Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Split bones or 4 bar?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Langan, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

To start with I am not a fan of 4 bars. I am hot roding a 29AA. I am trying to stay as stock looking as posible. SBC,700r4, Dana full floating rear on stock spring. 32 heavy axle up front with Ford F250/350 spindles.
    Question is does anyone think split bones are strong enough? Or should I just make a larger set of 4 bars?

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First I have to wonder about and why you you would waste a 32 Heavy axle with F 250 spindles and then how you figure you are going to be able to run them.

Reason I am assuming is that you want a big truck look with the truck but why not run a proper big truck Ford axle?
    I'd say split bones though, as good as they might drive I just don't like the looks of a 4 bar on an open wheel car or truck. Fenders that hide them so they aren't the first thing you see might make it a different story though.

X38, Budget36 and dana barlow like this.
  3. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

32 axle came with truck, I dropped it 3" and by off setting fenders and running boards 1/2" tires center up pretty good. I like the look of Bones too. Just worried about strength, they were ment for 1 1/2 ton truck at 35 mph.

Attached Files:

4. Budget36

Budget36

Why the need/want for the F250/350 stuff?

X38 likes this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Your bones will be more than adequate. Use 3/4 ton Ford tie rod ends on the backend of the bones. I think the F250 parts are overkill.

6. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

I had a 1977 f350 dually chassis. I stripped and had no intention of building my AA . But I finished my 34 pickup and was thinking of selling the AA . Then wife said she liked it but hated it only went 38mph. So narrowed the rear end went to single wheels to fit bed noticed the spindles almost fit axle and I could get single wheel roters to fit tires under fenders have a lot of extra past built parts. This build is kicking my ass first and last AA build for me.

7. Langan

Langan
    from Eagle ID.

Truck before I started. Trying to make it look the same. Hind site wish I had just sold it, but to far into it to turn back now.
    So I will go with split bones any idea how far below frame for rod end? I think I will need to add castor

Attached Files:

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

the split bones will not flex, they can break perch pins...
    the 4 bars flex but don't look as good...
    i like hairs pins, they look old and they flex... only my $0.02.

Langan likes this.