Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical High Quality Turn Signal Switch?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CaliforniaDreaming, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Want to get a turn signal switch for my stock '41 Ford that doesn't have one. I've seen some in person that are made in (you know, that country) that look like they'd fall apart in a week and set your car on fire. I've seen another in person in the $500 range that seems awesome, that's programmable and does LEDs but only does 12 volt. So far I have a 6 volt positive ground system that I'll hang on to until I'm forced to change. Lights and turn signals don't seem like quite a good enough reason to change; there are work-arounds.

It's hard to tell by looking at internet pictures whether something's junk or not.

Here's two I'm looking at, any experience with these or recommendations for others?

Limeworks Art Deco switch:
    TS112AD-2T.jpg

S/M Electro-Tech switch:
    TS4_SWS.JPG

Truck64 likes this.
  2. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kadillackid, Joe Blow and squirrel like this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I searched and located a NOS Allstate. Good /similar period correct turn signal units (Signal Stat) often turn up on that website.
    allstate indicator.jpg

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hamtown Al and Tow Truck Tom like this.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^ This--I have used that one but under edge of dash with 40 knob on the end of handle-have done a few this way. The car is a stocker and 6 volt-just didn't look right strapped to the 40 column

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Hamtown Al likes this.
  6. Budget36 likes this.
  7. Turn signal is a switch. It shouldn't care what voltage car is running, unless you are going to power a lot of lights, then wiring on some cheap switches might not be large enough for six volts.

2OLD2FAST, XXL__ and Hnstray like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the Truck lite 900 (black) and 901 (chrome) you have the choice of 12 or 24 Volt depending on what pilot light bulb and flasher you use.

pprather likes this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another option but not really traditional is a dash mounted switch from an early English car. The have some type of built in cancelling device so you won't end up driving for miles with your turn signal on if you forget to turn it off. Original Lucas units are pricey and the repops that vendors like Moss Motors are exactly cheap either. And I don't know if you would want to risk infecting your ride with something from the Prince of Darkness. FWIW I using a black 7 wire Signal Stat type unit that I got from a truck supply on my '39 p/u. Doesn't look out of place and looks period correct. But its not self cancelling and yes I do on occasion drive with it on long after I completed the turn I was signaling for. JMO.

10. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a Tickin Thru Time set up on my Model A. http://ronsmachineshop.com/Hidden_Turn_Signal_Kits.htmlI mounted it on the shift lever and ran a long piece of Harbor Freight shrink tube down the shift lever to hide the wire. It worked great but I had to switch it to a 12 V when I changed the engine. I really like the kit. I do still have the 6V kit that I took out. PM me if interested in it. I really missed the column shift in my 40 when I went to a T5. To keep some semblance of an original look I flipped the stock shift column to the left side and used an aftermarket turn switch from one of the Chev truck suppliers. I mounted the switch under the dash and work it with the shift lever. Something to think about if you go with a T5. IMG_3136.jpg IMG_4013.jpg

11. patterg2003

patterg2003

12. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

I have a Yankee (completely refurbished) and a KD (nos with box and paperwork), both 6 volt.....that I didn't use. If you're interested, let me know.

DSC01301.JPG

Roger Loupias and mgtstumpy like this.
  13. I'm using one of these Hella units. They still make them, but the housing is now plastic rather than potmetal.
    (Pic from @neilswheels)
    [​IMG]

14. FlatJan

FlatJan

you can also buy a vintage not working Signal Stat 900 (small pilots, a bit of patina) and a new Signal Stat 900 (ugly big hazard pilot).
    if you got them, flip the cases!
    that's what i did. you get an all new inside but period correct outside switch plus spare parts.
    Screenshot_20211109-092947_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  15. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe not as pretty but during the almost 3 million miles I racked up in 4 different tractors with the last trucking company I drove for, I'm pretty sure that I only replaced two turn signal switches and they were the same ones that @Mr48chev shared the link to. They take a lot of abuse but they work.

16. I have one of those Signal Stat switches on my International, been there and working since 1979.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  17. RM209

RM209
    from MD

Another recommendation for a Signal-Stat truck turn signal switch. They were used on heavy trucks for decades. I’ve seen them on eBay listed as NOS. Many have a pull-out lever or button for the 4-way flashers. I think it’s a cool feature, but some might not agree.
    RM209

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    Cosmo49 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  18. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Totally agree about buying on Ebay. Bought some great things for my project off there. It's almost to the point where I should put a bumper sticker on my car that says The Car That Ebay Built.

kadillackid and Elcohaulic like this.
  19. Glad I posted. Lot's of great set-ups. Obviously, I just wasn't looking in the right places.

20. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

When contact points ruled the day, they used Tungsten for the point faces and other materials like phenolic for the rubbing block to make them last, instead of recycled beer can and milk jug plastic or whatever.

21. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Very nice new modern old looking signal switch. Mooneyes’s has the “ Blinkie”.
    Not cheap, set up for LED’s. Nice Column collar , no hose clamp. Stretch

22. A Boner

A Boner

Have one on my coupe...makes wiring turn signals real easy. Looks like shit made in the 50’s. Has lasted for years, and if it fails tomorrow, I’ll get the exact one again!

upload_2021-11-9_23-16-25.jpeg
    Anyone know what year this style was first sold?
    50’s...60’s...70’s???

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  23. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

I use this vintage one manufactured by Yankee. You can remove the paint and polish the aluminum.
    It's not a plug and play, you need to add a couple relays and a flasher to make it function in a combined signal, running and brake light housing.

housing.[​IMG]

kadillackid and ramblin dan like this.
  24. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

This might make that Yankee easier. yankee info.jpg yankee 1.jpg

Hamtown Al and Max Gearhead like this.
  25. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Yes, that will work. I installed relays so the brake light turns off on in the same housing as the directional. so it doesn't wash out the turn signal light when stopped.

26. Do a Google search for "monark turn signal images".
    They are makers of many types of t-signals, including for tractors and heavy trucks. Many are contemporary but it also seems like they still produce their oldest, original switches. I actually bought one of their dash-mounted types for a future project. It's a basic 3-position switch so yea, you have to also add a flasher.
    A couple of examples are shown below. Obviously, some don't self-cancel but some have the indicator bulbs built-in which helps remind you.
    Chances are you will sometimes forget to manually cancel...... but that's no big deal...... it's traditional. :p

Monark-1.jpg Monark-2.jpg Monark-3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I speculated on this a bit here.

28. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

29. Lakeside65

Lakeside65

Question, the way this is wire would the turn signal override the brake light? Say for example you had the right blinker on and you hit the brakes, what happens?

30. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Where you have two bulbs in one housing, the trailer wiring adapter takes care of that, without the box the brake light being very bright and constant, would wash out the directional. You can do this with two relays also. The magic trailer box makes it simple.
    If you had separate housings for the directionals, there would be no need for the box.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022