Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Louvred Trunk-lids...Why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Oct 29, 2021.

1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Coolest 3rd brake light ever. Saw a picture of this somewhere. Think it was a deuce, with a trunk lid full of louvers, which was cool anyway. But then he stuck a bright red light in the trunk. The louvers let the light out, so the whole trunk lid lit up.

2. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

If you don't want to punch the louvers or worry about water in your trunk you can go this route. Mantuajohn

Attached Files:

Beanscoot likes this.
  3. I figured it was more for the long road trips when the weather is brutally hot and muggy. Put the dirty laundry :confused: in the trunk and the stink makes its way out of the trunk through the louvers and not into the cab. I could be wrong o_O

I think the first recorded venting of trunk lids started with a touring rock band using the name Sammy Stinkle and the Pit Stains. Again, could be wrong.

4. If you ever see a roadster on the salt with the lid unlatched it will stand straight up at speed. There is a ton of pressure in there. Louvers reduce the pressure. A couple of us were talking about this the other day

Nailhead A-V8 and jimmy six like this.
  5. Keeps the decklid from rising past 175 MPH..... 34 5_20.jpg

6. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

4612532-2372b1f8e56bb8448d2b186b615cb02b.jpg
    "If you don't want to punch the louvers or worry about water in your trunk you can go this route" . . . along with your snap-on Moon-like discs.

jimmy six, X38 and Tman like this.
  7. ... fake Olds on SBC rocker covers and Don Garlits injector stacks over a four barrel. :D

HOTRODNORSKIE likes this.
  8. It's just another part of hot rodding, some like louvers in trunk lids & some don't, the same thing with Moon Disc. HRP

[​IMG]

Dean Lowe, Just Gary, GordonC and 3 others like this.
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I used some of these on my 37 sedan, facing forward they make GREAT defroster vents on the top of the dash. Mine were bolt on from below, assume these are also.

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Because why not? hotrod-a-rama.jpg

Jibs, williebill, GordonC and 2 others like this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...But louvers on a rumble lid would only lead to a wet ass:mad:.

gnichols, 5window and J. A. Miller like this.
  12. Just think when you stop for lunch you can use the louvers as a cheese grader!

il_794xN.2222451656_ham0.jpg

With no interior they aid in ventilation, not to mention last night's chili farts clear out pretty fast! :D HRP

13. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

3QtrRear.JPG
    ChoppedCar20060518r.JPG
    I had a nice 36 three window coupe that looked like a restomod but I wanted to chop it and add louvers.
    Found a chopped 3w in StreetScene the first week of December 2001 and picked it up December 30th I think off of Long Island. Came with louvered hood and trunk,;)
    I loved the car and drove it many a mile. Now living in CA.
    Why louvers? Because they are cool!:D

Motorwrxs, Tman and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Dunno why others do it. I did it because I like it 20210808_165920.jpg

15. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Made a mistake! entered the louver machine backwards----Haaaaa!!!

Beanscoot likes this.
  16. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do fools fall in love?

John

WalkerMD likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

"Because you can" is a good reason. "Because it looks cool" is quite up for debate. Your car, do what you wish, but the style doesn't turn my wheels.

MMM1693 likes this.
  18. 5window

5window

I don't know. One panel with louvers looks a bit unfinished IMHO. I think if it had been mine, I would have punched louvers in the panel below the trunk lid, too. JMTC

19. 3spd

3spd

I'm going to louver the deck lid of my '27 roadster so when I close the doors the air pressure doesn't spike and hurt my ears.

In all honesty if you have to ask why people do it, you might want to reconsider what forum you read. Traditional hotrods are the anti-form follows function. Trad hot rodding is all about the aesthetic - its not about what it does, its about how it makes you feel.

WalkerMD and williebill like this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. gene-koning

gene-koning

If something is (or isn't) on my car, it doesn't matter to me if it makes sense to you or not. Its my car.

If you don't like it, catch me in the right mood with the right amount of cash and take it home with you, then do whatever you want with it.

Jibs and Chicster like this.
  22. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

You are seriously concerned about louverd deck lids? Wow. I’m thinking that’s way down the list on a traditional hot rod forum. Maybe we should reach out to Eric Vaughn on this. But shit, what does he know?

23. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

• Well I got something going! For those who got close to uncivil re-read my original post...by asking the question as I did I actually got a few of you to exhort their virtues. Now maybe that’s what I was trying for in the first place. Thanks for participating!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  25. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Well shit, your trying in for got me to extort my virtues! Happens to me all the time!! I thought you were serious, but in reviewing you’re thread- that surely could not have been the case! Lol! Damn I feel extorted for got me in my not having not virtue. Again!! Thx man.

26. CC-Mo

CC-Mo

On original panels? I say why. On aftermarket or fabbed panels, why not if that’s the look your going for..

MMM1693 likes this.
  27. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

An Anti-Boyd statement.
    Marcus...

28. This Hotrod wouldn’t look right without the louvres imho.

panhead_pete likes this.
  29. 5window

5window

I think it's been pretty civil for the HAMB. Almost 60 posts, and the threads still open!

Beanscoot likes this.
  30. In all honesty, I think they look great on a hood, trunk or both. On the other hand, my wife can tolerate some in a hood but can't stand louvers on trunk lids. Although she believes I am perfcet ;) ... I am willing to accept that she is not :eek: :D

ekimneirbo and GordonC like this.