Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A wheel change ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jhouse88, Oct 31, 2021.

1. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I have a 1931 Tudor sedan that’s bone stock. I have an av8 chassis I’ve been building and it has brand new firestones on it in 7.50-16 and 6.00-16 size. What do I need to do to safely mount the 1940 wheels on a stock
    Model A. I thought it was as straight forward as bolt on a go but I was told it is not. I’ll search for some 16” Kelseys if I have to but I like the 40 wheels better and I already have um. Just trying to enjoy it a lil bit while I finish up the av8 chassis

Attached Files:

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The isssue is that the stock mechanical brakes have a ring on the face of the drum which interferes with the 40’ wheels bolting on correctly. I’ve seen people mill the ring off the drums or there might be an adapter out there?

panhead_pete likes this.
  3. My advice would be to go for the Kelseys, I think they look better. What is wrong with the wheels that are on it now? Having said that this post shows how to install Model A rims on the later hydraulic drums but it has enough info that you can understand the problem.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045
    Also note once you add the spacers your studs may be too short and you will have to replace them. Can you just grind the humps off? I have heard yes and no on this but in general I don't like to screw up original parts.

Years ago I was riding in a Model A a friend owned and the wheel fell off, I think it was from trying to run the later wheels without spacers on the stock Model A drums. Luck was with us, driving slow on a quiet street with a front yard and flower bed just ready to catch the wheel, it could have been a school bus full of kids on the freeway.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    5window likes this.
  4. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I mean this with no disrespect to the knowledgeable older fellas on this site but the only issues with the stock wheels are well…..they are grandpa-ish. That and I have brand new bigs and littles on my av8 chassis. I’m gonna eventually av8 the car but for first year or so, I wanna take the bumpers off, reverse the spring eyes and do the wheels

panhead_pete likes this.

5. desotot

desotot

I believe what you meant was grandma ish.

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

buddy balances vintage bike and land speed wheels, he likes adjustable spokes...
    i think the kelseys are ...

7. A Boner

A Boner

The way I see it the 40 Ford steel wheels are the ultimate upgrade for 40’s & 50’s Hot Rods! The 16” wires were the ultimate until 1940. JMHO

X38 likes this.
  8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps pick up a set of wires, run them until you are ready then sell them.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  9. alchemy

alchemy

Tim had it. Machine the raised portion inboard of the studs. I've read that using spacers doesn't leave enough length for the studs to hold a nut properly.

10. jhouse88

jhouse88
    from toledo

I think that’s what I’ll do

panhead_pete likes this.