Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1932 Ford Fordor measurements needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dutchrod, Oct 30, 2021.

1. dutchrod

dutchrod

I got a 1931 Chrysler body that I want to put on 32 ford rails with 32 grill and model A hood and keep it a fordor.
    It won't be a wannabe Ford because the body is different but I love the proportions of the 32 ford and want to use that as a guideline.
    The Chrysler body seems to be a bit long , it looks like I have to shorten it in the rear side window area.
    Can anybody please give me the following measurements from a 32 ford fordor ? : front door , rear door , rear side window , body length from back panel to A pilar.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

1932-ford-fordor-sedan-body-1.JPG
    My Chrysler body:
    IMG_6105.jpeg

2. Fordors

Fordors

6A41DDF2-A66F-4084-93B2-94FA551E7693.jpeg I cannot access my Fordor right now so I can’t get the measurements you show. From previous experience I can tell you that the cowl is about 13” long at the bottom, the front door is 28” and the rear door to the fender well is 14”.
    The total of 55 inches should be your concern, you want the proportions to look good. If the Chrysler body is longer than 55” from the firewall to the fender well it will make the hood to radiator shell short.
    Your concern should be from the stainless trim strip on the cowl back to the rear fender, the firewall does extend about 2 to 2 1/2” forward of that trim strip but you can always tunnel the firewall for engine clearance.

3. dutchrod

dutchrod

Thanks , I will measure and compare
    tomorrow morning.
    I looks to me that the Chrysler body is a bit longer behind the fender well and maybe also in the cowl.
    Nothing that can't be changed with a grinder and welder.

4. Get the frame stretcher out instead

5. dutchrod

dutchrod

No I think it would look out off proportion for a hot rod.

6. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

But you are not building a Ford hot rod but a Chrysler hot rod so it should look different, of you want the look of a Ford then get a Ford body

redo32 likes this.
  7. dutchrod

dutchrod

i know but it just don’t look good this long without fenders.
    And if the proportions on a 32 are spot on and i am using a 32 frame why not try to use the 32 dimensions as a template.

Over here in the Netherlands we have to use what we got , 32 ford bodies are not so easy to find.
    I was lucky to get my hands on this Chrysler body

pprather likes this.
  8. dutchrod

dutchrod

9. dutchrod

dutchrod

I compared the Chrysler with your numbers and the cowl is only 3/4 inch longer , the front door is the same but the rear door is about 4 inch longer.
    I can shorten it in the middle of the door to get better proportions.

don’t know the dimensions yet about the rear window and rear door at the beltline.