Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Attic Anglia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Jun 5, 2012.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Today I mounted my 3 x 1 intake on the test stand engine. It was a real learning experience as nearly every mounting lug gave me problems and each required a unique solution. The bottom lugs were particularly challenging. Two required anti-slip right-angle clips; two required a bridge clamp since the #4 intake runner has a unique lug location and I am effectively using three #4 runners on the three twin runner modules. The top rear #6 exhaust lug meant to secure the back EFI exhaust manifold on an EFI head interfered with the #6 intake runner and had to be removed; the #6 intake runner does not have the usual mounting lug found at the rear on a stock intake. That required a spacer on the rear mounting stud. The #1 intake runner does not have a dowel hole for the locating dowel so the runner was modified by filing a groove to clear the locating dowel.

The throttle shafts interfere with my custom valve cover. I installed a stock valve cover with two gaskets to test the tri-power. This intake will not be used on the same engine as will have the custom valve cover.

I also received three 10mm ball studs that need to be installed on the carbs so they are compatible with the linkage I'm using.

Anyway, little niggling issues that are both challenging and frustrating have been resolved.

I may consider a separate unique thread to explore the 3 x 1 intake build up.

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  2. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If and when you do begin a separate thread, would you please post a link on this thread so those of us that want to follow it will not miss it?

loudbang likes this.
  3. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Here is a 17 minute video of the recent engine startup including the 3 x 1 startup at the 3:07 mark. Enjoy

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I had to get a new submersible well pump. This one died. Some people see a burned out pump. I see a stainless steel radiator overflow tank in the making.
    2 3/4" in diameter

overflow 1.JPG

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I posted this die I made for bending square tubing over on my champ car thread and I am posting it here because I plan to use a under-cowl dual master cylinder on the Anglia. I'll bend up some 1" square tube to mount the MC and follow the curve of the firewall and probably have a removable top instrument panel to access the MC.
    sr_shell11.JPG sr_shell12.JPG sr_shell13.JPG sr_shell14.JPG

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    TFoch, LAROKE and loudbang like this.
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

CHRISTMAS ROCKS

A true anecdote

I had almost finished my morning bicycle ride and decided to stop at the Naples FL airport viewing stand to catch my breath and have a drink. The viewing stand is a raised deck at the end of the runway with picnic tables and seating for folks to watch planes taking off and landing. Also present were a couple of codgers who brought three boys – maybe seven or eight year-olds, probably their grandkids. These gents did not have the best grandparenting skills and spent their time talking loudly, spilling their beer on the table and largely ignoring their kids. The children, for their part, had long since become bored with watching the planes come and go every few minutes and soon resorted to climbing the railing and going down under the deck to play. Occasionally they would make some noise like rocks banging against the metal pillars of the deck. After being chastised by “gramps” to “keep it down and behave” the kids made a few more “klinks” of rocks on the posts.

One of the “grampas” walked over to the railing and looked down at the kids. Here is how the conversation went:

“Hey, what are you kids doing?”

“Collecting rocks”

“Why are you doing that? What are you going to do with a pile of rocks?”

“Sell them.”

“That’s nuts. Nobody wants to buy some rocks.”

It was at this point I had an idea. I walked back to my bike praying I had some coffee money left in my bike bag. Thankfully I did. I got the boys attention and asked them a couple of questions. Here is how the dialog went:

“Do you boys know where I could buy a rock?”

They looked at each other with surprise and one pointed to another and said, “We do.”

“Great! But since I’m wearing cycling gear I have no pockets. Do you think you could find me a very small rock I could carry on my bicycle? But it has to be a very pretty one.”

Off they went and after a minute they came back, one boy opened his hand to reveal two very pretty crystalline marble sized pebbles.

“How much?” I asked.

One whispered in another’s ear; the other whispered something back; the first shook his head and said, ”Nah, that’s too much”.

“How ‘bout two-for-a-dollar?”

“Perfect!” I said and handed them a dollar. And off I rode. As I was pedaling away one shouted out to me,

“Thank you, Merry Christmas.”

I’d have loved to have heard the conversation between the boys and “gramps”.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    BradinNC, brEad, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  8. AmishMike

AmishMike

Nice Christmas story, made a couple kids day. Way to go gramps

9. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

My friend and I picked that anglia up in st l;ouis in 1974,and dropped it off at Pete&Jakes , Pete was, out with the 34, they were shooting that movie the car was in' they were just starting up the Pete & Jakes hot rod repair . they were over in Temple City. Cant believe that was45 years ago!!

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

gary, I'd like to see some current pics of that car.

loudbang likes this.
  11. gary kessler 1932

gary kessler 1932

I dont have pics but if I remember it was at a place called FRANS PIT STOP, It had a v6 ford motor, a55 chev rear en, and anson wheels Fran had built 2/4 rect angle frame . and it was decent , When we went back a few weeks later Jake was welding the frame to the body, the first uni body street rod!!!

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That's a little weird gary. Maybe since the Anglias came with wooden floors he felt that was the easiest way to join the body to the tube frame? I'll weld in a channeled floor and unitize the body structure to make it rigid and strong but it will be bolted to the frame, as we did on my son's Anglia. Here is a pic of my boy from about 30 years ago, grinding welds on the underside of the nearly completed floor pan. I am proud that he saw the car through to completion, at least as far as a running, raceable car. One look at the pants he's wearing tells you this wasn't just posed for a photo op. He now lives in California but keeps the car with me while he pursues the challenges of adulthood - wife, family, career, etc. (He has a '69 Ranchero as a DD in CA, so still a gearhead.)

Dave's Anglia '89ish.jpg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    brEad, Big mike 1968, TFoch and 6 others like this.
  13. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My neighbor and good bud who races my RPU drag truck decided to get a completely new shifter for his '64 Comet w/ C4 trans as he just did not like the way the current shifter worked. So he gave it to me for the Attic Anglia project, which also will get a C4 trans behind the inline six. I'll tweak it to get it working right. It will give a competition vibe to the interior.

shifter 01.JPG shifter 02.JPG

brEad, TFoch, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Its been a while since I posted on this thread. I think I owe you readers an update of what is going on. If you readers have not been following my champ car build then you won't know summer has brought a mixed bag of circumstances that have used a lot of time that I had planned to devote to this project among others.

On the brighter side I invited my neighbor George to drive my old roadster pickup at the Rock-n-Race at Dragway 42 in Ohio. Karma must have smiled at George - I'd like to believe his generosity in helping me and giving me his shifter among other goodies led to his success that weekend.
    He entered four races...
    ...was in the finals in three of them...
    ...won two of them, including beating me in the semifinals.
    He seemingly could do no wrong and even though he drives my battered RPU infrequently he drove nearly perfect that week. The RPU is old and beat up but just as deadly consistent as ever.

George 42 01 (2).jpg

Now for the bad stuff. My '46 pickup trans came apart at freeway speed. It broke the tailshaft, bent the driveshaft, and killed reverse gear in the trans. The trans has to come out for a rebuild.

C6 tailshaft 02.JPG driveshaft 01.JPG

My basement shop flooded. Twice. Not real bad - about 400 gallons sucked up in my shop vac, but bad enough to say 'enough is enough' and scheduled a contractor to dig up the floor and fix things. This has slowed work on projects down there.

My RV race car tow vehicle has electrical gremlins. I'm still chasing that and have a new ignition switch to try before I give up and call in a pro.

I am still hopeful to get to pulling the engine out of SuperDave's '48 Anglia and installing a newly built 303 six in there this summer / fall. That will give me a complete running 243 six for the AA project.

No complaints. Just dealing with life's little issues and working around them. Things could be much worse.
    That reminds me of a comedian's line, " My friends told me to cheer up - things could be much worse. So I cheered up and sure enough, things got much worse."

Peace out...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  15. spanners

spanners

Nothing like a positive attitude to chase the shitty vibes away. Just think of Oddball in Kelly's Heroes.

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Oddball is one of my role models.

Big mike 1968 and loudbang like this.
  17. Thanks for the update, keep up the good work! Great racing from your neighbour btw

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:eek:Hi FTF. "Into every life a little rain must fall".
    However,it sounds like the monsoon season has arrived for you:eek::p.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

loudbang likes this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks guys.
    I'm nothing if not tenacious.

loudbang and Dick Stevens like this.
  20. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Great thread FTF. Since I'm a FNG on the HAMB, it's the first I've seen it.
    Damn son! that's a long time to be on a project!

21. Great thread! Looking forward to the progress!

loudbang likes this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

[​IMG]
    As I looked at this picture I think it does not totally represent my interpretation of what I want to end up with.

Attic Anglia will not get pro street tubs. Since I will be doing the tubs anyway I'll place them only wide enough to lay near the outside of the frame rails so I can use period correct tires - maybe F78-15s - in the rear, not some wide-assed Pro Street junk. Standard width rear fenders, not widened. Nor will it get big rims. I'm thinking 14" in front and 15" in back. Nor will it get slammed to the ground. I may even give it a little bit of nose high attitude, just a bit. I will remove the headlight stanchions off the top of the front fenders - they look dorky - and sink the headlights into the front fenders like we did on my son's '48.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
    brEad, LAROKE, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  23. Green is mean, nothing wrong with that. Looks good to me what you have drawn there.

loudbang likes this.
  24. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

That's an ouchie! Sounds like the summer was full of ouchies. Hopefully dry season is coming your way.

25. Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
    THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Hey FinnishFireball and loudbang, I'm liking that a lot. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  28. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Yup. Now if you can imagine that car with panel paint on the roof, steelies with half-paint on the rear, standard rocker panels, yellow tinted windows and sunken headlights you get an idea of what I want to drive around terrorizing the residents of Naples FL.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2021
  30. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I found an older video of my son's Anglia of one of the first times we took it out. The reason this is relevant is the 240 ci engine in his Anglia is coming out and a 303 ci six is going in. The 240 will go in the Attic Anglia.
    This summer. Lord willing.
    (Avert your gaze if you see any O/T cars.)

TFoch, enloe, loudbang and 1 other person like this.