Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Olds Powered Dragster - Supposedly There's History Here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-Blow, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I first saw this dragster about a year ago. I was up in Wichita Falls, Texas buying a 40 Ford frame for my 29AV8 project. The guy had a ton of old cars around. I noticed this dragster sitting in the weeds, and it intrigued me. The story I was told was that it was built from a picture of Eddie Hill's first dragster. And, that it was used in a Penzoil Infomercial. It did not actually run, but it was pulled across the set. Fast forward to last week, after thinking about it off an on, I decided to make an offer. He accepted and I drove up first thing the next morning and picked it up.

I'm not sure that I have anything with real history, but I still think it's so cool! For grins, I did send an email to Eddie Hill's Fun Cycles to see if they could confirm or deny the story. They responded and said that they would forward it, as well as the pics, along to Eddie. So, I'm just waiting to hear back. Meanwhile, I've been looking the engine over a little bit. It sat outside, uncovered, for many years. It is locked up tight! I pulled the plugs and sprayed PB Blaster in each hole. I also pulled the valve covers and soaked the push rods and rocker assembly. I will likely just pull it all down and see if there is any damage to the block. I do know that it has one broken rocker arm. I'm not an Oldsmobile guy, but I think this is a 324 from 1955. If not, maybe someone can help identify it.
    Dragster 1.jpg Dragster 2.jpg Dragster 3.jpg Dragster 4.jpg Dragster 6.jpg Dragster 7.jpg Dragster 8.jpg Dragster 14.jpg Dragster 15.jpg

2. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Dragster 17.jpg Dragster 18.jpg Dragster 19.jpg Dragster 20.jpg Dragster 21.jpg Dragster 22.jpg

Attached Files:

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Try a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone instead of PB Blaster.

4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I sure hope that you took pictures of the rest of the iron sitting in that yard!

partsdawg, loudbang, Deuces and 2 others like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neato...it looks like an early 50s go fast...yeah...looks like a gold mine of tin indeed...congrats and that'd be a thrill at the Trog and other early drag events...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    TFoch, loudbang, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  6. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tman, loudbang, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  7. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

loudbang, Deuces, catdad49 and 2 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lucky those pickers are into so many other things I mean they take the odd Vintage Hotrod or car/truck but they don't clean up shop...

loudbang, Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  9. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

He has an absolutely incredible motorcycle collection. And, he has tons of cool old hot rod stuff. But, a lot of it is not for sale.

Tman, loudbang, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  10. Yep......he beat me down on a quick change I had at Pate - didn't matter because I made some money on it - he took it down to his spot and raised $200 over my ask - funny guy he is. He's got a lot of M/C stuff - why Mike and crew were there - and thanks for cleaning up the place a little - his kids thank you !

He's on the old Jacksboro Hwy out South West of Wichita Falls - maybe a goggle search ?

11. raven

raven

I'd be hard pressed to leave it as it. I'd be trying to keep the original feel and still improve it a bit.
    r

loudbang, Deuces and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and buy some good ass padding...:D...well this ones got frame for wheelie bars...lots of Hotrod in it...

Theres a pic I'm thinking of with one of the well known racers in one similar to that...

loudbang, Deuces and catdad49 like this.
  13. By the number on the heads (8) it would appear that this engine is a '55 324. what did the broken rocker arm look like? Factory piece or adjustable?

Stogy, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  14. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Here’s a pic of it.
    DB3FB3E6-F145-4045-A3D0-23A145F98816.jpeg

15. Those are just factory items. I suspect then that this old engine was just thrown in there to get the dragster moving. Any logo on the 2x4 intake?

16. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Yes, according to @misteroffy on IG, it is an original Offenhauser dual quad intake.
    93EEDE22-C2BC-437C-AFA7-168179EE2C34.jpeg

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Is the transmission a BM hydro stick?

18. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Looks like someone had a lot of leftover Ford blue sometime.:D It's a shame they got some on that Rocket.

craig b blue and loudbang like this.
  19. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I don’t know the answer to that. I do know it’s a 4 speed. Some of the pics above only came through as thumbnails. Here are the trans pics.
    E2AD9749-BE4D-4ECC-B099-9AA17EE39326.jpeg 9A1AA63C-45D6-4A0E-B0A6-B1F0459458FB.jpeg F225CDF5-6006-4B15-ADE0-11CBE0D7FC15.jpeg 6CD7BFA6-81FB-4026-9717-CEDA1298C38E.jpeg

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

He used to have a spot next to us at the Chickasha swap meet years ago. He didn't have a lot of nice things to say about the "pickers".

loudbang, 51 mercules and Deuces like this.
  21. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I got the same feel from him. He is definitely an interesting guy. I always enjoy visiting with him.

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Even a rock out in he middle of the desert has history

23. I can't decide whether that was built as a dragster or as a doodlebug/field car buggy thing. o_O

I would have thought dragsters of that vintage would have used a factory frame from some donor, not 2x3 tube.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  24. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks somewhat like an old water pumper dune buggy from the pre VW days. Just need to weld 2 wheels together for rear wheel duallies. :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  25. I can't imagine that being allowed on any drag strip after about 1950.

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  26. Most B&M trannies had a B&M tag with serial number designating street or strip. My money is on a stock transplant from a 55 Olds and then adding the Offy for impact.

48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  27. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I’m trying to figure out what the triangular piece with the 2 pulleys and cables and the threaded bolt welded to it on top of the transmission is supposed to do.

Anyone got an idea???

28. may be for some sort of brakes to the rear end?

alanp561 likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quoted at the link below...

"Began campaigning a Model T rail with Olds V8 engine in A/Open Gas (body panels of corrugated roofing tin) & his mother's '55 Chevrolet in a stock class"

https://www.theautochannel.com/sports/pennrace/presskit/texan_fact_sheet.html

Perhaps there's a chance that Pennzoil has that vintage ad in its historical archives...worth an email or phonecall maybe...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Low-Blow, Max Gearhead and loudbang like this.