Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keeping mice out of your collector car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Oct 28, 2021.

1. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Irish Spring soap and Bounce dryer sheets may work for a short period while their smell is still strong, but as the odor fades away the mice will come back. I've seen mice chew on the soap, and make nests out of the dryer sheets.

egads, Fitty Toomuch, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  2. Yup, I switched from dyer sheets to little tree air fresheners. Stronger scent and they last longer. Seems to be working so far.
    Baited traps seem to attract more mice into the garage.......I do use the bucket traps in my other out buildings though. They do work.

Deuces and bchctybob like this.
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Well, if you have a rat problem (might work for mice
    yep, have that for rats on a pipe with PVC split Never thought to bait the bastards though. Thanks. :)

4. Budget36

Budget36

I bet a well placed pan of antifreeze would take care of some things;). Not that I’d advocate such a thing. Just saying.
    Here kitty kitty…

bchctybob likes this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A bucket with a plastic bottle on a piece of welding rod like Sidevalve8BA showed in post 28 is the best mouse trap. Stop and snag a plastic bucket someone had blow out of their truck and pick up a jar of peanutbutter at dollar tree or use the tail end of the jar from the kitchen as a dedicated bait source and put a few inches of water in the bucket. You have to remember to check and dump it pretty often though as if you leave it for a few days it stinks when you get a few dead mice in it.
    Don't waste your money on those Grandpa Gus packets on FB they don't work at all or they don't work on the mice here.

Deuces likes this.
  6. I’ve found that if I put peanut butter on the wife's floor mats the mice leave my car alone

R A Wrench, blowby, Budget36 and 6 others like this.
  7. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

thats what i was talking about . just didnt know the right name .mom says they work !

8. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

You are right our MN winters are to long, 1 year a mouse built a nest on top of the dryer sheet, last year for dryer sheets for me. Now I keep 4 or 5 mouse traps loaded and set at all times, and when I get a mouse dump it and reset for the next one.

9. I use a bucket trap in the garage and a product called fresh cab in the cars, i can’t say it works but i’ve never seen a mouse nest built with it like i have with dryer sheets and Irish spring soap
    image.jpg

10. These bucket traps are serial killers! Mass murderers!
    image.jpg

11. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im building the 5 gal bucket soda bottle tomorrow .looks like grt. fun for the whole family !!

12. rladams65

rladams65

I have had them work ... But the ones that work are the ones you can hear. About the size of a shoe box. I have not had luck with the ones that are barely audible to humans - about the size of a large phone charger. Maybe I needed to deploy more of them.

13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you put antifreeze in the bucket you don’t have to empty the dead mice out very often - they get pickled.

John

2Blue2, scotty t, Bugguts and 4 others like this.
  14. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve tried a variety of things mentioned to keep mice out of cars without success. I’m taking the advice of @jnaki and getting me some of those electric doodads.

The trap described by @sidevalve8ba works great to reduce the mouse numbers.

John

scotty t and jnaki like this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Will have to try the 5 gal. bucket trick. I don't have any pop bottles, I don't drink that sh&t. Will adapt and over come. Maybe a can of some kind should work.

Speaking of cans, I keep a couple of soup cans over the exhaust to keep critters from setting up shop inside the muffler over the winter. I almost always forget these when I start it up for whatever reason. They make a hell of a racket when they launch into the garage door, reminding me.

scotty t and Deuces like this.
  16. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Dryer sheets lose their scent very quickly, then become bedding for the rats.

17. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

if you use the sticky traps make damn sure they are attached to something much heavier than the rat. Maybe a piece of 2x6 a foot long. If you don't when the rat gets stuck he will flip around and you will have hair and blood and sticky stuff all over your garage.

scotty t, Cosmo49 and Packrat like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

LMAO! That’s like the two guys in the forest. “I don’t have to out run the bear, I just have to out run you “

19. j hansen

j hansen

According to the "net",they must be changed every 14 days.

Deuces likes this.
  20. j hansen

j hansen

This is from 1 bucket,,,,,I have 14 of them.
    If you are sensitive,,,,,,do not look:eek: IMG_6888.jpeg

21. Deuces

Deuces

:D:mad::D
    Nice job!.....:)

j hansen likes this.
  22. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

That's what just happened to me. He sure stunk it up after he died from ingesting the soap.

23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

R A Wrench likes this.
  24. For 20 plus years this was my main deterrent in the garage...

20170101_114449.jpg

Unfortunately she didnt come home one night.. SIGH

25. i was working on the wiring, then i looked under the seat (trying to trace the taillights that i still cant get to come on) and i saw him, a mouse under my seat. i quickly opened all the doors and yelled at it until i was decently sure it was gone. then i got the irish spring and put one in the glovebox, one in the trunk, and one under the seat. i dont like mice.

Deuces likes this.
  26. Well if several cops can't control the mice you might need to get a bobcat or a Tazmanian devil!
    :eek:

Deuces likes this.
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Same thing happened to me.....:(

scotty t likes this.
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Get yourself a gun totin' cat like I did....:D;)

29. we have one, shes just lazy. my grandma has turned her into a couch potato : P

Deuces likes this.