Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keeping mice out of your collector car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Oct 28, 2021.

1. Good video/idea on keeping mice out of your car this winter.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Easy enough and cheap. rhanks for sharing.

3. For those of you who want to just cut to the chase. Basically what he does is use Irish Spring soap and a cheese grater to make tiny chips. He puts them in a cup several cops under the hood. He also sprinkles some of the Irish Spring soap gratings on the floor of the car. Much easier to clean up in the spring time than mouse nests and damage

Squablow and belair like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I always thought just put a BBC in it. A Rat will eat a Mouse. ;)

5. Cats are a good deterrent.Chickens are excellent at keeping spiders and snakes away.I have 3 old cars that sit outside.About two years ago we decided to get rid of our chickens big mistake all three of my cars are infested with brown recluse spiders.

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice description of a simple procedure. The car will smell like someone is taking a shower in a locker room. The small chips on carpet and trunk will make the whole area hard to get "Air Fresh." Some people like the "locker room" smell, but in the long run, it will stay inside of the car for quite some time. Since the windows will be up and everything locked up, it will create a locked chamber. The extra work and locker room smell is not worth the weekly effort.

As discussed in earlier forum posts, we have used all sorts of ways to keep our garage and home vermin free. We have found out over the many years and many homes that the electronic ultrasonic units to keep the vermin away. It is just a plug in any electric socket and within reach of the socket, waves of electric unknown to us, keeps the mice and other things away. Lizards? It depends on what kind and how large as to how well those electronic devices work.

We do not have any mice or other creatures crawling over our roof, garage or other attic spaces due to the usage of the electronic plug in devices. The devices do not harm little dogs, but do a great job of not hearing little feet running across the attic or roof. Those pesky raccoons or opossums that we have seen in neighborhoods, but not in our house or yard. The devices are indoor use, but if there is a weather protected outlet free from moisture or storms, it does keep sending signals out, away from the general area.

Jnaki

Our neighbor has problems with mice and raccoons getting on his roof, attacking his fruit trees and generally digging up his back yard looking for food. I told him about the ultrasonic devices and he just does not want those in his house or garage. He sets out traps constantly and sometimes, there is a mess on clean up days with little eyes staring back at him.

He has an old car sitting in his garage, covered, but has to do maintenance on removal of small crapola and actual squashed mice out of the covered car. It is a convertible with a non-working top. If he forgets for a week or so, the smell tells him something is necessary.

We all have our own ways to deal with the natural invasion of stuff into our garages and homes. Some have difficulties and others live to enjoy another day, without the smell and sound of little feet scurrying all over the place. Besides, those devices give off a minute, lighted glow for darkened garage/house night light safety, too. YRMV

7. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

I've found that a couple of barn cats does the job

8. Budget36

Budget36

So those plug in devices actually work? Care to share the brand name you use?

I’d get a dozen of them if they are as good as you are making them out to be.

richards69impala and Stogy like this.
  9. Budget36

Budget36

And the smell of cat shit and…

richards69impala, bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  10. buick bill

buick bill
    from yreka;ca

im doing battle daily . worst year ever . droughts and fires have drove everything in .squirrels ,no offence jim , mice ,goffers ,racoons, rats , rabbits . its never been like this in 20 yrs. my mother says fabric softeners tied on wires under the hood will keep mice out ?

Stogy likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

They work well, for us...

Hello,

Over the years of three different houses, from 60 years old to brand new, these devices work. The older ones were just the beginning and the new technology is much better. Your choice will depend on how much and how many you want. Amazon has a ton of companies that offer good ones.
    upload_2021-10-28_5-17-22.png
    We bought the first edition version. The little blue light was nice in the darkened room/garage. Now we will be getting the 2020 version soon as the we want to keep the frequencies and technology up to date.

There are other brands that do the same, it is up to the buyer to see which ones will fit the decor or location. A small outlet with limited space and usage might want the smallest physical size ultrasonic device to plug in place. We park our daily drivers windows up and never had any problems with any invasions. There are no mice droppings anywhere in the house or garage.

They do live in the far reaches of the yard, but we will give them that space, as long as they don't do any damage. We have some outdoor weather proof plug locations ready if necessary. So far for twenty years, no problem and quiet sound sleep at night. We chose those white units because they are white, look like the contemporary paint wall color and look nice. They work well, so far. Electric outlets in the attic also have some different ones in usage.

Jnaki

Perhaps, next year, we will get different ones to throw in some new frequencies at the empty spaces, as we still have empty wall outlets in the garage, house and yard. I haven't had to clean up bulging eyes or smell forgotten traps, or even worry about those yellow funny boxes with oatmeal looking poison being ingested by our little dog or neighbor's dogs. But, YRMV

Note: We live in a city, but in the outskirts and up in the hills. So we are up against an empty, barren brush area laden with creatures. These work for everyone that likes no hassle situations. The brush areas are so close that fire insurance goes up yearly. But, that is what we live with for peace and serenity.

richards69impala, Stogy and Budget36 like this.
  12. Oilguy

Oilguy

I no longer cover my cars during winter storage as mice like dark areas to hang out in. The hoods and trunk lids are left open. I also place steel wool in the tail pipes until Spring time. Seems to work fine.

bchctybob, J. A. Miller and Stogy like this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Due to the fact that we live in a dry brush area with coyotes and other animals, big and small, do snakes hear the ultrasonic devices? Our neighbor that was mentioned previously has snakes in his backyard almost every year. But, for some reason with our ultrasonic devices going full power everyday, we have never had any snakes come into our yard. Our little attack dog would go crazy at sighting one when he wanders around.

A little lizard scurries right to the garage door jam, but we have never seen him inside to scare the daylights out of my wife. There are larger 12" total tail length, Alligator lizards in both yards, but not in our house or garage. So, can those ultrasonic devices work against lizard brains? And their relatives, the snakes? They must...

Jnaki
    Things we do to keep the peace in our relationships since 1966. Again, YRMV

bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  14. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I just move their cheese....

Stogy likes this.
  15. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

When I lived in MI. I had plenty of mouse troubles. Tired all the above remedies. Electronic devices, Irish Spring, peppermint oil. Nothing worked for me. Only thing that kinda controlled them was the neighbors cat that would sit at the corner of the garage and do his thing. Entertaining too. When I moved here to AZ. that problem stopped. Nothing seems to wander in the garage. Did have to fix chewed wiring on my DD once but it sits outside.

richards69impala and Stogy like this.
  16. Surprised no one has said dryer sheets yet. It was all the rage 5-7 years ago.

williebill and Stogy like this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

^^^^^That's what I had heard too. Seems a brand name dryer sheet was touted as being the one that worked....not generic brands. Was it "Bounce" dryer sheets that were the brand that was supposed to be the best?

Lynn

Stogy likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They were mentioned...

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Around here, there are two types of folks. Those that have seen brown recluses in their house and those that will see them. My wife was bitten by one a few years back. Nasty little boogers.

richards69impala and X-cpe like this.
  20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

^^^Yep, Bounce brand sheets have done the trick for me for many years. (That being said, it works for the breed of mice and rats here. Different regions/breeds may be different?). I get a 4 pack of large boxes at Costco fairly cheap. Use them on all the daily drivers. Simply tie them to your under hood wiring with a quick half hitch and shove them into corners behind the headlights, battery, etc. Change them out every couple months-clip the old ones out with a wire cutter. I've tried everything over the years. Irish Spring may work in his case for cold Winter, non driving storage, but be forewarned that Irish Spring melts like wax when it gets hot including an un air conditioned garage in the Summer. I used some slices of it under hood on a DD. It quickly melted from being parked outside in the Summer and from under hood engine heat. It melts to an oily wax and will even drip. It stained inner fenderwell paint. Can't imagine trying to get it out of carpet.

21. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Live in the country so keep decon or its generic equal under weighted down milk crate boxes in all 4 corners of the out buildings. "Keeps any pets away from it"
    I cut the lawn short in fall, the time of year when they want to move in, the "Eagles snd Hawks have a better view"
    Also before bringing a new project in, it sets outside about 2-3 weeks with decon in before bring it in the building. This truck didn't smell like it had any squaters, but kept it out side for about a month anyways and the decon looks untouched.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  22. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Be cautious of the Irish Spring, mice will actually eat it but since they can’t digest it they basically swell up and explode. The dryer sheets seem to work well, also if you can keep a fan blowing under the car it helps with condensation and mice don’t like the turbulence it creates and will avoid the area. I’ll try to electronic device too, been considering those before.

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've never had a mouse infestation, or even seen any droppings in my shop and garage. But I always worry it might happen someday! Not sure I want to sprinkle Irish Spring shavings all over my carpets, but I am going to do the cup thing, and enough of them that I think it will discourage them if I ever do get mice in my shop.

24. j hansen

j hansen

Could not find them in Sweden,ordered from USA.
    Acording to the "net" this is good stuff against mice.
    I really hope so:) Skärmavbild 2021-10-28 kl. 18.24.31.png

25. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Mice like to build a nest in the glove box of my old ford truck that sits outside.
    I tried the dryer sheet trick there. It used it for part of it`s nest:rolleyes:

57Custom300 and egads like this.
  26. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

A couple rubber snakes throw around the car.

richards69impala likes this.
  27. Pav8427

Pav8427

Have no critters invading my OT H/O.
    I keep a Vanilla scented tree in it. Even no sign of them when it was parked in the barn for ten years.
    Trapped 2 in my wifes Jeep just last week.
    Smells better than soap and dryer sheets too.

richards69impala and RMR&C like this.
  28. mouse trap.gif

This mouse trap works better than any I have seen. Bait it by smearing peanut butter on the pop bottle. Put a couple of inches of water in the bucket. The mice fall in the bucket and drown. End of story.

29. Deuces

Deuces

I got a better idea.... I buy my cat plenty of amo... 7.62 X 39.0 mm nato rounds.... cat-shooting.gif

2Blue2, R A Wrench, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  30. bchctybob

bchctybob

Our nearest neighbor thinks cats are the answer to her mouse problem so she usually has at least three outdoor cats. She still has mice because the cats are too busy down at my place pissin’ sh!ting and spraying on everything to chase mice at home. And, she has raccoons because she leaves cat food out. When one of her kitties got itself stuck in my evap cooler I got it out and invited her to come over anytime to clean the cat piss off of my Halibrands. I can’t work with the shop doors open because one of her cats may get in and go upstairs. When they get trapped in the shop, they trash the place. The good thing is she is keeping our local coyotes well fed, they love cats.
    I don’t eat in my shop or leave any uncovered water, and when I do see evidence of mice a conventional spring trap with peanut butter usually gets them. Our biggest problem is mice getting into the family truckster. I might try his Irish Spring in a cup trick.

Budget36 and Deuces like this.