Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fly in, Drive home in my late Dads car. Attempting 2000 miles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Exactly!

There's not much I can add here, except thank you for taking us along on your journey. It has been rewarding watching from my armchair as you take the trip . Hooray for the Corvair! They continue to prove Bill Mitchell's vision.

I can say this narrative has significantly prodded me to quit working on my projects forever in search of perfection, and to instead get something to completion so I can enjoy it with my family. I struggle with loving to build something more than loving to drive it, but that is self-serving. It's time to get one back on the road!

Jet96, Hnstray, Blues4U and 11 others like this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll add my congratulations to the rest. There is a somewhat old-fashioned but highly applicable term for you: intrepid. Your intrepidity is an inspiration to those of us who have not (yet) done what you have done. Now give the car to your son and tell him to get a turbo back on it, stat!

HeavyRoller, Lil32, Nostrebor and 5 others like this.
  3. LAROKE

LAROKE

Tools and parts you carry act as talismans - whatever you're carrying, you won't need.

When I made my first cross-country road trip in my '55 Chevy pickup, it turned into a 23 day, 4,783 mile adventure in a 52 year old stock truck. Like you, I had many following my progress and I blogged it every night. At the end, my friend, Rob English wrote "I suppose there are two things that can happen on a trip like you did; you can say 'never again' or you can say 'I can’t wait for the next one'". Me? I can't wait for the next one.

The original purpose of using backroads was because I was not comfortable with Interstate highway travel in BillyBob. Now I know that the old truck does quite well on the Interstate and that is no longer a concern. I am glad, however, that I stuck to backroads for most of the trip. A foreign fella that I often contend with on political issues once posted a query "What's great about America?". He was trying to stir things up and he did. I don't recall if I responded to that question or not. I do know part of the answer now. I saw it on the two lane blacktop roads of the Appalachian range. I want to see more.

Thanx for the ride along

4. little red 50

little red 50

Thanks for the ride! Sorry about your dad. Stuff like this is the best part of the hamb. Better than any tv show.

Lepus, Lil32, wandi harry and 6 others like this.
  5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Thank you for taking us along your travels. Sorry to hear about your pop's. He was definately smiling down on you.

6. vinfab

vinfab

As others have said, I am sorry for your loss and thank you for the ride along. I firmly believe your Father would be pleased with your effort and the road trip home in his Corvair. I also think he would enjoy the fact that you chronicled the prep and journey and shared it a large audience from the HAMB who have been rooting for you to have a safe and uneventful (mostly) trip.

7. SS327

SS327

Now at the end of this adventure I feel I owe you an apology. I stowed away on this trip like so many and had a great time. While you were mourning your father. Due to my own selfishness I never considered all the reasons you may have had for doing this trip the way you did and I feel I owe you an apology. I’m sorry for just inviting my self along for what was on some level a highly personal trip. In my defense I only wanted to see you succeed and not break down. I will leave you alone to your thoughts now. And I am sorry for your dads passing.

Hemi Joel, Blues4U, jeepster and 7 others like this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Joel.Thank you Sir for a great ride along.The posting of the song"Sentimental Journey"brought
    some great memories of my Dad,as that was one of his favorite songs.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. I'm glad to see that you've come to this realization on your own. A few other members of the HAMB have discovered this as well.

The quote "Perfection Is The Enemy Of Progress" is usually attributed to Winston Churchill.

Hemi Joel, carpok, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Was going to mention this, I like the technical aspects and learning how things work, and getting things to work as advertised, Tune-Ups and preventive maintenance, all that stuff but that is just a means to an end - highway trips, back roads, even trails, are what it's all about. The open road, it's a beautiful country and there's nothing like seeing it from up close and personal.

Hemi Joel, Blues4U, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  11. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Congrats Joel on a fine trip and thanks so much for sharing it with us!

mario711, Hemi Joel, loudbang and 7 others like this.
  12. Daddy_O

Daddy_O

Well done, mission accomplished!!!! Thank you for taking us along on your adventure!!!

mario711, Hemi Joel, loudbang and 6 others like this.
  13. scoop

scoop

Thanks Joel,glad you made it home safe and with no major problems. Makes me want to take a road trip, but it wouldn't have the same meaning as yours.

Hemi Joel, Blues4U, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  14. What?? No! Get back in the car and hit the road! I was enjoying our, well, your trip! Now it feels like my vacation is over and I have to go back to work :( give me a yell when we're ready to hit the road again :D glad you made it home safe buddy

61Cruiser, Hemi Joel, Blues4U and 6 others like this.
  15. Thanks for the ride! I'm sure your Dad enjoyed it too!

16. Thanks for the ride along, it was fun !

17. What a great end to the road trip. Couldn't be a better way to bring your dad back home with you.

18. sololobo

sololobo

Thanx for a great trip, you paid proper respects to your great Father.

Hemi Joel, Blues4U, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  19. hudson48

hudson48

Thanks for letting me tag along on an epic journey. Inspires me to come back to USA again and do a road trip again as soon as travel is allowed from here.

20. SS Pete

SS Pete

JOEL, you did it! followed every day. hope DAD enjoyed the the trip. you proved that "white elephants" do well in the hands of real mechanics. DAD was also a big help. I drove a 5.7 OLDS diesel for 15 years . knowing the inherent problems helps.. watch out for the pm's coming in for advice. BTW, for the naysayers, trucks, trailers, tow bars, and 18 wheelers ALL BREAK DOWN !!! Ask me how I know. Enjoy sleeping in your own bed,Pete.

21. Seen this, this morning...

20211030_082051.jpg

,Dont see them to often, Looked like original paint even...

22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Well it looks like my concerns were misplaced and you and Squirrel and a bunch of others were right. Glad the trip went so well for you!:)

23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Thanks for all the replies and kind words! I never thought this thread would get so much traction, but it's really nice to see the enthusiasm. I was actually unsure if this would be an acceptable topic, so I emailed Ryan prior to posting it to see what he thought and he gave it his blessing. I guess he knows better than I do!
    Now I've been back in the real world and spent 2 days back at work at the roofing company. And I'm working in the shop today on my wife's daily driver. I have lots of catching up to do. Cars need to get made ready for winter storage, things need to get fixed, and I need to get back to some of my projects. Meanwhile, my wife is driving the Corvair to go visit some relatives. She really digs it which is great!
    Also we're busy planning a funeral.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    WC145, Jet96, winduptoy and 20 others like this.
  24. squirrel

squirrel

Now, you're gonna have to drive your coupe to Drag Week next year.

25. This is by FAR one of the best threads as of late......I've read the whole thing twice now. Glad you made it back and had such a good time. With all the documentation I felt like I was there also, can't think you enough for the ride :D.

26. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The thought crossed my mind. I would have to be considerably better prepared than I was this year. I'd have to find a way to haul some tires.

winduptoy, HeavyRoller, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  27. ANd that is why you have a chase car... HINT HINT the son that couldnt make the trip to AZ for drive back ;);)

HeavyRoller, Lil32 and Hemi Joel like this.
  28. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Except that "chase cars" and support vehicles are not allowed, per official Drag Week rules:

"NO TRAILERS, NO SUPPORT VEHICLES •Vehicles in competition may not be led or followed at any distance by support vehicles of any kind. A support vehicle is one used to supply, or with the intent of supplying, any rescue efforts or to carry anything for a competitor, including luggage, tools, fuel, repair parts or spares, and helpers or crew. Support vehicles towing just-in-case trailers are not allowed. •Racers may not be followed by motorhomes for overnight accommodations. •All vehicles must be driven under their own power during the entire Drag Week competition and may not be towed, trailered, pushed, or hauled at any time. The exception is in the event of an emergency in which a vehicle needs to be removed from the roadway or other dangerous situation, in which case assistance may be used to move the car a short distance to a safe area, for example, to the next highway exit. •A Drag Week phone number will be supplied to participants. If an entrant wishes to forfeit the competition by loading the vehicle on a trailer or otherwise enlisting an illegal support vehicle, the number must be called to immediately notify the staff of the forfeiture. •Violation of the support-vehicle and crew rules is cause for immediate disqualification at the race director’s discretion."

(Copied from the 2021 Drag Week rules PDF - downloadable from hotrod.com)

29. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Chase car isn't allowed in Drag Week!

Hemi Joel and loudbang like this.
  30. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, it's a pain with a coupe. That's one reason I built something bigger....

winduptoy, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 3 others like this.