Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering the front of my 46 Ford ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by roger lawless, Nov 1, 2008.

1. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

The replacement front X-member from Speedway lowers front 3 inches.
    I think it is BOLT IN.

2. roger lawless

roger lawless

My head's a spinnin as there is so much info. Thank's guy's.

I'll check on the wishbone's to see how close they are to the frame and explore the longet shackle theory as well as removing the short spring's from the top and putting them on the bottom as spacer's.

The reason for all the delay is that the Banjo blew unexpectedly, at 5mph, and I had to dismember the car for about a month or so. It's almost back together as I am now looking for a rear Panhard/Track bar. I got one from Henry, Gene's rod's, but it was not the right one so I have inquired here again.

I have also replaced the 'custom' rear crossmember with the original one and havn't let the car down to see how it stand's yet. Probably tomorrow sometime.

Thanks, Roger:D

I'll get it right yet

3. Lono

Lono

I guess i'll thow my question in here rather than making a new thread. I've been reading everything and sucking in all I can.

I want to keep my 600's front and rear on my 46 but do want to get it lowr for now. Its a bone stock car and i want to be able to easily convert it back to stock ride height later on.

So if a guy made up shackles with say 5" c to c hole spacing, can those be used without any further modifications to the front end and rear end? And would that drop it by 2 to 2.5 inches?

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

gr8rods: Is that washer ok?

5. Pep Boys used to sell longer shackles back in the day.
    6" was the longest and the car was close to bottomed out.

4-5" ought to do what you want.

6. Lono

Lono

The metal is cut, holes drilled 5 inches c to c. Will get them installed this week.
    Will let you know if it can be done without any further modifications to bones or udder things. Once installed I'll take it out and see how sloppy it really is.

7. On the post (#9) above that shows the white 46, I forgot to mention the rear axle is a ChryCo and has parallel rear leafs.

8. Lono

Lono

I mounted my new front shackles today. Centre to centre the holes are 5 inches.
    The 1" is 6.125" This gives me exactly 2.5 inches of drop which may not seem like a lot but when compared to stock is a nice improvement. Tomorrow I'll install the rears now that I know it didnt effect the steering.

There's no clearance issues, no modifications to wishones or anything else and it did not effect the steering in anyway. I can stick with my stock 6.00 16's too.

( of course the stock picture is pointed down the slope of the cement but check out the white wall height.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Lono

Lono

rear shackles installed. End of modifications.

[​IMG]
    Stock

2.5 inch drop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was room to easily gone to 3.5 inches of drop before wishbone and tire issues would have been addressed.

This was a good little exersize for work on my "Deco Delivery" project

[​IMG]

10. do you have any pics of the install from the underside? i'm thinking of doing the '47 after i get new tires/wheels. going back to the 6.00x16 from the 235/75r15 cokers on it now.....they look like balloons on it.

Attached Files:

11. tromollo

tromollo
    from Easton PA

I am looking to do the same setup on my 47 front and rear . For now anyway untill I get more cash ,but The custom shackle mod to the car would be the cheapest for now .plus the removal of 2 leafs would be cost effective too . is there a place to purchace longer shackles ? or do I need to make them .?

12. magnum500

magnum500

Ive been told you can fit a 39 front cross member to get the front down .i have aquired one so going to do front crossmember then onto spring .i just finished doing my rear spring in my 46 by removing the spring and seperating the leaves then put them in a press and slowly removed the arch .first time spring back together was too far and only had 1-1/2 travel .so pulled spring back out and back to the press .now it has 3" of travel bump to axle.
    Going to do the front on weekend .
    This was just a time only fix .i had the press and just a trial and error method .

13. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Magnum500: Wow! Seems like installing a 39 cross member is an awful lot of work
    to lower your car. Why not use a dropped axle, dropped steering arms and Posie spring?

14. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

I came here to see if anyone knows a source for longer shackles that I can bolt onto my 1948 Ford to get it just an inch or inch and a half lower? I'm already running a dropped axle with a bone stock spring. I could do the leaf spring trick, but it still has the factory grease pack wrapping and it's in great condition, so I'd rather try other tricks first. I swear they had to make something back in the day...or now??? Thanks!

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker