Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wide 5 Drum Question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Piewagn, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Picked up another set of REAR drums for my coupe....I’m guessing I’ll need this inner ring? Are they available anywhere? Do the later model drums have the same rings that I can steal from the set I’m replacing? Any help would be greatly appreciated fellas....thank you!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  2. Piewagn

Piewagn

Anyone? Any info on this inner bearing ring? The bearing actually sits in further too. I've got brand new bearings I've installed and I really don't want that one bearing to get eaten up....along with both races!
    Thank you!!

3. Budget36

Budget36

Are you speaking of the outer bearing race?

Piewagn likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Ahh…now I see what you are asking about….looks like a spacer behind the race in the drum on the left.

Piewagn likes this.

5. Piewagn

Piewagn

Correct.... any info? I don't recall those on my other later model drums.....It came apart with the ring missing and aside from some rust, the bearing was intact. I don't know if it's an issue or not since the bearing actually sits in the race further....

6. Piewagn

Piewagn

7. Budget36

Budget36

I don’t recall them on my 42 hubs/drums. I’ve a set of 46/48 I can look at tomorrow. I took the bearings out (not the race though) but don’t recall either having it.

Piewagn likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe bad spindle threads, and spaced out some?

Piewagn likes this.
  9. Piewagn

Piewagn

One of the drums was marked 39.....this I can believe because they have the 3 ribs and minus that outer lip reminiscent of the earlier mechanical brake wide 5's.... I just don't recall seeing anything like this on any of the drums I've used.....

10. Piewagn

Piewagn

This would be greatly appreciated....it would save me the trouble of having to dismantle mine....thank you!!!

11. phoneman

phoneman
    from Missouri

If all else fails try the ford barn. Lots of knowledgeable folks there as well.

Piewagn likes this.
  12. dwollam

dwollam

Spindle? They are rear drums.

Dave

Piewagn likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I didn’t look close enough to notice the key way or I wasn’t paying attention to it, I sit corrected;)

Piewagn likes this.
  14. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yes....these are rear drums.... I should have clarified that in my original post... I have since corrected said post....

15. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Does the one without the ring hit the backing plate ? Is ther a gap between the drum and where the axle threads starts on the one without ?

Piewagn likes this.
  16. Piewagn

Piewagn

I haven’t installed them yet.... I just picked them up. The bearing does sit further in than the one with the
    spacer (?). I’m not sure of the dynamics of the bearing during operation....does the cage stay stationary or rotate periodically is what I’m wondering....don’t know if it will do any harm to the bearing then subsequently both races.
    Thanks for the replies everyone! Just want to figure this out before I cause any harm....

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hmm, I never noticed that on the drums I am hoarding, ummmm, I mean collecting. I will check mine when I get home and report back here

Piewagn likes this.
  18. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Wheeldog! Greatly appreciated!

19. trikejunkie

trikejunkie
    from Scotland

I`m not an expert(in anything) but to me it looks like a shim that would space the drum out -perhaps to stop it rubbing on a brake plate.

Piewagn likes this.
  20. alchemy

alchemy

The axle should help hold the drum in position more than the side of the bearing cage scraping on a shim. I would think the shim is just to keep the bearing centered.

21. Piewagn

Piewagn

Yep....the taper will allow the drum to go on only so far... I’ve never seen this before that’s why the confusion. I may knock one of the outer rings off the old rusted bearings and use it as a similar shim to keep the bearing centered as you said, since the bearing rides further in on the drum without the shim...I’ll have a look at the drums I remove and go from there. Thanks for the input.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Piewagn

Piewagn

I was thinking the same thing, but I thought about it more, you want the drum locked in good and tight on the tapered axle....this scenario would prevent that....
    Thanks for your input!

loudbang likes this.
  23. oj

oj

Difficult to tell, mine have the bearings etc, but there is a plate back in there that necks down to about the size of the axle snout. It is not open like in the lower hub. The bearings go back to the plate and a 'C' clip installs in the front, the machining should be perfect so the bearing is a very snug fit between that plate and the 'C' clip in front. I can't see how the plate is configured because the bearings and grease are in there and I don't remember doing anything special in there when I put the bearings in. Van Pelt would know.

Piewagn and loudbang like this.
  24. Piewagn

Piewagn

I dismantled an old bearing to cannibalize one of the rings and dropped in place, then dropped the bearing in and measured.... The bearing with the ring in place sits identical to the other drum, right up to the seal relief. So, I think I'm gonna leave the ring in place from the bearing I took apart and let it fly and see what happens.... Thanks for your input oj!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
    oj and loudbang like this.