Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Engine for 49 Ford Coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nadodave, Nov 4, 2021.

1. nadodave

nadodave

I hope I am on the correct forum. Got my butt shot off last time I posted - fortunately, there is plenty left :). I have a 49 Ford Coupe project car. It came with some sort of Mopar V8 installed and what I think is a 4 speed trans. The engine does not turn, most likely because the carb was removed and the engine was not covered. My question: I had assumed I would find a SBC to install (the flathead was already gone!), but I was wondering about whether I should rebuild the Mopar instead. I sort of hate just trashing it, but don't want to chase a unicorn either. A Mopar in an old Ford is definitely not something you see every day, and I am not looking for a fire breather, just good performance and freeway cruising. Thoughts?

2. Budget36

Budget36

Pics of what you’re working with might help, as in what kind of Mopar engine is there?
    I might be thinking an LA engine, another guy a Hemi, etc

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

If the engine is locked up I wouldn’t waste my time unless it was something really special.

210superair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. nadodave

nadodave

Right! It is not a hemi, but I don't know if it is a 318 or 360.
    Probably good advice!

5. Budget36

Budget36

Find out why it’s stuck, see what you have to work with.
    If the car ran at one time and the engine and transmission mounts were done well, easiest thing would be find another LA engine. All the guess work of radiator hoses, mounts, driveshaft etc have already been done.
    Do some searching, I think, but can’t state as fact, a new FI 360 Dodge engine mounts the same and might be less pain to start with. I’m not advocating the FI route, but a pick and pull new engine to use as a short block might be an easier option.

6. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

You sure about that?

61 Fairlane and sunbeam like this.
  7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would think that the presence of the 4 speed (if it actually is) would be a large factor in the decision. In the final analysis though, you really can't make the "right" decision without a full evaluation of the situation. Is it a quality installation that has just been neglected, or a "hack" job? Was the installation completed (clutch, shift, and throttle linages present and working)? What about the wiring, is it properly done and complete? We need more information.

8. 61 Fairlane

61 Fairlane

Distributor is in the front on a 440

9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Well Dave, it does not cost anything to pull it apart and take a "look and see" what you have.

ottoman and 210superair like this.
  10. If you're okay with Mopar power in your Ford, I see no reason to re-invent the wheel, assess the present engine/transmission to know what you're working with (identify/determine condition), and freshen it/them up.

ottoman and 210superair like this.