Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Does anyone still make reproduction Appleton spotlights?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by TS057, Oct 24, 2021.

1. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

Just like the title says... I remember years ago King of Dice sold them on eBay. I could never even afford the repops but 10 years on I'm slightly less broke and still have dreams of customizing the Shoebox. The other name that comes up is Kustom Kraft but some google searching isn't finding much. Anybody see anything that's actually available lately?
    Thanks!

Daddy Deville likes this.
  2. Seon

Seon

I've got a pair still the boxes. PM me to discuss.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Someone makes new plastics for originals, I don't think anyone ever actually reproduced the whole light in it's entirety, I think the "King of Dice" ones were similar (if not identical to) the Kustom Kraft ones, which were dummies but with a much more accurate look and shape than the cheaper dummies that are commonly available.

Pretty sure the Kustom Kraft ones are out of production now.

4. greaser 35

greaser 35
    from FRANCE

Interesting !!!

5. The Claw

The Claw

Found this ad in a 1983 Classic & Custom magazine and thought it was pretty cool.
    upload_2021-10-31_7-9-4.jpeg

williebill likes this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

According to an online calculator which may or may not be accurate, that's the equivalent of $537 today. I've always heard the Kustom Kraft ones were high quality, they sure weren't cheap.

spinner likes this.
  7. Moon in So Cal was selling them a few years back, maybe check them.

8. Seon

Seon

Well I had a dummy pair that was sitting on my shelf for over 25-30 yrs that I just sold to a member here. He got a heck of a deal.
    IMG_6852.jpg

9. TS057

TS057
    from Fargo, ND
    1. shoe box hambers

These just showed up today - thanks Seon!

Just so you don't feel too bad the ones you sent aren't the real deal Kustom Kraft - but they were still a fair deal! The ones you sent don't have the push button and 12 positions and you can see there is no plate riveted to the bucket where the support stem attaches and also no reflector bowl or anything on the inside. From what I can tell they're similar to (but not identical) to Cal Custom Dummy Jr's. Also similar to other repop dummy lights selling on eBay and from Speedway and the like.

Thanks again!

Surfcityrocker and Sancho like this.
  10. 5window

5window

A bit aside but the great,late Floyd Clymer got his start making a through the Windshield spotlight. Pretty innovative for the time-you should look it up.
    [​IMG]