Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bare Metal Hot Rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Nov 1, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Over the years there have been several bare metal early rods. I was studying Mike Chrisinger's outstanding bare metal Model A at the ROC and it was spotless. I've used Gibbs on the bare metal deuce package customer cars I built in the past but I think Gibbs would attract dust on the road. Do they just constantly clean them with a Scotch pad or something else? An inquiring mind wants to know.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I had DeLorean and used a commercial stainless steel kitchen cleaner with a Scotch Brite pad.

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  3. Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. That car knocked my sox off!

The car looked like it was made from stainless steel. HRP

[​IMG]

Cymro, VANDENPLAS, rpm56 and 3 others like this.

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Could the finish on the shoe box coupe be a wrap?

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's pretty but I think it would be like having a shiny Harley. 5 minutes on the road or 500 miles, it's still going to take the same amount of cleanup.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. A Boner

A Boner

Pretty sure Gibb’s oil actually dries, especially if it is lightly wiped off a little while after application. Being metal I’m thinking the magnetic/static charge is what attracts the dust

8. Keeping that car in that condition is the definition of 'labour of love'.
    I imagine you find a lot of excuses not to drive it when every time the garage door is opened results in hours of detail work after.

alanp561 likes this.
  9. cretin

cretin

We have built a couple and are in the middle of building one currently. We always just use Gibbs, but I have wanted to try this stuff out on something.

http://www.nyalic.co.nz/

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's something that I can't quite understand the "why" or the nonsense of not finishing it after you pulled it out in bare metal for show and tell of your metal work skills at one major event and then put it back in the shop and finished it.

Speedy Canuck and loudbang like this.
  11. cretin

cretin

Some people just like the look and want to keep it that way.
    I wouldn't personally, but whatever blows up your skirt.

12. I wouldn't hesitate painting a rough rod with this stuff. Summit lists it as satin finish but, trust me, it is dead, dead flat. It is catalyzed urethane, and best of all you don 't need a second mortgage on your home to buy a can. Cost is only about $110/gallon which includes the catalyst sold separately. Ends up with a bullet proof finish every bit as durable as that gloss black job with the desired naked rustic look.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...JBwvgGPUs4vZ5c-ujlkV4xAidEOdkj2saArAFEALw_wcB

[​IMG]
    upload_2021-11-2_8-23-56.png

13. Related to this thread, I LOVE this detail a guy put on his bare metal '42 Willys hood.

OHIOSHEETMETAL.JPG

14. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

One From Across The Pond.. australian-hot-rodder-5.jpg

15. larry k

larry k

But what is the point of cars with no protective outer finish???

loudbang likes this.
  16. Sure looks that way to me

loudbang likes this.
  17. Packrat

Packrat

Am I reading the price correctly on that magazine? $29.95?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  18. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Not everyone's thing, & not mine from a maintenance point but always interesting to see the seams, joints, butt welds etc. of a well crafted chop or factory seams for that matter, not to mention lead work or lack there of by a savvy top rung fabricator.

19. It's not, it's polished raw metal

20. And he has an appointment to have my buddy Tim Rein ( Swedupokie) do the interior in January

21. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I built model cars for a long time. I always did my own top chops, sectioning, whatever. No resin bodies for me. The contests I entered usually had a project table. I would show my stuff in bare plastic so others could see my cuts. Very precise, very little filler, and I finished the inside almost as nice as the outside. The cool thing about looking at an "unfinished" car is it prompts the viewer's imagination.

Cymro, LOU WELLS and RJP like this.