Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '60 F100 Daily Driver Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ccain, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Freeze

Freeze
    from Kamloops

I binge-read this post. Twice! Exactly the kind of information and guidance I need. Motivation will take professional help. I bought this 59 Merc last year and have been picking away at mechanicals. I have to do most of what you've shown. What a great help! 20200928_153402_resized.jpg

2. THANKS, man!

Bitchin' Merc!!!
    :cool::cool::cool:

Good luck and, (not that I'm an expert or anything) if there's anything you're needing help with, don't hesitate to PM! ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  3. Love this truck…only way it could look better is if it was in my driveway…

Joe Travers, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Callmaker

Callmaker

Ole truck is coming along real nice!!

Joe Travers, ccain and loudbang like this.
  5. Rand Man

Rand Man

I will be glad to read through this thread. I have my eye on a similar truck.

Joe Travers, ccain and loudbang like this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your truck is so very cool, it makes me smile a lot! I have great memories of going on tow calls with my dad in his 59 Ford Tow truck with a Holmes 550 double boom wrecker body. This is a great build thread indeed!
    Dads 59 Ford tow truck.JPG

bobss396, Joe Travers, Cooon and 6 others like this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Now that you have her all slicked up, it’s time for the lettering. This is a great little truck!

loudbang, Thor1, ccain and 1 other person like this.
  8. Nice update!

ccain and loudbang like this.
  9. Nice little projects, getting better with each bit.

loudbang and ccain like this.
  10. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

You now have an interior to be proud of. Great job and thanks for how to do.

ccain, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  11. Not much of an update as I am smack-dab in the middle of a complete kitchen remodel...

BUT, here's a nod to Bob Falfa. :D

[​IMG]

12. Hey, gang.

Well... after two and a half months of dirt, dust, and WAY too much take-out, I've finally buttoned up the kitchen remodel and am getting back out into the shop. The kitchen came out great and the wife is VERY happy. She literally cried.

I can't wait to use that new stainless apron sink. That thing is huge. I'll bet I could easily fit a couple of cylinder heads in there. Ooooh, and that new double oven should bake powder coat real slick like. And, YES... you're all invited to my funeral, which, incidentally WILL be closed-casket.

But... I digress. Nah... She's tickled pink and I'd do it a hundred more times just to see that look on her face.

BUT, here's where I get into trouble. Now that the kitchen is done and the house in order, rather than another house project, the wife said she now wants me to spend money on my truck. I know... I know! I didn't believe it either and thought it was a trap but, nah. She's serious. They're dead on when they say "happy spouse, happy house", I tell ya what.

Having said all of that, it's no secret that I've struggled with the "1970's" vibe this old girl has been wearing since I bought her a couple of years ago.

And, I know I've been all over the place on this subject since the beginning of the thread, but please bear with me as I've had several head injuries and the wife says that it's best to just let me tire myself out when I get like this. :D

I've said from the get-go that the stance was wrong and those slots, although cool as hell, just don't fit the overall aesthetic I've always had in mind for it.

Oh, and I have lied to myself along the way that I've been happy "not making it so I couldn't use it as a truck" but let's face it, for what I use a truck for, it'll be just fine lowered.

It's kinda always felt like somebody else's build and, even with all the work I've put into it, not really mine. You know?

As a result, for the last couple of years, I've been photoshopping, sketching, and hawking the internet for ideas, all while never really being satisfied with the truck as it sets. I've shared quite a few renderings in the earlier pages of this thread, but none of them ever really stuck.

Of all the resources I've used to pull inspiration from, there are currently two threads hovering around that are just plain bitchin', and you should check them out!

This one,

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/two-things-make-a-car-wheels-and-stance.1087971/

and this one.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ome-on-post-pictures-of-what-you-like.132391/

Started looking through their hallowed pages again, and that got the old photoshop juices flowin'. I once more found myself squinting at this machine, electronically doodling. This time with the idea of an actual budget.

I always run this stuff past the wife, as she has fresh eyes, and a fine art degree. In the past, I've always just gotten mediocre responses when I showed her my ideas for the truck. Whenever I'd show her, she was always like "hmm, that's... okaay I guess." or "mmm I dunno about that one.". I trust her judgement, I mean, after all she she picked me, so she must have impeccable taste. :D

But, diligence pays off I guess and after a couple years of pulling the best parts of my favorite vehicles, for the first time I came up with something and I thought "yeah, that'd work."

AND, tonight, when the wife walked past the office and saw it over my shoulder, she stopped and said "yeah, that's the one.".

That's all the approval I needed, right there. So... In the coming months I will be building toward this:

[​IMG]

The plan is, chrome wheels, pinner whites, dropping it traditionally and praying for no bump-steer, body work, and spraying on a few scallops. Maybe like a gold or champagne colored metal flake trimmed with a pinstripe... maybe lace... maybe just ghosted... not sure yet. This is closer to what I had in mind when I first looked at the truck. Might do a metal flake roof from the drip rails up as well. Might also mess with the grille a little. I dunno.

That's it for now, and I hope you guys are all having a great week!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
  13. That is just about perfect! That's one of the best scallop layouts I've seen on these, don't get fancy, let those do the talking. The only thing I'd change is to paint the wheel centers (just the recess around the lugs, not to the outer rims) the same gold as the scallops and run spider caps. Wowzer!

14. Hell yes!

15. Mike Lawless

Mike Lawless

Being fairly new to the HAMB, I read this front to back. I had put a post up of my own '65 F100 project that I started a little over three months ago, and someone put up this link to use for inspiration.
    Quite a few similarities on the direction and end game. My hope is to replace my 2012 Dodge 1500 with the '65 as my main driver. Older, simpler and something I can actually fix myself.
    A lot of good idears in this thread! Some I'm gonna steal fair and square!

Joe Travers, ccain and Thor1 like this.
  16. Looks great in the rendering! I dropped a 59 (or maybe 60...can’t remember for sure) traditionally (with one of Sid’s axles) and actually planned on writing up a tech article for him. I never did but do have all the pics of that can help any when you get to that point.

Also, the wheel & tire combo and scallops are about perfect as well for the overall look. My sons 63 Chevy pu will be similar.

loudbang, ccain and Thor1 like this.
  17. Just a really true believer in these 57 to 60 F100's here. I bought my first one in 1974 and my second one in 1986. Still have the second one today and still love it. Has had 4 different powertrains since I have had it (including the original 292) now has a 351 like yours. There is a guy on the internet that trimmed his hood to lower it and I really like the look, you might too. I will try to attach a couple photos from his thread. My question to you is how hard is your truck to steer? Mine is a bear to turn sitting still and with wider tires and wheels I tried once I couldn't steer in a parking lot at slow speeds. I was told that a 63-64 steering gear has less friction cause it is recirculating ball, got one but haven't installed yet. Love your truck! img_20151221_181405_565_12371acff62200a9d4cfddae92b9042e77586a2a.jpg img_20151222_182246_376_0a0eabb7fe10a0b67cdb76e0aef04bd07bd63500.jpg

18. THANKS GUYS!!! You're all just THE BEST. Encouragement is one hell of a drug. :D

So, this morning, I had a small laundry list of stuff to do for my son on his OT '87 Silverado. But, now, I'm gonna indulge in a little "me time" in the shop.

The beer is cold and I've got Motrin on board, so... lets go F shit up! :D

Oh man... Having reference pics would be a life saver! Please, yes, and Thank you! :cool:

I'm going with a Sid's axle as well. I've talked to him off and on about what I need to do. I just have to commit. But yeah, I'll take any help I can get. :cool::cool::cool:

loudbang, fauj, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  19. Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    kidcampbell71, loudbang, fauj and 4 others like this.
  20. Thanks!!! Nice truck! I like the idea of the hood chop! That looks bitchin'!

Steering... Hmmm... This thing steers fine when stopped if the tires are just a bit over inflated. I imagine the thing turned great when new on those skinny "pizza cutter" tires that came stock. The wider radials' contact patch is just a bit too sticky I think.

Under normal conditions, you really have to muscle this thing when you're trying to turn from a stop. That's one of the reasons I took out that cool ass vintage 13 1/2" three spoke steering wheel and replaced it with an original 16" wheel out of a Fairlane. I needed the leverage. It helped a lot.

Out on the road, it's not bad at all. I've learned that everything has to be super tight (i.e. steering box, tie-rods, drag-link, and kingpins) or else this thing is terrifying out on the road. It floated around and got squirrely on uneven surfaces. My ass bit a hole in the naugahyde just trying to hold on. :D

When I do the wheel and tire change, I'm going with a narrower tire up front. Should help out a lot.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  21. You are THE MAN!

Damn, I'm jealous as hell over that big back window you have there. :p

loudbang likes this.
  22. Lol...It wasn’t my truck. Sid just sold an axle to a guy and needed someone to install it. So, technically I did it for Sid with the idea of doing the tech article.

23. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Love your '60! Found a '59 last year but it was too far gone for a restoration. Have my eye on a '64 but the seller is asking too much and it isn't going anywhere. He may change his tune. Carry on, good Sir! :)

Joe

loudbang, fauj, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  24. The aluminum bottom grille for mine was one of the many areas that had been hit. I tried to straighten it, but no luck, so I'm headed toward a custom lower grille for mine. Once I finish my endeavor of a new rear tailgate.

Honestly I swear the damn thing had more bondo than straight metal!

Loving your truck and the vision you have for it! Keep it going!

ccain and Thor1 like this.
  25. Sent you a pm with a link to all the pics. Hopefully it works. :D

26. Here is a picture of my second 59 right after I put the 351 in and blew up the spider gears doing a "one tire fire" with my kid in the truck. That was about 17 years ago and he still gives me shit about it. Still have the truck and still enjoy it too much to give it up. Mark's PU 9-15-01 9 1.jpg

27. choppedrod63

choppedrod63

I personally love the slots! They look in great shape. but thats just my opinion... Keep up the good work

Fingers, Thor1, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  28. choppedrod63

choppedrod63

I admit, when you first started I was trying to figure out where this was going...but I freaking love the idea and it turned out great!

loudbang, fauj and ccain like this.
  29. choppedrod63

choppedrod63

Congrats on becoming a Grandad! I have 6 now and love every minute of it! Yes Jr. should get dirty with papa!

Thor1, loudbang, fauj and 3 others like this.
  30. choppedrod63

choppedrod63

Looks great man! That dash is sweet now.

Thor1 and loudbang like this.