Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Window Sedan Deliveries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mohr hp, Nov 4, 2021.

1. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

upload_2021-11-4_6-32-46.png upload_2021-11-4_6-33-49.png
    I recently learned that Dodge Brothers and Plymouth made a few sedan deliveries with roll up side windows in the mid 30’s. After a google search I’ve also learned that they are extremely rare. I'm aware that Chevrolet had their Suburban and did a few window deliveries in the Tri Five era. Does anyone have any info or pics of these, and did any other manufacturers build them?

Attached Files:

lemondana, Tman, mgtstumpy and 8 others like this.
  2. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

upload_2021-11-4_7-7-5.png
    Not sure what this is?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  3. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

4. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

5. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Currently working on a 60 Ford Courier.

Attached Files:

MO_JUNK, mgtstumpy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. A quite rare 1958 Chevrolet sedan delivery that I saw several years ago in California was owned by Gary Mills. It was an American Tobacco Company sales-mans vehicle, based on a two door station wagon body. Rear side windows, 6 cylinder, with factory air conditioning. It was a frame off restoration, I was impressed by the rareness of the vehicle, and the quality of the restoration.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    Jack Wagon and Deuces like this.
  7. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Carryall Suburbans are not that uncommon.
    [​IMG]

Jalopy Joker, MO_JUNK, 302GMC and 5 others like this.
  8. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Like I said in the post, I knew about Chevrolet Suburbans. It's the other makes I was unaware of. Evidently Dodge Brothers called their's Suburban too!

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  9. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

There used to be a guy around here who had a yellow 57 Chevy sedan delivery, with windows. I think he said it was originally Forest Service.

Devin

Jack Wagon, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  10. chucka

chucka

Devin, that's correct. Chev did build a small number of 2 door wagons with sedan delivery rear door for the U S Forestry Service in '57. Also, in 1932 there was a small number of Ford 2 doors with sedan delivery doors built - - - known as "flower cars" I think. Someone was making a kit to convert a tudor to one of these not long ago, read about it in R&C. Useless knowledge of details - - - sheesh!

11. Deuces

Deuces

Looks like a Starliner wagon....:) 20170811_060138_2.jpg

12. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

B6C6F6EB-1475-4C87-B93F-21A00FDC256C.jpeg

One of those government purchased windowed sedan deliveries.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  13. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ll be putting money on the “ flower “ vehicle for mortuaries.

14. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

15. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

At the Alamosa Co. show in 19 I saw a 35 Ford windowed sedan delivery. the owner said he believed it had been a Forest Service unit originally. Sorry, no pictures.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  16. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im not sure what makes the ford not a 2dr wgn. ? just missing a rear seat ? was it longer than a wgn.. either way that 60? is nice !

Deuces likes this.
  17. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

Well, I just have to post mine. We made the rear door. Gary 5938b72e041b5.image.jpg speedway3.jpg

Jalopy Joker, MO_JUNK, Tman and 8 others like this.
  18. These are commonly called flower deliver cars, indecently the sedan delivery's have a panel that will unbolt. HRP

[​IMG]

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I think most people are missing the point, he's asking about more information on 1930s Dodges and Plymouths.

20. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Thanks, Stuart. Yes I was originally curious about the 30's Mopars, but am really interested in all the window deliveries from the mid 30's, be it Dodge Brothers, Ford, Huppmobile or Studebaker! I just have an itch for a depression era vehicle that can carry stuff enclosed and that I can see out of to make a lane change. Guess those needs didn't happen too much then?

Hamtown Al likes this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

The 32 Ford Sedan Delivery was a very sought after sedan delivery. It was rare and the style went along with owning a 2 door sedan. Also, they were highly desirable from the beginning of time.
    upload_2021-12-12_4-29-53.png
    As we were involved with two, Ford Sedan Deliveries from the teenage years until the late 20 something days, we could see the difficulties in finding a 32 Sedan Delivery in good condition. There just were not too many on the scene. If they were, they were high dollar vehicles and out of reach for most hot rodders. We fell into that category…
    upload_2021-12-12_4-30-12.jpeg

We saw several conversions and they looked good. Since most early sedan deliveries are actual sedans with rear side windows, the added door took some doing, but was a way to get the look, without the original rare find anywhere.

Jnaki

The problem we saw with those early sedan deliveries was that they had limited room where the rear seat area was in the sedans. Small deliveries were the mode of the day, so it did satisfy the commercial end.

When the sedan deliveries were actual larger commercial panel vans, but smaller, they had more space than most actual sedans. But, not as large as the actual panel vans. This class of sedan deliveries were miniature panel vans. (and they fit inside of normal garage openings) They provided security for the goods inside and the opening rear door gave good access to putting wares inside with the low floor surface.

After owning two 40 Ford Sedan Deliveries, a Flathead teenage surf sedan delivery and a 327 powered hot rod version, we found many times a little hindered with the solid rear section behind us. Sure, they provided plenty of privacy when camping or overnights at various locations, but the lack of all around vision was hindered with the solid rear passenger side blind spot.

The tiny rear door window did nothing to help keep the overall vision all around the car. The interior rear view mirror was virtually useless and the only time it came in view was when a large diesel truck was behind us filling up the window and mirror image.

The final straw, as we got older was the hindered view was not able to be overcome with larger outside mirrors, due to style and original aspects of the 40 Ford look. So, since it was a two person hot rod and our family grew, we sold it for a station wagon. The full window station wagon had a great all-around view via a “greenhouse” look to safely drive around the crowded streets. YRMV

upload_2021-12-12_4-32-48.png
    So, we had @themoose do some alterations to see what was the reverse look of a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery with windows. Thanks, Moose…

We even drew our version of a 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery like we used to own. It was a discussion between my wife and me to see if we still wanted a sedan delivery with all of the amenities we had. But, now with windows all around, making it an official sedan delivery, station wagon.
    upload_2021-12-12_4-35-2.png early Friday Art Thread

Then last year during the pandemic slow down, I wanted to see what a 1940 Ford Panel Delivery would look like with windows and a larger rear door window.

upload_2021-12-12_4-36-14.png
    Nov 2020 steel woody with windows

Then the idea of reverse window versions converted back to solid panels was the key to security of the station wagons and better privacy for our campouts. From our privacy issue, a solid panel gives so much more, despite the window curtains in the station wagons.

A 1946 Ford Woody turned into a reverse look with solid steel panels for security and privacy:
    upload_2021-12-12_4-38-24.png

And finally, a reverse window replacement with steel panels for a fenderless sedan delivery for our surfing road trips.

upload_2021-12-12_4-39-34.png to this: upload_2021-12-12_4-40-3.png
    Due to the lack of room inside, the longboards definitely would not fit, but unless the modern short boards are short enough, they would also have to be placed on top. But, at least with the window-less version, privacy during sleeping times would not be much of an issue.

So, full sedan deliveries with solid panels or window installed version with clear vision all around? As usual YRMV

i.rant, MO_JUNK and themoose like this.
  22. RodStRace

RodStRace

Neat find! In the past, I've run across a few regular Mopar sedan deliveries, and they are pretty darn rare to begin with, usually in double or triple digit production per year.
    Then you get into the standard sedan style VS the 'humpback' which was truck-based.
    Never had the bucks to buy one, let alone build. As is often the case most were missing important, specific parts that were harder to find than the bodies alone.
    I'll have another rabbit hole to follow with this. A quick search did find this obvious link, but will chase down more later.
    https://www.allpar.com/d3/history/plymouth/delivery-and-commercial-sedans.html

loudbang likes this.
  23. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Here's a '41 Plymouth, workmanship on the rear glass looked factory. It had double doors like a panel .... HPIM3134.JPG HPIM3135.JPG

24. RodStRace

RodStRace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces, loudbang and Tman like this.
  25. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    It was 1967. The Plymouth was sitting alongside a gas station in Benicia, Ca. with the head & pan in the back. One piston & rod was missing, but 2 new Sears pistons in a box came with it for $45. We ( Nick, Surf, & I ) stuffed it back together. It ran great, but after a mile or 2, it blew all the water out the overflow. I had 2 other cars that worked fine, so I left it sitting on the street in Vallejo ... 10 years later, I learned about water distribution tubes in flatmotor 6s & 8s

Deuces, loudbang, RodStRace and 3 others like this.
  26. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

It surprises me they didn't build more deliveries with windows. If you look at vans from the 60's and 70's. a LOT of them have all solid panels but glass in the right side cargo doors. The factories knew by then how hard they were to see to the right. I've dug around on this subject elsewhere, and it appears the TVA had some built, and Chrysler and Chevrolet were the main players in the 30's. It just ticks off all my boxes for a daily driver, I can see going to a swap meet or parts run in it, while being able to make safe lane changes-Left aaaand Right. Thanks fellas.

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

28. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson

29. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

30. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon
    from Ferguson