Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Falcons... Street/Strip cars..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuces, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Chicago Indoor Drags….proof shit was cooler back then… D8E49343-008A-4CD4-9511-9ABBDD025840.jpeg

2. loudbang

loudbang

3. loudbang

loudbang

4. This is just stupid. Falcons didn't run in A/FX Most were too old and there were wheelbase rules too. The 64's you saw were Southern match racers for the most part, which spun off of FX
    They wouldn't have little short slicks and be jacked up like street freaks either. Fuzzy dice worked real good for blocking out the tree on real race cars too. LOL B/G on everything must have gone out of style this year.
    Anybody building this type car should be required to read George Klass Remembers first.( This goes for a few posters too)

raven likes this.
  5. RmK57

RmK57

I thought there were a couple A/FX Falcons built in 65. Most of the A/FX's were built on the new Mustang platform though.

Thor1, Joe Travers, Mark Yac and 2 others like this.
  6. loudbang

loudbang

Deuces, oldiron 440 and 48fordnut like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

You did read the title of this thread
    Falcons... Street/Strip cars..

Scroll wheel on your mouse is your friend. :rolleyes:

Deuces, oldiron 440 and 48fordnut like this.
  8. Nope.. Some of your examples don't hold up either. The white post car is a modern day nostalgia car ..Same with Mike Thomas. The rest..Read here
    Section 21 Ford-Mercury Match Race Compacts
    With Match Racing in full swing, Factory Experimental cars, Super Stock cars, and just pure "cars with no specific class" were seen all over the nations drag strips. Unlike NHRA classes, match racing had very few rules so it was almost "anything goes". Wheelbases were altered, chassis were modified, engines used exotic fuels, and it was all good. These cars have been modified for one purpose only, and that is to be able to tour the country, get booked in to a match races as often as possible, have some fun, meet the fans and maybe, just maybe, make a little money. Very few of these cars were legal for NHRA's A/FX class. These were some of the wildest cars on the drag strips. Here are a few Ford and Mercury examples.

9. Of course I did ..That's why I said it was stupid. A/FX? Is it even an FE powered car? Very doubtful.

Quality over quantity, my friend

10. loudbang

loudbang

legal for NHRA's A/FX class.

Falcons... Street/Strip cars..

Deuces and oldiron 440 like this.
  11. jay t.

jay t.

12. RmK57

RmK57

13. Yes, there were..I should have said 60-63 Falcons, not in A/FX.
    Ford's involvement started with the 64 body style. It didn't last long either.
    I stand by my original comment on the 60-62, 3 ? car.
    https://www.motortrend.com/features/nhra-factory-experimental-drag-racing/

14. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

You raise a question that I've pondered occasionally over the past year, looking @ '63 drag cars. FoMoCo didn't campaign one in A/FX, as the whole incentive was to draw attention to the new models. Looking into independent entries, if there were any, w/ '63 bodies. It would have been a smart move, they were lighter. As far as the picture goes, nostalgia sanctioning bodies are allowing '62s to race under A/FX class, even though they aren't period correct.

Joe

Deuces, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  15. Joe I'm from Tasca Ford country originally and we would see their stuff before Ford Racing division adopted it. I remember the 1962 full size car and then 1963 Fairlane T bolt prototype car but never any Falcons. They jumped right into Mustangs next. I'm sure n h r a would have never bought into the early Falcons for fx classes.

16. RmK57

RmK57

In 1963 Ford was still into the Galaxie light weights for their racing program. 1964 saw the T-bolt but that was for S/S. I don't believe there was an A/FX class until 1965 and at only a couple Falcons built?
    and a few 65 Comets. Most of the A/FX glory went to the new Mustang. Not sure how many of them were built, I think around 6-8 Mustangs?

17. earlymopar

earlymopar

What a great shot and I have to say that I love the car name. "Quarter Master" was my rate (job) in the Navy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    loudbang, Joe Travers, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  18. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Makes sense. They would have had undue weight advantage over the other cars in the class. Only the more reason to run one now, if allowed.

Joe

Deuces, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  19. VTjunk

VTjunk

My 63, every bit a street/strip car. Old school 289, automatic, low 12s@110mph. received_578752640215599.jpeg

20. Nice. Are you sure you don't want to put a straight axle under it? ;)

21. RmK57

RmK57

Low 12's is quite respectable for a little 289. Nice car.

VTjunk, loudbang, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  22. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Love that little bird! Very cool :cool:

Joe

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    VTjunk, loudbang, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  23. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Love the quad headlight bezels in modified grille! I've never seen that one before. Would be a great mod for a street car, as well. Gives the little bird the '64 Comet look from this view.

Joe

Thor1, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  24. finn

finn

Anyone know what ever happened to the fiberglass skinned 64/65 Falcon campaigned by Dave Lyall in the mid to late sixties?

From what I recall , the car was based on the original fiberglass buck from the Ford design studios. Lyall somehow acquired it an ran it with, I think, a 427. He was a dyno operator for Ford in the Dearborn engine lab at the tome.

He later ran a Boss 429 in Pro stock for a while.

There were pictures somewhere in the past. ( could have been in this long thread and I missed them).

Edit: did a search on Dave Lyall here and came up with three pages of hits.

Guess I’ll be busy Sunday.

brEad, Thor1, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

26. loudbang

loudbang

Good find by Hot Rod Hoarder :)

27. RmK57

RmK57

Nice story. Safe to say he's a Ford guy.

Deuces, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang

loudbang

29. loudbang

loudbang

30. loudbang

loudbang