rod on the cover. I wish I could remember other stuff as well.

10. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All-time cool.

loudbang, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. 37gas

37gas

That roadster pickup is still running in the U K at the Pendine sands hot rod races, look on you tube

12. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dean Lowe, hot rodding's King of Cool

loudbang, i.rant, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  13. Congratulations Dean, I am among that group of kids at that time that you and your red roadster pickup made a huge impact on my life.

Recently I was doing so remodeling and ran across the January 1962 issue which was the first hot rod magazine I ever got, my mom bought it for me at Bryant's corner drug store.

I sent ask Dean a PM and ask him if he would autograph it for me and Dean being athe man he is said sure, it is that magazine and Dean's pickup that made me into a hot rodder, I knew some day I would own a hot rod someday. HRP

1bb9adea-4f59-4133-8587-5474aacacc40.jpeg

14. I don't know if you guys are aware of the fact but Dean's pickup was featured in the top 3 publications within 6 moths of each other,January 1962 Hot Rod, April 1962 Rod & Custom and the very first issue of Popular Hot Rodding.

How many people can say that. HRP

15. bchctybob

bchctybob

PHR too?, I didn’t know that. I’ll have to dig out my copy and check it out.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Story. I lived in Las Cruces New Mexico in the sixties, in about 1969 a blue colored roadster pickup, similar to Dean's drove through my neighbor hood, never saw it again, but.....I have forgotten lots of things, but I didn't forget that hot rod pickup:) Sorry, no pictures, my phone was hanging on the wall in the house!

17. Recently, Mark posted a thread about Hot Rod Magazine and how it effected us, I have posted several times in the past how a certain issue struck a cord with me, I posted this, and thought you might get a kick out of it.

[​IMG]

This photo could have easily been a snapshot of my sister & I on that faithful Saturday morning at Bryant's Corner Drug Store in 1962, I had sit down in the floor and picked up a Hot Rod Magazine, The red Hot rod on the cover caught my eye, I was 12 years old and knew nothing about hot rods and had just started reading and mom told me it's time to go, I pleaded with her to buy me that magazine.

She bought me the magazine and I was hooked on what I was reading about, later on my granddad bought me a subscription and I started learning, I told everyone that would listen that I was going to build a hot rod some day.

I always subscribed to Hot Rod Magazine and do to this day - but this is not the end of the story and I have told this several times in the past, That HOT ROD MAGAZINE my mom bought me back in 1962
    featured Dean Lowe's Red Model A roadster pickup.

Who would have thought that I would eventually know Dean as a fellow hamber!

Believe it or not there is another twist of faith, recently our daughter got a divorce and moved back home, so we started cleaning out a spare bedroom that had become a catch all for almost 50 years, as you can guess we found a lot of lost treasures but in a old box of books & magazines I found THE VERY SAME HOT ROD MAGAZINE with Dean Lowe & his red roadster pickup on the cover.

After all these years I still have the very magazine that got me involved in the life long obsession with Hot Rods, now that I have found the magazine and Dean has autographed it HRP.

18. catdad49

catdad49

That's a Great story, Danny!

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Magazines aside Dean and Team were tough competitors at the track winning many awards as well and as alluded is still haulin' ass...

Show & Go

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great stories! And cool on Dean for autographing your magazine for you! It's also cool as hell he is a member on here and active!

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  21. Special Ed

Special Ed

22. 5window

5window

Congratulations to Dean. I remember that cover as a 12 year old.

Fifty cents in '62 is about $4.50 today, so we're a bit behind the curve here. I still get HRM but it was a better magazine in 1962.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  23. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I was working at Schifano's at my first job other than paper routes when they did the upholstery. How's that for timing? :)
    Wayno

Dean Lowe, loudbang, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I still have that ‘62 issue,back then it passed the time in study hall.:D

25. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

$.50 was about what I earned as a stock/clerk in a grocery store per hour in 62. Who can yo find today who will work for $7.99. Min wage here in Mass. is $13.00 I think. Fast food resturants are paying $15.00 and not hiring anyone.

loudbang likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

20211108_164316.jpg very Cool

Last edited: Nov 10, 2021
    Stogy, Dean Lowe and loudbang like this.
  27. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Stogy, Special Ed and loudbang like this.
  28. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Golden Oldie

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  29. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I was fortunate to meet Dean at the 2019 GNRS, he was one of the first to greet Pat Ganahl and I, when we displayed the Spalding Special copy. Great guy !

curbspeed, 427 sleeper and Stogy like this.