Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Matching original black paint close

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by harleycontracter, Nov 2, 2021.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

I'm at the point where I'm getting ready to figure what I need to do. I have a hood , cowl and original front fenders in original black patina paint. Have to paint the body and rear fenders. Any thoughts on h how to get close to the look of the original faded paint ? I have a couple of suggestions of what to use but open to more advise. The original parts I have have the dull greyish /black look. Thanks

2. indyjps

indyjps

Buff the original parts to see how shiny they get.
    Or paint the new stuff with a dusting of flattening powder in the mix.
    Or paint it shiny and hit it with a scotchbrite.
    Or buy black single stage from "paint for cars" I used some of their black when it had the old brand name- year later it was nice and dull.
    I don't know of a way to get paint checking and cracking in there.

Paint it with the same kind of paint that's on there. If it's truly original paint it's probably lacquer. If it's been reshot somewhere in its life. May be enamel.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  3. This would be my choice. Or the cheapest gloss black oil-based paint you can find (hardware store variety). One year in the weather and it'll have patina...

indyjps likes this.
  4. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have a look at some of Matt's paint matching videos on Iron Trap Garage. He has a guy come out and scan the current paint and then gets what he needs if I recall correctly.

5. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Several years back we painted a few panels on an original Model A as the owner wanted to keep the aged dull look to match the rest of the car. Lightly used a fine scotchbrite on them after painting. Turned out to be a pretty close match.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Any more tricks?

7. You need old style paint to get an old look.
    I’d clean and buff the existing.
    You can still purchase lacquer. Lacquer normally has to be buffed to achieve its gloss. It’s easier to buff to match than dull to match in my opinion.
    The patina? That may need some extra attention. Chips, scratches spots of rust?
    If the original has primer exposed, use the correct color underneath the paint. I’ve done that with paint. Had red oxide matched in paint, then used it as my first coat.
    There are several good videos for recreating old. Some use a water squirt bottle to apply a mist, then apply light coats of color over the water. This gives it definition. Q-tips used to create textured rusty areas.
    Cutting enamel with a hot lacquer thinner will help keeps the gloss down. Any old type paint, lacquer, enamel or oil will age quicker than base clear or urethane.
    You can have the color analyzed at an automotive paint store even black.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    Roger Loupias and A Boner like this.
  8. Grant Clemens

Grant Clemens
    from Montana

You didn't mention what type of car you are working on. If it is a Model A they originally as far as I know all came with black enameled fenders and the bodies were lacquered and Polished. As far as patina goes, you could paint it glossy and just wait until you are as old as I am.

9. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

It's a 30 Model A roadster. I'm probably as old as you are now :)

10. oldolds

oldolds

Only the hood and front fenders will have original paint? I would put new paint on them as well. Then you can age everything the same. Much less work to leave them shine though.