Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Pontiac 860 gasser build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Red Rock Chieftain, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Build Thread
    This thread is intended to outline the building of a 1956 Pontiac 860 2 door sedan gasser. The 860 model was a stripped down version of the Chieftain, to the best of my knowledge.

WHY? I have always fooled with cars and anything else that would rattle, make noise and move me around the yard, down the track or the highway. With the ebb and flow of time I had wandered away from cars a bit, just busy with life. Things settled down down a couple years ago and I found myself nosing around craigslist looking for something that would potentially scar my knuckles and consume my mind again. It was also about this time I ran across a thread on the internet about this new SEGA deal. After looking on line at some of the SEGA cars I was smitten. This sealed the intent of my search for my next build.
    I have to admit in the beginning I envisioned the grandeur of racing again, but did the math on my other obligations and just don't think I can make the ends meet (hopefully I can make an event in the car in the future). I will however take this opportunity to say that I like what Quain Stott and the gang at SEGA are doing, from all I have read the whole crew, racers, fans and all are a stand out bunch of individuals. I like the strict rules and the fact that they stick to'em,. Those of you that have raced probably appreciate that and know that racers are their own worst enemy.
    I like rules racing where you have to out think and out work the next guy or gal. I am not throwing rocks at the elite of the sport or what it takes to perform at that level but I get just as excited seeing the average guy or gal win because they hustled and squeezed the last ounce out of their endeavor. I think it exemplifies the American way.

Credit where Credit is due...
    I had someone tell me one time; "son if you think knowledge is expensive try ignorance" That stuck with me... With that said I will go ahead and acknowledge now, I have read everything on the h.a.m.b and anything else I could find on gasser builds. I also have bought every book that is remotely related to the subject to hedge my effort in this build. I tried specifically to find as much information as I could on building a Pontiac gasser. The fist lesson, and I found this out pretty quick, not much of anything on a Pontiac correlates to a Tri-five Chevy; doors, trunk lid and glass withstanding. So thanks in advance to the folks that have taken the time to post their builds on here (especially the Pontiac folks) I have taken a little of each your ideas. and will apply them to this effort.

Share the knowledge...
    In tracking this build, it is my intention to share as much of how I do this and as many P/N's as I can. So far I have found, just figuring out what steering box, axles, spindles, front leaf springs, shackle location, blah, blah, blah to be the hardest part to getting off of dead center. In sharing I am hoping to help someone else and maybe make a few friends along the way and carry our hobby a little further down the road.

What stage of the build am I at now?
    The car rest quietly in my shop, still mostly assembled. I was fortunate enough to find a 57 Pontiac frame which has the desirable and period correct 9.3" ring gear rear end. These rear ends (57-64 BOP) were used in these type builds back in the day. I am using the 57 frame as the foundation for the build. The intent is to finish the frame build completely, roll the old frame out and the new one under.

Build Direction.
    I intend to build this car as period correct as I can for a pre to early 60's hot rod.
    The engine in the car has a lot to do with the format of the build as I found and purchased a 56 Pontiac factory experimental dual quad intake (built for Nascar). I also have the correct carburetors for it as well. Stay tuned on this as there a lot of factors and parts that have to check out ok to be used.
    The hardest things to find so far have been, believe it or not the clutch pedal and bellhousing, only o few of these cars were built with standard transmissions. However I have both in hand now. For those that are not aware the earliest bellhousing that will work is a 58 model.

Finally before we proceed further I am going to admit; I am a virgin Pontiac owner. this car is the very first Pontiac I have ever owned and I am no youngster. I still am at heart though, my wife will take the occasion every once in a while to tell me to grow up.

Onward
    I will be loading pictures of the work I have completed so far.
    • I have the frame mounted on the jig.
    • I've straightened and squared the frame as it was tweaked slightly. Interesting to note: in squaring the chassis I found out that the locating pins in the factory rear leaf springs did not match, and the rear end in the car was 1/2" out of square. This will be rectified when I replace the rear leafs.
    • I have removed the front frame section and fit the new frame rails (tacked only)
    • Stay Tuned...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  2. This will be interesting ..Love the idea of the 56 dual quads.
    Whatever you do, don't put modern wheels on it.
    If you have any questions on that, refer to the SEGA rule book to see what's real and what's bogus.
    If you're using a stock bell housing, you'll need to form up a shield around it to be period correct.

3. Thanks for the feedback. I am on the hunt for the right wheels already. I have all the SEGA stuff saved on my PC. You are right about the stock bellhousing I just bought one 2 weeks ago, I also bought a stock flywheel so I could get the ring gear, because the ring gear is not made anymore. Through the folks at Fabcraft Metalworks I got connected to a guy that is building me a billet flywheel. I will also fab bellhousing cover as well. I have seen the aftermath of failed flywheels, uuugly. Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  4. sidewayzz69

sidewayzz69

I am a huge fan of gassers. That is gonna be one cool ride.

loudbang and Red Rock Chieftain like this.

5. Did you ever find the clutch pedal assembly you were looking for? I might still have the crazy bits that went through the frame and such from the old '56 chieftain I had several years back...I should probably locate it before I start shooting off at the mouth!

I just have a soft spot in my heart for the old 56 pontiacs...I miss mine terribly and wish I hadn't traded it off for a '53 Ford (sigh)

loudbang likes this.
  6. I did find the clutch pedal, it came out of a 56 model hearse that had a 3 speed on the column (what a great way to take that last ride...). However none of the linkages were there. The pedal was just lying in the floor board of the car. I really don't know what all will work with this. I have pondered everything from GMC truck stuff to fabricated stuff. In order to mate a later model standard transmission to the 56 block I had to use a 58 bellhousing. The 58 bellhousing is the earliest that will accept a late model bolt pattern transmission. I found the bellhousing 2 weeks ago and in pristine condition. I will post some pics of the bellhousing in the next day or so. With all that said I would entertain any available parts to get this old girl going

Attached Files:

hillbilly, Crusty Chevy and loudbang like this.
  7. We have a 56 850 2dr wagon. This should be a fun car for you. Where are you located at? I could use the rear legs off the x-member from the extra frame your going to have when you do the switch out. Mine are pretty bad. Keep me in mind.

8. I'm in the midwest, I ran across this while looking for parts for my car, looks like a great deal. I would be glad to look at it for you if you're interested. https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/d/yukon-1956-pontiac-safari-rolling/7396498029.html

Crusty Chevy and loudbang like this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First, I really like what you are going to build.

The dual quad set option on GM Chevrolet and Pontiac, Mopars Dodges and Chrysler’s, Ford and Mercury’s were made for law enforcement and NASCAR, none were really experimental just the first time for factory available dual quads, but typically the public got there hands on them.

Vic Edelbrock was making manifolds already in 54.

GMs and Mopars were available stock on the cars when ordered. There is an estimate of 200 built by Pontiac and all had Rochester Carbs from what I’ve read. The Pontiac used the batwing style air cleaner on the non NASCAR as Purolator air cleaners were mandated in NASCAR for the first time.

The 56 316”was advertised with 285 hp which was third to the 56 Chrysler 300B hemi’s and Dodge D-500 hemi’s. Ford and Mercury’s were over the dealership parts counter only and 260 hp.

Chrysler dominated the 1956 NASCAR season with Ford, Dodge, and Chevrolet behind with no Pontiac’s winning in the top Grand National division. It’s written that more of the ended up on the drag strips across the country.

I believe GM’s were the only large base carbs. I found photos of the Pontiac set up when researching the air filters used in NASCAR and never found a photo with a Purolator air cleaner.

Ford/Mercury made a total of 103 dual quad kits for all uses even installed on Thunderbirds. Less than 1/2 had the Purolator air cleaner. Ford/Mercury Purolator was different than all the rest and one is on my Y-Block dual quad 56 Ford Victoria.

Chevrolet had the most because of the Corvette. All Chrysler 300 B’s had dual quads and the Dodge was called the D-500 and no real numbers can be determined.

Keep us informed as I will follow for sure. The photo is the F/M Purolator filter with Merc Carter WCFB’s and not the Holley 4000’s used on the Fords. DEC87049-D85C-4A03-8132-3B462D86C747.jpeg

Crusty Chevy and loudbang like this.
  10. Wow, thanks. Its a 14 hour drive, one way. Gonna think long and hard on this one.

EDIT: I had him send me some more pics, the x-member is in rough shape and been welded on in an ugly kind of way. He got the car from someone who got it 10 years ago and quit on the build. Reading between the lines and looking at the photos he basically has the body going on a new chassis because this one shot.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  11. Hmmm...my old chieftain wound up in Oklahoma from what I heard.

It had a quickie "get her done so you can drive her" swap done, kept the 316 in the corner of yhe garage but dropped in a 350/'glide on a cheesy cradle mount and equally as cheesy trans mount, left the clutch pedal in because I intended to go back and do things the right way.

The rods and bellcrank stuff still might be in the carport but not sure, there's one end piece of the grille that goes on the fender for sure.

I had to do the '58 GMC bell thing in it after I moved back from TN in '04, the original 3spd lost about 4 teeth off 2nd gear, i tore that down and ground 2nd gear ring into a spacer, only had reverse, 1st, and 3rd for a couple years til I did the bell/3spd muncie w o/d swap.

I miss the car and wish I'd never traded it off...lol I sound like a broken record I know...

only pic on this phone is from a long-since-abandoned HAMB post about what if our cars were...well...on the Cars movie. LoL

If I can find the clutch bits I will get an addy and send 'em your way if you still need/want them.

Attached Files:

jimmy six and loudbang like this.