Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1940 Ford project or how to ruin a perfectly good car

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by the man, Nov 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So I picked up this 40 coupe. It looks to be a 70s survivor. It’s been in storage for 20+ years. It’s got a 62 corvette 327/4 speed and rear. Just about rust free and straight. Looks to be yellow enamel with a pearl over it. I’m still working on plans. But thinking taildragger.

Attached Files:

2. So the rear suspension is intriguing. Two sets of wishbones made into ladder bars. The axle mount sits under the frame and has 1in of travel before it hits the frame. Probably the only reason it hasn’t broke. The coil overs are mounted on a bent bolt? Oh and the wheels lugs are held on with 3-4 threads. Nice. I drove it 3hrs home and easily broke 90mph. I already had plans fir a whole ne suspension front and rear, so not a big deal.

Attached Files:

3. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

put some gas in it and go. could change the wheels??

4. Some possible ideas

Attached Files:

Cooon, Squablow, hfh and 6 others like this.

5. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

That Coil-Over mount = The feeling you get when you realize your sitting in gum and have to sit out the rest of the movie !

6. alchemy

alchemy

That coilover bolt looks like you might get a taildragger look sooner than expected.

7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Very interesting rear suspension

Stogy likes this.
  8. Change the wheels and tires, fix the suspension and drive it.

Here's to the hope that the coil over bolt is grade 8.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  9. RMONTY

RMONTY

Im not a fan of taildraggers and to me, your car screams "Im a BAD MOFO!". Clean it up and make it safe. Drive it till the wheels fall off which will be soon if you don't fix the lugnuts. Especially @ 90 MPH! :eek:

10. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Nice coupe, that suspension definitely needs some attention. Wheels are ET Kelstars from early 80’s.

11. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I like your ideas. Skirt it n drag it. I'm not even a huge tail dagger fan, but it depends on the car, and that would look beautiful low.

12. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've heard of suicide front ends before, but that's the first suicide rear end I've seen. YIKES.

Glad you made it home safe. God must have other plans for you. I like the '70s hot rod it is, and I like your taildragger plans too. You can't lose.

909F2038-CF7A-4B16-A755-9DD019B554F2.jpeg 409A0549-3067-48DC-BA47-821427AC216D.jpeg

Squablow, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

One of the best fitting 40 hoods I’ve ever seen.;)
    Build it your way and enjoy.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Your car has lots of good miles ahead. Fix the suspension and enjoy it.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

jeez, that coil over mount!! I like 40 customs and hotrods, so im watching..

dan griffin, Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. I used to know a guy who played the accordion. That coil-over bolt reminded me of him.:eek:

loudbang, bchrismer and Stogy like this.
  17. Yikes! Makes you wonder how many miles it has on that rear suspension setup.

Stogy likes this.
  18. jaracer

jaracer

That coil over mount is super scary. The bolt is bent in the thread area.

Stogy likes this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I agree. building it into a tail dragger would ruin it.

20. I'd Highly recomend the Ladder Bar set up the R Jays Speedshop sells. I installed one in my 39 sedan and man is it nice rides like a caddy and hooks hard when you romp it. They make a set up specifically for 35 to 40 fords.

Stogy, loudbang, X38 and 5 others like this.
  21. All the more reason to make a tail dragger out of it!
    PASO9910-vi.jpg 182-vi.jpg

22. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Those valve cover spacers indicate there's something non-stock underneath.

loudbang likes this.
  23. Already ordered one.

Squablow, Stogy, patmanta and 3 others like this.
  24. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tail drag it if you must : please don't chop it. Maybe a nice set of steelies and caps.

dan griffin and olscrounger like this.
  25. The '40 Ford is one of the best cosmetically designed cars ever produced. I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool restorer by any means, but chopping, tail dragging, molding fenders to the body, and a bunch of other mods we commonly see just waste a good car, IMHO. Packards, Hudsons, maybe even Checker cabs can be tail draggers, but a '40??? Never!

26. In my humble opinion you’re probably right. And honestly with such a nice car I almost feel bad cutting it up. It really is in super good condition. It actually threw my plan off a bit. My intentions were to buy a 40 sedan and then a re-pop decklid and convert that into a convertible with a super chopped Carson top on it similar to Dennis McPhill‘s 40, but then the popped up and I just couldn’t say no.

Squablow and Stogy like this.
  27. I love '40 Hot Rods, and like many have said would be their pref, I'd probably follow that same theme of fixing the poorly engineered suspension and drive the crap out of it. I like '40s with all the stock trim on them, but that's my personal preference.

That being said, I have had dreams of a tail dragging '40 convertible lingering around in my brain that has all the stock trim, skirts, with a stance similar to Dave Conrad's '36. However, that dream quickly fades to a '40 convertible that has the proper nose down raked stance, painted "Kessler roadster yellow", black tuck & roll interior, black top boot, and is running a set of American Rebel Sprints. LOL

I can't help you on this.

Stogy and Nitroholic like this.
  28. Stogy likes this.
  29. When I was in high school, (1958) I decided to make some mega long shackles and lower my '40 coupe to the ground. Thought it might look cool. Drove it to school one time, took it home and put it back up where it should have been.

Jessie J. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.