Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keeping the windshield from fogging up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 29, 2021.

1. BJR

BJR

Well it's time to find an old cool looking heater with the defrost ducts on the top and install it. It's time to move into the late 1930's, when most cars had heaters with defrosters.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    AHotRod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

HRP I got tired of a cold car in the winter time, I drove my 36 Willys sedan to college in the snow one time. I installed a after market 12v hot water heater in it and it made a difference. But didn't defog the window much. If I saw that thing I'd buy it and I hate HF but I would try it. They had snow at Whiteface Mtn. in NY last night. Good Luck.

Pat

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you need one?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. Cymro

Cymro

Believe it or not a heater was an optional extra on many cars and light commercial vehicles produced here in Britain until the mid to late 1960s.

seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

In my 37, running with the door windows cracked open 1/2” and the heat on works pretty well against fogging over. I keep a towel handy though.

The motorcycle guys recommend Clarity Defog It for face shields. I’ve used it on shields and goggles and it works. Haven’t tried it on a windshield, but I may have to see if it helps.

bchctybob and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can remember my Grandpa telling me stories of using rubbing alcohol on the windows to get rid of the condensation and frost, and keep the air moving across the glass.

7. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

Those HF heater/defrosters are a waste of money.

With my old 50 Dodge 4x, I had an original heater with defrost, even it wasn't very effective. Since I drove the truck year around (I used it to plow snow), I added a 6" fan that I had mounted on the roof just behind the windshield. The one I had was an oscillating fan, but I discovered when it was oscillating, it wasn't efficient at all, I needed it pointed directly at the driver side windshield and it would clear the driver side windshield in a couple minutes and would clear the other side shortly after. I only used the heat to warm the inside of the cab.

I suspect the air speed coming out of the fan makes the defrost more efficient, you want the high speed air blowing on the glass.

In my 49 I have a modern heating/defrost system, that defroster fan kicks butt! Set at high speed, it begins clearing the windshield by the end of the driveway (the driveway is 88' long), and by the end of the 1st block, the entire windshield is nearly clear, no AC and heat hasn't even started to work that fast.

As an interesting side note, my 49 Dodge had an optional seat heater! Dodge cut a hole in the cab floor about 3" in diameter. They wrapped tin duct work around the sides and top of the muffler and directed that muffler warmed air up into the cab, under the seat. The entire area around the seat bottom (bench seat) was surrounded with sheet metal with vents facing the front so the captured heat would flow towards the driver & passenger's feet as it left from under the seat. There was a slide gate to shut off the air flow coming through the floor when it was not wanted.

Think about it, the 1st thing warmed up on a car/truck is the muffler. If you can capture the heat the hot muffler emits, and duct it to an enclosed area, that heat will rise up and warm that area pretty fast. You can then have an outlet that is big enough to allow the nearly free heat to enter the rest of the cab, and you can control how much heat enters the cab with the sliding gate valve. Wouldn't take much to take the chill off a ride, then ad a high speed fan for defrost, and you have heat and defrost. Gene

9. BJR

BJR

Back in the day everyone used frost shields. Kind of made your windows into thermopanes.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. HSF

HSF
    from Lodi CA

I do the same thing in my.old cars as I do with my helmet visor, crack it just a little for airflow. My high end helmets have pinlocks, my old cars, just open the the side glass or wing windows a bit. Maybe I'll get my defrost ducts in this year.......

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

You could eat beans and fart better than those HF 12v things. Might be able to warm up frozen fingers if you hold them close. I guess that's something but defrost, nope.

seb fontana, HOTRODPRIMER and da34guy like this.
  12. Lil32

Lil32

HRP
    we do not have that problem in my town

13. SS327

SS327

You could quit breathing. That would keep the windows from fogging up.

Lil32, seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

I 2nd RainX AntiFog. Worked great for me.

15. The TRADITIONAL equipment for your car would be a small, unshielded rubber-bladed electric fan mounted on the dash or A pillar, aimed at the windshield. If it was good enough for Grampa, it's good enough for you!

16. I still occasionally for 'em up...caused by wheezing!

SS327, seb fontana and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. nobby

nobby

Steel Demist Vent Heating Air Con | eBay
    [​IMG]
    trim 3/8'' 10mm from each end, they fit straight in a 37
    face the inlet tube forwards
    MGB MGC MG MIDGET AUSTIN HEALEY SPRITE HEATER DEMISTER RUBBER ELBOWS 14G3499 NEW | eBay
    [​IMG]
    these elbows plug straight into an early hadeese style heater
    Fits For Matrix 2000- with Seals & Clips Vauxhall Corsa C HEATER RADIATOR | eBay
    these are about the same size as an early style heater core/matrix
    [​IMG]
    count the fin row and compare lengths

squrrel fan ? me either!
    Squirrel Cage Heater Fan For Kit Car Track Rally Classic | eBay
    [​IMG]

also lets not forget....
    adjustable wiper arms exist......
    Trico Wiper Arms Adjustable 10 3/4 To 13 Inch Shaft Fitment 14.8mm LH crank Nos | eBay
    [​IMG]
    so these are 'even' available in other adjustable lengths.
    the park hockey stick available either way too.
    known as lucas, but really trico.....
    so you can then get the stainless blades in any length you require - groovy
    yes - I hear you say, but the have a spline on them so won't work
    Wiper arm Splined Adapter Set (Pair) Land Rover Defender, Series 2a/3 (STC987) | eBay
    [​IMG]

then you fit these.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  18. I grew up outside of Buffalo and one of my first cars was a '72 super beetle...if you know anything about beetles then you understand the combination of heater channels and salted roads...
    Anyway. I needed a defroster solution. So I found an old portable hair dryer exactly like the one pictured below at a yard sale, made a pinch bracket for it and mounted it to the dash and it worked pretty well.
    Chappy
    HD.jpg

1oldtimer, AHotRod, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  19. It is rare I get forced into using one of the old cars to help out at Brenda's shop but our daughter totaled the Flower Shop magnum wagon Monday and got hurt pretty bad, so I am looking for a temporary solution to a temporary problem with the windshield fogging.

I bought anti fogging rain-X cloth last night but it's not raining today so no problem at the moment. HRP

bchctybob, pprather and Lil32 like this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Sorry to hear of your Daughter's injuries- wish her the very best with her recovery

21. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP, first hope your daughter will be OK. As far as anti fogging solutions go, way back when I used to scuba dive there was a product to keep your diving mask from fogging up. Never used it because a piece of kelp wiped on the inside of the mask worked just fine. But my guess is that kelp is in short supply where you are in SC. But the anti fog stuff for divers might be worth a try if its still even on the market.
    Edit:
    This from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/GIIOASA-Upgr...cphy=9031457&hvtargid=pla-1259012991264&psc=1

22. Wishing a speedy and complete recovery for your daughter.

23. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Something like this may help, plugged into the cigarette lighter. I've got one in our 57, it works decent. Screenshot_20211030-160524_Chrome.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes prayers . Your family needs a bit of good luck .

25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

These work pretty good in trucks. Cracking a window helps a lot too.

Attached Files:

AHotRod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

Danny, don't talk so much in the car...LOL

HOTRODPRIMER and Lil32 like this.
  27. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Sorry to hear of your daughter's accident. We will be praying for her complete healing and recovery.............

28. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

With my 32 3 window, RAIN X anti fog , works ‼️

29. Lil32

Lil32

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know I'm going to catch hell from the non-tobacco users but, tear up a couple of cigarettes and put them in a small dish, add just enough water to soak them well, wipe the juice on the inside of your windshield and polish with a dry cloth. It really does work.

Casey Riley and HOTRODPRIMER like this.