Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 4dr cars that look as good as 2dr version

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bbdakota, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Thank You Danny , appreciate your thoughts of my 33 ... D Mc

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Got Doors?
    [​IMG]

LOST ANGEL and Bbdakota like this.
  3. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

4. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

5. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I laughed out loud at this hahahaha. I could only imagine how savage that must be coming from a 12 year old on a bicycle.

Perhaps to answer the OPs question, there is no such thing as a 4 door that looks better than its 2 door counterpart. There are good looking 4 doors, but not that good.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  7. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm guessing that he will not forget it, either.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I really liked this little Chevy. CB88A60A-A9BF-4A96-9597-DAF5F0B43902_1_105_c.jpeg

skot71, Elcohaulic, mr57 and 3 others like this.
  9. slowmotion

slowmotion

The flat-top GM's of 59 & 60 were pretty snazzy. But for the most part, nope. :cool:

10. chriseakin

chriseakin

My parents switched to two-door from four-door after my oldest sister almost fell out of the car when the back door opened going around a tight curve. Good thing the latches on doors have improved.

11. toml24

toml24

1957 Ford 4-door Country Squire wagon. Ours.
    1957-ford country squire station wagon.jpg

12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Really depends on the car itself, the paint, wheels/tires, and a bunch of other variables, including the owner/driver. Used to be, I did't care for 4 doors at all, then it got to where I tolerated them. Then, I started to dislike them again, and then came around to them again. Now, there are some I'd specifically like in a 4 door, like my OT, drag/"old man's car". But, no matter what, they ALL have to be rather "plain Jane"! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. 150106'51F'line4d.jpg
    Those '49-52 Chevrolet 4door Fleetlines were neat.

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I wonder how many four (4) door cars would better as a two (2) door car.

Squablow likes this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-6_7-28-54.png
    Hello,

Our dad was a Buick fanatic. There were no other cars he ever considered from 1941 to his last Buick in 1982. As my brother and I were the backseat occupants, it was always a 4 door sedan for our daily drivers and long distance road trips. By the time several 2 door wagons came on the scene, Nomads in particular, we wanted our dad to get one. But, he did not like those Chevrolet products, other than our 58 Impala later in 1957. So, during the time, he always wanted a 4 door Buick sedan.

Then in 1957, he drove up with a blue 2 door Roadmaster sedan and was happy his car looked a little sporty, as big Buicks could.
    upload_2021-2-6_7-30-10.png upload_2021-2-6_7-30-24.png
    But, as the two brothers got bigger, we needed something cool that was larger for us in the back seat and have room for our surf stuff and camping gear. A 58 Impala was not going to cut it, so our choices were something cool with 4 doors. Yeow, 4 doors? Well, a few minor modifications and the cool looking 4 door could turn into a nice two door looking cruiser.
    upload_2021-2-6_7-35-58.png
    upload_2021-2-6_7-36-14.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/friday-art-show-7-31-20.1201190/#post-13687482

Jnaki
    Having liked 2 doors more than 4 doors, that was a style that will always stay with our history. But, having a son and granddaughter from babies to teens, a 4 door is so much better for access and no tired backs leaning in for securing safety stuff. Now, 4 doors can look like two doors with a little alterations. There are some 4 door designs that actually look better than the factory 2 door designs. YRMV

v8flat44 and Dave Mc like this.
  16. Got to admit, that Caballero is pretty slick, but look at the price. Yikes!

17. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    All of these more doors are pretty cool. I also think the suicide door T-birds are far better looking than their two door brethren.

18. Tim Walker

Tim Walker

I don't have a photo of one but The 1950 Chevy fleet line with all the timings was better looking then it two door brother. It looked longer and lower especially if it has all the sun visors on the side glass.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    buick bill likes this.
  19. My 4 door tub looks as good or better than other similar Fords
    [​IMG]

Baumi, Bbdakota and Dave Mc like this.
  20. My first 39 Ford tub, 37 Cord, and 40 Ford pickup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    Baumi and Dave Mc like this.
  21. Billy_Bottle_Caps

Billy_Bottle_Caps

22. I've always been a 2 door "snob" 'till I saw a nicely done slammed 52-54 ford 4 door sedan. Nothin special, just a green primered 54 with whitewalls, poverty hubcaps no outside handles. It was so simple yet sorta elegant.

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

4drs? I'm thinking Tucker, '29->'38 Convert Sedans - esp Stude, dbl esp in the Pres series.
    Also phaetons. Esp non-ford. Although, I gotta admit that some of the real early '0x->'10s Tourings - 2drs which didn't have the front doors, just rear doors, looked rather neat. Although you rarely see them rodded anymore. Last one I saw was ~ in the70's, too bad, too. & Dave Mc 4dr "C-400 Vicky" just flat rocks & gets it!.
    Marcus...

24. wvenfield

wvenfield

The 4 door looks really good as you get older and have to ride in the back seat and you don't have to climb over the front seat.

guthriesmith and Butler 32 like this.
  25. oldsman41

oldsman41

55-58 gm hardtops are okay 49-51 merc look good, model a thru 34 fords look okay. That’s it for me

26. KenC

KenC

Most of the mid 50s 4dr hardtops look good to my eye. But I do have a soft spot for the 'forward look' Mopar years. Big fins and all.

Bbdakota likes this.
  27. Slopok

Slopok

When I was young I wondered why in the world do they even make 4 doors? :confused:
    Now when I see that commercial that has the reclining chair that actually raises up to help you get out of it seems like a pretty good idea! o_O

guthriesmith likes this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-11-4_5-8-13.png
    Hello,

As we get older and have to deal with the pandemic, we look to other things to do to get by this blip in our history. We did it before when we were young, not wanting to get polio, small pox, etc. But, it is the ordinary things that make life easier for all of us.

We have two nice daily drivers and they are both paid off with ownership at 8 years old for my wife. Mine is 16 years old and still whomping on the local highways and streets. So, until one or the other breaks down for them to cost too much to fix, we have looked ahead to see what was available for the next level of driving enjoyment.

Ever since our granddaughter learned to drive and is now driving, we thought it would be fun to get another old car project, do what we want, to the design and power, etc. She would get a kick out of driving with us or even getting behind the wheel of an old hot rod. Besides, we found several custom car/hot rod places in the local So Cal areas that have a good reputation and would be able to service/repair any major things for us.

Our first choice was a 2 door 1940 Ford sedan with SBC power and a comfortable interior. But in looking at those that were available, perhaps a 4 door would be better for us old folks to get into the back seats. If our granddaughter has chosen to drive us around (CA DMV allowable with adult drivers) like a courtesy driver in “Driving Mrs. Nak…” Ha! That would be great. Those suicide doors would allow easier entry into the back seating area for us and even when we drive and she gets in the back.

Jnaki

The two door sedan is nice looking and we thought we would never like 4 door sedans, but the 1940 Ford 4 door just has enough to be cool and functional for us. Yes, SBC V8 power, A/C and a good view all around for us to focus our old tired eyes on the passing coast line and waves.

For all of the times when she was with us 4-5 days a week and was being transported all over So Cal, this would be a reversal of fortune for her and for us. Yes!
    upload_2021-11-4_5-16-27.png
    “Driving Mrs. Nak…” Plus, me, too. Ha!

woodscaper, Dave Mc and Bbdakota like this.
  29. Well, I have been a 2 door snob the majority of my life as well only seeing four doors as parts cars. But, the older I get, the more a four door seems reasonable especially when they can be had for better prices. My son just bought a four door Edsel as his daily and, even though it may not be as smooth looking as a 2 door, the roofline, etc. is similar and doesn’t seem as awkward as some body styles.

528BBC85-914D-4538-8010-A55F8525137E.jpeg

Dave Mc, williebill and Bbdakota like this.
  30. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I think when it comes to older 4dr. sedans, vs. 2dr. sedans there's not much that doesn't look as good to my eye. But I think by the mid 50's or later some 4drs. just aren't as appealing to me as 2drs. But I also think in the 30's and 40's when a coupe was available, there's just no comparison between any sedan and a coupe for me. I'll always take a coupe over any sedan.
    My old Austin is a 4 dr. sedan, and there's very little difference between it and the 2dr. version. But they didn't offer a coupe version, as it likely wasn't one anyone wanted back then?
    I removed the outside rear door handles, and welded the holes shut. Most people don't even notice it has two rear doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]