Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally-a long roof

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1930artdeco, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Budget36

Budget36

Left should be the driver side. Right should be passenger side.

loudbang likes this.
  2. Sorry, I should have been more clear, The long tie rods are numbered for which side they got to, I just don't know which side get which number. I am not near the car at the moment so will have to post the numbers tomorrow when I go to work on her.

Mike

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Well….I was going to give Tim McMaster my cam as a core when I pick up the heads next month. Now I am going to give home the whole engine instead. Went to pull the cam out and it jammed up on me. Looked at the lifters, nope all down, looked around a bit more and found that the center cam bearing came out cock eyed. And in more than one piece I think. Sooooo, the engine is going in. I wasn’t planning on doing a total rebuild of the power train yet. But I guess I am.

mike

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. One wheel down one to go tomorrow and then the front brakes and suspension will be done-minus the sway bar. I put self adjusters on both fronts and eventually the rears as well. Question, I bought a new tank from Auto city classics and it is a bit smaller dimensionallly than my original. Is there supposed to be this much slack in the straps or should they be tight all the way around. At this point I am planning on adding some rubber to take up the slack.

Mike

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  5. In preparation to take the block and crank to the builder I tore down the rest of the engine today. Not all that bad actually. The cylinders and pistons were in really pretty good shape, same with the crank. The cam bearings on the other hand were all shot beyond belief.
    Mike

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  6. Finally rolled her out today and hosed out her engine bay. She leans a bit to the left. Still need to add a few things though.

mike

Attached Files:

7. loudbang

loudbang

1.jpeg 1a.jpeg

8. Thanks LoudBang.

loudbang and dana barlow like this.
  9. I have never seen cam bearings roached out - that bad, or at all. What could have done that to those bearings, yet not done worse damage to the crank and all its bearings?

10. Oh the other bearings were toast as well. Some of the mains were down to steel shells and it is getting turned hopefully this month or next. I will build it up over the next couple of months and then stuff it. After that all I will have is the rad and drive shaft.

Mike

11. Just picked her up this afternoon! Now I have to figure out a way of getting it out of the car and onto the stand. Tim did an awesome job on it! Kudos to him and huge recommendation.

mike

Attached Files:

12. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

57s are awesome.... I had a 64. Miss that one

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  13. Ok, so I got the tank hung yesterday. I got her down tight but the new tank is a bit smaller than the original so there is some slop in the middle ….. and I added rubber to fill in the gap.

Tomorrow the heads get bolted down (they are just sitting there right now) and I start running the long lines for gas and brake.

Attached Files:

14. Got my rebuilt heater core back today. Will have to do some creative pluming of the cable to the valve. Also started to prime the engine and other parts as well. Hoping for paint next week.

Attached Files:

15. Took advantage of the sun today.

Attached Files:

osage orange and loudbang like this.
  16. Bit slow lately but still making progress. I am waiting for a fitting to finish the tank line install and then back to the long brake line-hoping to not cut it short this time :002:. Got the radiator fixed and installed, the PS pump is on its way back, the Gen/starter are in the shop and the intake is now bolted down. The carb is cleaned up but the throttle plates were frozen so it is taking several days of PB blaster to free them up. Will get my rebuilt distributor back this weekend, in the meantime I ordered a NAPA one-and you guessed it short dist shaft so it will go back.

Finally got the heater box out so will clean them up and paint them and reinstall with a new heater core. Then I will ask a boat load of questions about installing the engine and tranny just to make sure I don't forget anything. That is all for now. I will post pics in the next few weeks of the progress.

Mike

osage orange, loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

What are you referring to in the above?

Thanks

18. Apparently when they rebuild 57 distributors they use SBF shafts which are about 1/4" to short. So they won't engage the pump and end up destroying themselves.

loudbang and Budget36 like this.
  19. Well been footing along slowly and here is what I have done so far.

1) Installed all of the brake lines so just need to fill and bleed now:)
    2) Got the PS pump back and it is a few pounds lighter now that the dirt has been blasted off. Stanger rebuilding did a great job!
    3) Carb is rebuilt
    4) Heater box is ready to go, I just need to epoxy in a bolt and in it goes.
    5) I was trying to remove the exh. manifold to pipe studs and broke one:mad::mad: but once I get them replaced and the oil filter adapter screwed back on the engine can go in:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):).

Then on to ordering parts and getting ready for a move.

Mike

20. I FINALLY got the engine and tranny in!!!!!!!took us four hours and a lot of new vocabulary words.

mike

Attached Files:

21. Finally an update. Got the 1/4 window in on the drivers side. How do I fix corner puckers? It is on the upper forward corner. Have to do the pass side next. Then onto the windshield and rear glass.

Attached Files:

ffr1222k likes this.
  22. Sorry had to flip them again...

Attached Files:

ffr1222k likes this.
  23. Update, got both 1/4 windows in and sealed up! I also popped the rear window out and cleaned up. I have a new seal ready for it and the liftgate is actually in great shape with just a few spots of surface rust. Already hit it with evaporust to convert it. Will prime and paint it and then have the glass guys come out.

Now for the next big issue-raising the body to replace the rubber body hockey pucks. Here is what I am thinking:
    1: Get a 2x4/4x4 and sit it along the rocker panels.
    2: Use a floor jack to lift one side up put two stands under it and move to the other side and repeat.

Is this a good way of doing it? Or is there something that I am missing safety/break the car wise? I am going to cross post this in the 55-59 group as well.

Mike

24. Good looking car, are you going to stay with the original colors? HRP

25. Eventually yes, same colors.

26. Budget36

Budget36

I recall your thread about moving to Wa. I think you drove a Model A up there? Were you able to drive this car up as well? Just asking because I might have missed or forgot some posts.

27. Budget, you are correct. I drove the A up but the wagon had to be trailered up. I am hoping next year to fire her up.

Budget36 likes this.
  28. Got all of the body bolts loosened, cut out, ground out now. In the mean time I replaced the rear window gasket, replaced the tail light lenses and installed my new huge ass sway bar. Next project raise the body and replace the body mount rubber pucks. Then off to rewiring.

29. Sorry, forgot the obligatory pictures.

Attached Files:

30. Hi all, I need serious help here. I ordered a body
    mount kit for my 57 wagon. The instructions are not the best to say the least. So I think I have interpreted the A and B bolts correctly. Can someone verify that I have done this correctly. Also what is the rubber puck with the little top on it? They don’t ID them well and were to put them.

thanks,

mike

Attached Files: