Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Why do you like Ford, Chevy, Dodge,etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Oct 25, 2021.

1. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Man, that is just plain wicked!!! I can't imagine keeping it between the lines :eek:

Joe

Deuces and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

My Dad was first a Chevy man, then WWII turned him to Ford. Since I’m a product of WWII, I grew up in a Ford family. It just came naturally…..Fords are easy to love! Later I continued with Fords and still race Fords…..mainly because everybody races Chevies! Just like to be different. We are currently campaigning a Ford against a huge fleet of Chevies…..with some success! That’s fun….coming in first with a Ford against 26 Chevies!
    But what is odd now…… all my main drivers, now , are MoPar! Crazy!

Just as long as it isn’t that forgien crap!

Bones

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Blues4U, Cooon, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  3. indianharry

indianharry

I'm definitely a Chevy guy but i go crazy for all hot rods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deuces likes this.
  4. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

$$$, Lloyd. Henry was an innovator and was constantly trying to improve product. Engine line was constantly changing after the flathead, so interchange is much more limited. The SBC design didn't change for almost 50 years, creating almost unlimited supply of parts, compared to FoMoCo. Supply side economics.

Joe

indianharry, Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.
  5. goldmountain

goldmountain

For me, it wasn't a case of what I like as much as what was there. I was told about a '47 Plymouth with a swapped in slant six and bought it. Kept on buying slant six cars that would accept that engine when I found something better for the Plymouth. Got a job at a Chevy dealership and got dragged over to the dark side.

6. LAROKE

LAROKE

I like all makes now but in my formative years, it was family tradition. My brother wrote about it - One thing ya need to understand about the Kephart Clan is that every one of us has some mechanical ability. We all have opinions on what will work and what won't work and we're all either staunch Ford men or staunch Chevrolet men. There is no middle ground. Just a side note: both Larry and I were nearly shunned when we bought American Motors products. Larry got a Javelin and I got a Gremlin. Okay, I can understand why I was in trouble. The family had placed Dad on probation when he bought a Plymouth Fury.

7. In order of preference 810 812 Cord, 53 Buick Skylark, 66 67 Toronado, 35 39 Ford tubs (4 Dr conv), 29 Model A roadster, 46 to 48 Chevy, Graham Hollywood. Lucky me I've owned most all of these cars over the years and have had a ball with them. Got started on cars with conversations with my Dad. when I was a teen. JW.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that for most of us you go with what you were around when you grew up. Dad, grandpa or uncle Vernon drove Chevys so you looked for a Chevy or one found you.
    Then it comes down to what we always liked when we looked at cars in the magazines or saw them on the street.

My grandfather bought a new 48 Chevy 1 ton truck that he and my uncle with my dad's help built a flatbed and cattle racks on. That was also the rig I learned to drive a stick in when I was 13 or 14. The 48 came as a 75 dollar beater to drive to work in 1973 but wormed it's way into being part of the family over the years. The list of cars I have had since 1963 is a total mixed bag Too long and too boring for here outside of a 51 Merc, 59 Elkie, 62 Impala and 63 Impala ragtop. Those were the cars that I actually drove for a length of time. The rest of the list covers the whole spectrum from 55 Metropolitan ragtop to a fully loaded Cad DTS.
    My wife could count the cars that I got for her that she could get in and drive the day I bought them on one hand. She probably has had 20 cars over the years and the majority were bought cheap or given to me and I either built and engine for them or did other repair work to put a car together for her to drive. Buy a decent looking car that needed some work and fix it and let her drive it.

Joe Travers and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. I like Harley Davidsons……

10. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

Dinah Shore singing "See the USA in a Chevrolet" did it for me!

11. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I love Chevy's 'cause their parts are so interchangeable, especially the 265" to 400" SBC.
    I've worked on small-block Fords, but it seemed like everything had to match exactly....dampner,
    oil pump, rocker, distributor, push rods, cam..

I call it the Skippy peanut butter theory...if your mom and dad used Skippy peanut butter when you
    were growing up, you probably use Skippy peanut butter now, too. My brother loved small block
    Chevys, so that what I learned to love.

Dodges were just too confusing to me...but they were quick..

12. CycleTech

CycleTech
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like I tell everyone who calls me a 'Harley"rider. Nope, I am a motorcycle rider. I ride anything. I will ride my Suzuki or Hondas with a pack of Harleys. Or I will ride my homebuilt Chopper with an aftermarket engine(100cu in. RevTech) Hell I like riding scooters too.
    Same for cars and trucks. I dont like em all but I do like some of all of them.

Blues4U and Roger Loupias like this.
  13. I ride Harley’s because that’s what I love, I’ve had Hondas, Suzukis, and Triumphs also, I don’t hate any motorcycles, I just prefer Harleys. I also don’t look like a “biker” either.

Blues4U, Roger Loupias and Boneyard51 like this.
  14. I am with mr48chevy, I grew up with Fords and liked them, still drive them but there were a few exceptions. I hated to go to a cruise in or car show and there was a line of 55 Chevys and a line of 56 Chevys and a line of 57 Chevys....... like everyone has a belly button too. So I tended to try not to follow the crowd, I was into station wagons while all my friends were robbing the powertrains out of them and junking the bodies. I even got into Studebakers for many years because I liked the styling but found out it cost the same to build a Studebaker but it was worth 1/3 what a Chevy or Ford was when you were done. I have been ripped off by UPHOLSTERY shops more times than I can count, paint is expensive as well so I tend to buy a project based on if I like the style and then by what it needs. I can do mechanical and most body work to my satisfaction, I kinda suck at paint, and can't do upholstery. I also ALWAYS keep the engine the same as the body, Ford in a Ford, Gm in a Gm, Studebaker in a Studebaker. etc. the only exceptions have been pre war or imports like a 289 in a Sunbeam Tiger. Never owned a LS motor and never intend to. I went to work in a Ford dealer in about 1970 and used to flip several cars a year (mostly Mustangs) and parted out many more. So mostly Fords in my life, a couple Chevys, a few imports for daily drivers and a lot of Mopars for later model drivers for the last 20 years but is another story. Just another comment but has anyone else noticed that certain model years almost all the makes were were really nice, 1957 being one example. Sorry for the long rant. Mark

15. HOTRODNORSKIE

HOTRODNORSKIE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dads first car was a 41 Chevy coup. Trough a rod coming home from the lot put a new 6 in it had all kinds of problems. Traded it off on a 50 ford put a 53 merc in it he was a ford man till he died hated chevys . So i was all ford at first but like all old tin now as long as its US made.

Deuces, nosford and Boneyard51 like this.
  16. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Going way back it seemed television had the more upbeat jingles for Chevrolet and recognizable body styles. When riding with my parents as a kid of 12, I was calling out the model cars and years as they went by, mostly by looking at the ass end. I caught on with the fords and Mopars and called them out also. I got lost on naming the big rolling land yachts, I had no interest in those cause I knew I would never own one. Later with a D.L. I didn't care what I drove but I made it cool looking. I did aim for the Chevy's, but later came every make under the sun but Jap. Like Willy Nelson once sang, "for all the girls I've loved before" my version would be, "for all the cars I've loved before".

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

18. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

Great memories, thanks.

Tickety Boo and Deuces like this.
  19. Roger Loupias

Roger Loupias

I recently had to sell my Wide Glide due to a botched up hand surgery. Ive owned eight and miss them all.

Attached Files:

20. rlsteel

rlsteel

They all got pistons that go up and down- I like them all. I think you limit yourself by choosing one brand.

21. Dad was in an M8 during WW II.Came back liking Ford's

Boneyard51 and Deuces like this.

22. You make a good point about certain years that most manufacturers hit the nail on the head style-wise: '35 to'38 were pretty good across the board, '39 and '40 were great for all and a home run for Ford, post war to '51 were pretty good, then some of them started to derail. '57 was good, '58 was a total waste (Impala's excepted, Jnaki), '61 was good, and a crapshoot after that. It seems that there were some years that would indicate the C.I.A. was doing their LSD experiments with the Detroit Auto Designers Guild!!
    The same holds true for interior design as well as body design...from about '40 to about '57, almost all the dashes were well thought out and attractive, after that it was a crap shoot. But also in the mid '50s, paint schemes and combinations went goofy... who was the rocket surgeon that thought THREE tone paint jobs looked good??
    OK, my rant is over, too. Carry on...

23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Henry was an innovator?!?! If it were up to Henry we'd be looking at 2021 model t's! Lol. Edsel, the Duece, and many after them were innovators. And Henry was to a point, but he fought his kid tooth and nail on a lot of innovation as he aged.

And I'm a Ford guy!

Deuces, nosford, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  24. Yeah after watching that documentary "the cars that built America", my opinion is that Henry was a piece of shit.

25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That's 'cause they got it right the first time! ;) :D

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    427 sleeper likes this.
  26. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I don’t think you understand ole Henry. He did more for America that any other one man!

Bones

Truckdoctor Andy and Joe Travers like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't want to get political but Henry made one heck of a difference for the war effort during WWII. Mods, if this is considered too political or OT please delete.

28. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

um, no he didn't he was not a nice man look up his political history

29. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

His contribution to the USA was enormous! Nice or not, you are enjoying the benefits of his efforts , right now!

Bones

30. He was an innovator, I'm an instigator :p you can read it in a book, watch it on TV, but I guess if we weren't there, how do we know it's the truth? It took every bit of history to make things the way they are today. :D