Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Little tips and tricks for garage hobbyists.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Jul 30, 2019.

1. phat rat

phat rat

I have the manufacturer supplied extension. It just didn't work good for lifting cabs and bodies off my trailer. The arm I made can easily lift a COE cab off

2. Gasser_Dave

Gasser_Dave
    from St. Louis

the surgery to correct it is well worth it. only out of action 2-3 days after, easy peasy

6sally6, Boneyard51, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

782B19DD-4499-4D9F-BA04-62DB81D522CD.jpeg Might be listed already but I use this old gas filler neck hose to search out errant disturbing noises.
    3-1/2 ft long will get you into a running engine from a safe distance.
    Even hitting a moving fan blade or belt will throw it to a safe area and alittle rubber never did much damage to any head. At least in this application. :)

Boneyard51, rod1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looking for a handy way to store tie downs, both garage and in truck, instead of the tangled ball they are always in when I need 'em, 'cause I'm too lazy to fold them up and band them. Tried baggies, no good. Thinking of something like this shoe organizer. Any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

rockable likes this.
  5. phat rat

phat rat

Only thing I can come up with is Quit Being Lazy LOL

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Not enough time to do all that needs to be done, lazy is the only answer.:rolleyes:

7. loudbang

loudbang

If you need to paint something and have holes with threads or other reason you don't want paint inside just grab some of these foam ear plugs and stuff them in the holes. Easy to pull out with tweezers.

Shooters may have a bunch as they are given away at gun shows or shops but they are very cheap.

1.jpg

8. loudbang

loudbang

Been watch a funny dude restoring old tools and he needed to paint some raised lettering and he used one of these.

They have a felt tip like a magic marker and it worked very well and it's paint not a marker.

And you can buy the kit to fill with your choice of paint if the colors they come in aren't what you want.

Great for valve cover lettering and or fins.

Yes the same company that makes model car paint.

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing to do with testors. :)

1a.jpg

https://www.testors.com/en/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/enamel-paint/markers

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Sorry, but there is a conflict or the old days are just a whimsy of a thought. When our son was a baby and all the rage was using baby oil to get protection for getting diaper rash or help prevent or getting diaper rash, baby oil (Johnson & Johnson) was the “go to” product. We had warm moist towels to clean up messes. Then the application of oil helped in the long run to the next change in the day or night.

The baby oil product left an oily surface residue and good thing there was a thick diaper to absorb the sticky oil. If too much was used, then the clothing was stained and needed a quick wash or cleaning. The oil was good for this baby care and not for the hand cleaning.
    upload_2021-11-2_4-25-43.png 1956-57
    In the early days of teenage beach applications, this clear baby oil was the rage for everyone to coat their bodies when staying on the sand or lounging around in the water. But, we tried to not fall down in the sand as it now stuck to the sticky oil surface of the baby oil. Sand and baby oil together is not the greatest feeling at the beach or anywhere.

There were no SPF factors or other products on the market. The baby oil was sticky and not the best, but, was the only product around. Sticky feeling on any surface is not good for clothes or wooden surfaces. We even had to sit on old t-shirts pulled over the whole seats and use our towels for the seat bottoms to prevent staining our clothes and Naugahyde upholstery.

Jnaki

So, sorry to point out a true fact, but baby oil is not for cleaning. These days, cleaning hands and other surfaces is mandatory for pandemic purposes. The cleaners are alcohol based, but have some minute quantities of products for not drying out skin surfaces. The top brand names, like Purell, have cleaning abilities, safe sanitizing effects and have stuff in them to dry out.

But, it leaves a feel as the hands are soft and clean. Otherwise, we would all be walking around leaving finger and hand prints on every surface anywhere. Including stainless steel products, paint, and chrome on our cars and homes.

upload_2021-11-2_4-23-40.png

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For several years I've had a problem where to store my wheel dollies when they aren't being used (which is most of the time) so I whipped this up. Nothing fancy, just some scrap lumber and a little time.
    Harbor Freight Dollies a.JPEG Harbor Freight Dollies b.JPEG

Chavezk21, klawockvet, Gizzy and 47 others like this.
  11. clem

clem

^^^^^^ brilliant !
    - although it took me a moment to figure out why you only had a frame for 3 dollies……….when I worked out where the fourth one was - even better………:)

Gizzy, Happydaze, -Brent- and 15 others like this.
  12. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

^^^^^^Yes, I had to think about that for a minute too. Make everything do double duty.

13. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Put me in that group, too! Lol :D

Bones

14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I thought he had a trike.

Cooon, vtx1800, clem and 3 others like this.
  15. I won’t say great minds think alike , but I was on the same page, why only 3 ?

loudbang and Six Ball like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I presume your new arm goes all the way to the end of the receiving tube?

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I believe the poster alludes to the fact (aren’t all Facts proven?) that the oil helps break down the grimy stuff we get on our hands. Then wash with soap to get rid of the baby oil. I’ve learned on the HAMB about using shampoo for the same purpose.

As far as Covid protocols go we don’t clean our hands but sanitize them. Semantics maybe...

-Brent- likes this.
  18. phat rat

phat rat

Your presumption is correct

19. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

When cutting very small pieces on the bandsaw often it’s difficult to hold the part. I made a removable sheet metal plate with a single cut, bent the edges to keep it secure. Save your fingers!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    pivir123, LAROKE, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Nice. I've been using plywood but since it's anchored like yours.

loudbang likes this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

@jnaki just wrote a chapter countering baby oil...:D C'mon Jnaki! You have to wipe your hands off... it's not like @Elcohaulic is walking around with oil-slicked and shiny hands avoiding beach sand and chrome. Or are you Elco?:D

There's one tip I have used many times and shared quite a bit. When cleaning up or collecting metal shavings, put a magnet in a Ziploc bag. When finished remove the magnet by turning the bag in on itself. The magnet is clean and the metal dust/chips/shavings is/are easy to dispose of.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Brilliant! Speaking of bags, just last night I rattle canned a small part, holding it in one hand as usual. I slip a bread loaf bag over my hand and arm. The one holding the part that is. :)

23. atch

atch

24. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

And speaking of magnets, I use one to pick up the tray of nuts, washers, nails or whatever I inevitably spill on the floor. Also a good way to pick out a stainless or brass piece, just dump it all out, pick up what comes up, the rest is non-magnetic.

chevyfordman and loudbang like this.
  25. atch

atch

Here are some very handy magnets. These pix are from the HF website but several companies make/sell them. I snagged these pix 'cause it was easier than going to my shop and taking pix. Mine may not be HF but I have and use all of these. I use the yellow picker upper a lot. I have 8-10 of the magnetic trays. At any given time at least half of them are in use. I keep the extendable pick up wands and the magnetic trays on the side of one of the roll around tool boxes in addition to various other magnets. The big yellow picker upper is always on my welding table. The red welding angles (I have 8-10 of these also) are on the legs of my welding table. The "broom" magnet hangs in the same place when not in use. I always know where these are and I'm getting more organized all the time.

--95933_W3.jpg

--01939_W3.jpg --62704_zzz_alt_500.jpg --90566_I.jpg --image_15148.jpg

26. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

My son in law has one of those long magnet sticks and it has a light in the end. Unfortunately I don't know where he got it.

Boneyard51 and loudbang like this.
  27. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Very nice and simple...you don’t have to weld wood!

loudbang likes this.
  28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The magnets on a stick are great for finding small ferrous pieces I drop in the gravel while working in the driveway because the shop is full of junk.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Try Amazon.com
    I have found some unbelievable things on there...

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  30. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

^^Tell your daughter you would SURE like to get one of those for Christmas!;):D:D

loudbang, Boneyard51 and pprather like this.