Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Donovan Model D Cam Thrust Plunger?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fred A, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

The aluminum timing gear cover either needs a bushing to fit a stock plunger or Donovan uses different parts. What do I need to make it work? Thanks: Fred A

2. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Talk to Woody over at Donovan

3. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Still waiting for the call back from Donovan. Maybe tomorrow. Fred A

4. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Shure would not want to be waiting for an answer from Donovan after spending large money. Would make a good "Clueless II" film story line. Caveat: Fred A

Deuces and Budget36 like this.

5. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

What engine do you have? Aluminum cover makes me think it's a flathead Ford. Correct me if I'm wrong. The early flatheads (pre '49) used a plunger and spring because the camshaft end thrust was toward the front. The later ones ('49 -'53) didn't use a plunger because the thrust was toward the rear (gear teeth angle reversed). The thrust on these was taken up by a collar on the cam riding on the front of the block.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Just found out that WOODY is out fishing in Mexico right now

7. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

The engine is a Model B Ford with an Iron Cragar. The Donovan Model D is an aluminum banger clone from decades ago. I thought the alloy front cover would be cute. Fred A

8. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I think Donovan blew me off. Months later never got the call. Do I sense a declining business? Moving On: Fred A

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Over 60 engine blocks in the works, Did you think about calling them again? So what is this part or lack of part that has you baffled

10. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

As I mentioned before, the Donovan model D front cover is aluminum. The cam thrust button is different than the Ford Model A/B. There may be a Donovan part for this function. Work on my '40 is drawing all my intention and don't plan to get back on the case for some time. Meanwhile an old friend may be interested in taking over for his use. Fred A

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

OK , a much better explanation than "bushing & plunger". My assumption would be that if there was a need for it with their product, that it would have been provided with the small parts bag.. I will get ahold of Woody today to see if he has any more info on this subject

12. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Of course I would like to know how to use the Model D front cover on a Model B. You may be able to penetrate the fog of indifference that I saw when I called. You know useful names. Apparently, Donovan does business on another level. Esthetically the aluminum front cover could look odd on a traditional build. Thanks: Fred A

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20200104_175723885.jpg
    Hell, I don't know anything so I make it up as I go.
    It got drilled and tapped for brass all thread. Slotted the all thread and added a lock nut

burl likes this.