Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cold garage jacket recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Oct 22, 2021.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to know. Thanks.

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

A fleece pullover will light up like a Coleman lantern mantle if it gets a spark to ignite the fuzz! I had it happen to me while watching a customer weld after I wired up his new welder outlet. Standing by with a hood over my face just watching, when suddenly somebody began slapping me all over my arms! I turned to see why he was slapping me and the whole surface of my fleece was glowing like a fire working up the side of a hill in brush!
    Last time I wore fleece around any welding. Chamois shirts that get old and fuzzy will do the same thing too!

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Carhardt's standard lining on jackets is blanket wool. It's only their heavier winter quilted lining that's got the nylon quilting.

4. Army field jacket with removable liner.

Joe Travers and dmar836 like this.
  5. dmar836

dmar836

Layers with the second to last one having a hoodie. I cut the draw strings short so they don't get caught in a lathe or other power tool.As mentioned, only cotton or leather outer if doing heavy welding.
    If knowingly brutal and outside - Under Armor. But that gets too warm in a cold garage IMO.

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

J Crew rollneck wool sweater. I have a black "charcoal" one I've worn in the shop for years (15 plus?) and I need to replace it.

7. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

My daughter bought me an English mechanics sweater for Christmas it perfect to keep you warm it a garage with just a little heat.

8. Try the thin nitrile gloves... I have the same cold hand problem, and it's surprising how much difference those thin things can make. YMMV

Sporty45 likes this.
  9. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Having worked in fab shops and large industrial sites, there was someone around to hose you down with a water hose, wither you needed it or not. :rolleyes:

10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Here in Florida,for those that don't know, in mid Feb. at speedweeks,in the week before the Daytona 500,we race all week at local small tracks. Often there are days an more nites below 32*.
    Working on race cars in the chill is done with fire trash drums out side,but often in the inclosed trailers with tube heaters of a number of brands an types ,powered by propane like a BBQ > like this one as a exsample ;https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mr-Heate...591256304?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Santa brought my son one of those work hoodies that is electrically warmed with a battery. He likes it. On the other hand he constantly wears a 12 year old wool hoodie that’s been repaired a few times. I wear a cotton sweatshirt with a T-shirt under it when it gets down into the forties. But your best bet is wool, buy used at whatever charity thrift store near you.

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Just prior to feeling the guy patting out the fire, I was thinking, "Man that big 400 amp, 480 volt wire feed sure radiates a lot of heat!"
    Then I realized it didn't really.

13. indyjps

indyjps

Hmm, been wearing them for a few years, they're full of burn marks but I never went up in flames.
    Good call, I'll put on the welding jacket when I strike an arc.

14. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

15. "The unit heater and propane wall heaters are cheap, but the install is very expensive - because I'd have to have a propane line run from the basement, almost 100 ft."
    I faced the same problem although with natural gas, too far from service to be cost effective. I went to propane for the shop with it's own dedicated tank. Here we can get delivery as long as it's over a certain amount. Our winters vary but, as an average, I can go about 1.5 winters before having it refilled (about a 250 gallon tank).

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Our company supplied fleece pullovers, and chamois shirts to all the electricians I worked with. When I reported the incident, and took one of my spare shirts into work, and demonstrated how it glowed like a catalytic heater, the safety guy went off the deep end!
    They immediately sent out messages to all of the company employees to stop wearing them, and replaced them with shirts that didn't catch fire. Of course we all kept the shirts, and used them at home for working around the house. But not for welding or grinding. I've been retired 11 years, and I still have work shirts and fleece pullovers that are 20 years old from my last job.

indyjps likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

You're right. Thought I conveyed that last message. It's good info. Thank you. You're right. images (4).jpeg

18. I have a full length fire proof quilted racing suit I got at a swap meet because it was out of date for $5 including a pair of gloves!

19. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

This! These are worn my professional mechanics everywhere, for good reason. They are warm, they fit tight, they are stain resistant, they are flame resistant, they wear like iron.

20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

In all seriousness, it's hard to work when you're all bundled up like the kid from A Christmas Story. Get some heat in the shop and work like a human being. My shop has actual forced hot air heat now from. oil fired furnace, but years ago I kept it pretty low tech. When I'd work in my mom's 2 car garage, I'd set up a basic bullet heater and run that. The snow would be on the ground outside and I could be in there comfortably working in short sleeves.

21. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

For years I have used my old army field jacket. It is showing a lot of wear as i ETS'd in 68. It has served me well.

Joe Travers likes this.
  22. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had 2 field jackets when I ETS"d in '73. Wore one out. The other was in really good condition with the button in quilted liner and button on hood with coyote fur fringe. I was shocked when my 20 something year old son wanted it to walk to work in. He just moved from Seattle back to SoCal so it may come back to me yet.

R A Wrench and Joe Travers like this.
  23. Deadbird

Deadbird

Carhartt full zip heavyweight hooded sweatshirt. I'm on my third one in like 20 years.

24. 29A-V8

29A-V8
    from wyoming

cooler weather 40s 50s henley long sleeve under short sleeve heavy cotton tee, any long sleeve cotton or denim button shirt starch it heavily leave the tail out sparks and grindings bounce off.