Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Are your parts really for sale?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Nov 8, 2021.

1. So how long do you keep bumping your classified ad before you start realizing that, 1. You lost your damn mind when you priced it. Or 2. Nobody needs it.? I always go to the classifieds first thing, hoping to find that sweet piece I've been looking for, but it's always the same overpriced 32 Ford piece, or outrageous hemi valve covers lol. After being bumped for a year, it's it truly for sale? Sorry, I needed to bitch about something this morning :cool::D

enloe, mad mikey, rpm56 and 48 others like this.
  2. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need a hug big guy?

Woogeroo, IronFord, Boryca and 11 others like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

I think it's less about the price or the desirability and more about the fact that very few people look at the classifieds here regularly. On a worldwide platform like eBay a lot of that stuff would be long gone and quickly.

It's nice we have a place to put stuff for sale here, don't get me wrong. But it's hardly a 1 stop shop to sell projects and parts. Also, back in the Wild West days it seems like the classifieds were real cheap, like selling it there was "keeping it in the family" and just for those in-the-know, now it seems like most things there are priced at a super premium, often by sellers who don't even use the discussion board.

4. There's a 40 Ford sedan project for $11k that has been in the classifieds for YEARS. I guess if he's not in a hurry, the market will catch up to his asking price.

EDIT: I Searched for the ad, and couldn't find it. So maybe he sold it or gave up.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021

5. If I go through the trouble to list a part or car in the classifieds it's for sale. HRP

mad mikey, clem, ratrodrodder and 9 others like this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It happens on eBay, too.

I am seeing the same overpriced valve covers and adjustable rocker arms, now in their second year of listing.

I have found, bought, built, and sold off in less time, and for less money.

I can only assume the parts are not really for sale, or there is another hidden subtext.

7. This WAS a great place to buy and sell. I did a ton of it over the years. But you are correct with the classified only posters. I have better luck putting thigs in my signature where more folks will see

8. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For what it is worth, I listed my father in laws 64 Ford Fairlane on here three or four months ago. Crickets. Granted it was a four door, 82K miles, perfect interior, needed some love on the outside. I listed it on Hemmings, it went live on the "web" and the next day I got a call from someone in West Omaha (45 minutes away), he came and looked at it, made a fair offer and bought it the same day. The stars evidently aligned:) He had operated a auto repair shop for years but wanted a car that reminded him of his first car that his dad had purchased for him. And...it had NO electronics:) I've had better luck selling items on social media (Facebook), especially when I have something that another person is looking for.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

With free ads on the HAMB, people do list parts for high price in hopes someone will come along wanting it enough to pay the price. Same thing with craigslist and facebook marketplace. It costs nothing to list it so they're not out anything no matter how long it takes to sell it.
    When I sell stuff, I actually want to get rid of it and price it accordingly.

joel, corndog, Boneyard51 and 6 others like this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Well, take Hershey for an example. Last month was my 52nd Hershey. For about 10 years now I have been looking at a sign from a vendor that is for sale. The sign is from the 1920's. It features a shop from my town, with the address on it. The sign has been for sale for crazy money, but every year for the last 10 years, the owner rejects my offer. I guess in reality he really does not want to sell it but just enjoys displaying it.

mad mikey, clem, weps and 4 others like this.
  11. dwollam

dwollam

I look at the classified here every morning first thing. Lot's of stuff seems really high priced. I have though, bought several things I needed at reasonable prices here and have placed wanted ads that got great results. Maybe part of the high pricing is due to myself, and probably others, getting older and remembering what things used to sell for!?

I'll keep on looking at the ads!

I also look on C/L every morning.

I have at least quit buying cars and projects and am selling stuff now but still need to buy pieces to finish the current projects.

Dave

12. Some makes & models historically bring premium prices, '32 Fords & Corvettes are two cars that instantly come to mind. the original parts bring a hefty price, here or on ebay.

Personally I have limited knowledge of Corvette's but have been a deuce guy for many years and those parts continually go up. HRP

13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sheeeat.. I can’t even give away some of my cast iron GMC parts and no I don’t ship or crate. 2 cranks and a block. (302)
    Gave a set of rods to a poster here just for postage who was very thankful but never posted the use of them in his thread which was pretty long.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

eBay is were I list most of my stuff LOTS of NON HAMB friendly stuff, it pays the bills. They switched to managed payments, so if you buy something from me on Monday I'm lucky to have the money in my hand on Thursday. PayPal is SO MUCH BETTER, sell it, get paid and the money is in my account in an HOUR. I sold an item here on the HAMB to a guy in AUSTRALIA Saturday, got paid and spent the money at a flea market yesterday. Thank you HAMB Classifieds, thank you PayPal!

15. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I post my items for sale. And yes, some of my parts are listed high, because I don't really care if they sell. BUT, if they do sell, I can use the money on other stuff. I have 3 kinds of parts...the cheap For Sale pile (stuff I'll never use), the expensive For Sale pile (stuff I may use, if it doesn't sell) and the Keep Pile (stuff I'm gonna use).

16. I always check out the classifieds here, it's a nice freebee we all have the benefit of using. Thanks Ryan.

17. I check 'em every day as well. Dreamin' I guess. I have gotten lucky a few times and found deals.

18. I have a friend like that with cars. Most of his stuff is in the 60's and his stuff has been setting outside rotting for over 25 years . They are so far gone now that they are only good for scrap.
    Vic

Boneyard51 likes this.
  19. Well, when I price stuff whether a car or parts in the classifieds here, it is priced to sell and typically does... Although, I will be honest that I have also had more luck at times selling stuff more locally. I am typically more trying to get rid of stuff than make a fortune.

Boneyard51, alanp561, Blues4U and 4 others like this.
  20. Bitchin' about stuff is a sign of old age....

rpm56, Guthrie1068, Mo rust and 10 others like this.
  21. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

You would think after six months to a year of bumping the ad you would figure it out that it's not going to sell here or any other place you have it listed.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  22. Just get me a list of stuff you are looking for @Lloyd's paint & glass, and I’ll let you know what I can sell you for cheap. :D

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Better to unload on us then your wife . :D

24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

It’s like the old saying, “ stick both hands out palms facing up . Fill one with poop and one with air , which fills up faster. “:D Some of those high priced sellers want to get you down lower than a fair price, but have no qualms about asking the moon for said same item after.

whoodooman and Boneyard51 like this.
  25. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I check it once a day and came to the same conclusion, either it's priced to sell or they are just bored and curious if that part will actually sell at twice its going price anywhere else.

I've gotten a few good deals on there but many that I'd like to have I've found on ebay cheaper and bought there.

I don't list stuff very often but when I do I list it to sell not just a place holder with a Pic so others can see what I own.

Ebay has gotten really bad in the last couple yrs, dash boards at 500 when there is 3 more just like it for sale at 300, why would I pay you 200 more for the same item?

Got my 38 ford dash this way, followed several over priced ones then along came a gent and offered me one, nicer than what I was watching for 100. So I bought it immediately, I figured he really wanted to sell it.

My 100 dollar dash.....

Attached Files:

Boneyard51, alanp561 and Hnstray like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a Chevrolet guy that posts very funny replies when he bumps stuff, I find that enjoyable.

Bob

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am happy to be out of the "trying to buy things" phase.

Consumables and supplies aside, I have what I need to finish my last two projects.

I have nearly completed the "giving the rest away phase".

I have just a few small or heavy things left. I see no point in denying other builders the ability to complete their projects.

We are in the early twilight of this hobby. I want to see as many builds as is possible on the roads before it's over.

ratrodrodder, weps, joel and 6 others like this.
  28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! That is nice!

lostone likes this.
  29. Yeah she won't listen to me anymore lol....

enloe, alanp561, 427 sleeper and 3 others like this.
  30. I would like to believe that with so many members here, we ARE the people that set the value on the majority of parts. The first time I was at a swap meet and walked up to a 32 grille shell, I thought the guy was off his rocker! Then as I walked around looking, I seen that he had the same price as everybody else. So I bought a model A shell. You 32 guys must have some serious dough! Lol

enloe, LOU WELLS and 427 sleeper like this.