Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Fly in, Drive home in my late Dads car. Attempting 2000 miles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Oct 10, 2021.

1. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

Great story!!
    Would not have been nearly as good if it was a narrative about you following a trailer carrying your car. Thanks for bringing us along.

Driver50x, Blues4U, winduptoy and 8 others like this.
  2. spanners

spanners

Tomorrow you will get out of bed, take a look at the car and think to yourself "Self, I don't know what the fuss was about. That trip was a piece of piss. "
    Glad you're home safely.

3. Bravo, Hemi Joel, and welcome home. Thanks for a wonderful trip and bringing us all along.

4. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great ending to an amazing cross country journey !
    The intrepid Corvair of your fathers, was a true magic carpet !
    Thanks for allowing all of us, to ride along with you !

pegasus flag saved (2).jpg
    IMG_0328 (2).JPG

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    tommyd, Hamtown Al, winduptoy and 7 others like this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

Bones

tommyd, Blues4U, winduptoy and 6 others like this.
  6. One of my coworkers just inherited her father's 63 (or is it a 64) Corsa Spyder ragtop, but she's more into dirt bikes (has 8 of them) and got rid of a MGB because she couldn't spend time/money to keep it up. If I show her this story maybe she'd keep the 'vair; then again, there's so much drama with her siblings and the way the estate was divvyed up, along with lack of storage space, that she may decide to get rid of it. Sad, especially since it still has the turbo.

Hamtown Al, winduptoy, 1low52 and 7 others like this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early on in this thread I had a hunch that Corvair would get you back home with no problems. I'm glad you were able to do it, thanks for taking us all along.

8. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Great trip and celebration/honor of your Dads life. Glad you and the little Corvair made it home safely, it can keep company with the Hemi cars now. Thanks for all the trip and prep reports it was an interesting read, even the pepper laced apple pie.

9. DRD57

DRD57

I agree, there’s nothing like a cross country trip in an old car. Thanks for taking us along.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I told you so... well done!

11. Lil32

Lil32

welcome home from Aussie
    thanks for the trip

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing the journey @Hemi Joel...I don't get out in a worldly way much and it's always nice to see the sites especially when there's an old car in it...

What an unforgettable emotional miles-stone...a mechanical thrash...you sure made it look easy...that was some serious work involved but I know you're a hands on Gearhead and a fierce competitor...Congratulations on the well deserved rewards...and thoughts again to you and all the others out there that have recently lost their fathers...

TFoch, Johnboy34, tommyd and 9 others like this.
  13. carpok

carpok
    from Indy

Glad you had a safe trip always such a good feeling to be home. You suddenly remember what your life is all about it’s a hard lump in the throat with the emotions of being home.
    Something you said about you wander why you didn’t do it when your dad was still around. I think that tugs at all of us who have lost loved ones. It’s a real emotion that keeps us grounded and trying to do the right thing. Sometimes spending hours looking through the windshield and the distractions of the road helps sort some of those things out. Anyway enjoy your down time and reload and by the way did the radio work on your way home?

WC145, Lil32, tommyd and 6 others like this.
  14. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

Thanks for the ride Joel.

WC145, Lil32, Hemi Joel and 6 others like this.
  15. Epic trip Joel. Can’t thank you enough for the ride-a-long. Recently returned from a 7,000 mile western loop of our great country in my not old enough for the HAMB truck with my best friend, my wife. Cut off the news and get out and see the the real America. It’s spectacular.

Lil32, charleyw, Hemi Joel and 8 others like this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

It sure was a fun journey. It was mentioned before about what it took to get the car going but damn, sure seems like the work paid off!
    Sure would have been nice to be able to have your son with you. The “cherry” on top so to speak.

Lil32, SS327, Hemi Joel and 8 others like this.
  17. Glad you are home safe Joel,

It was definitely an "Epic Journey" that you will remember for the rest of your life.

Your comments about doing more trips in old cars definitely hits home for me. As a transporter that is always in a hurry to get to the next customer, that would have been a 2 day trip for me & I would have only seen the signs along the highway pointing to the sights you saw. The older I get, the more trips like yours appeal to me & I hope Laura & I can do something like this in one of the older cars maybe next season!

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

18. belair

belair

I had a great time. Thanks.

Lil32, Hemi Joel, Boneyard51 and 6 others like this.
  19. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

I agree with many in here. This trip has inspired me to finish the Plymouth up and take it on a long dreamed of road trip. Plan to get it sorted out then hit the road West from here, I love the fall so I may plan a nice trip in it next Sept/Oct.

Lil32, Hemi Joel, Boneyard51 and 4 others like this.
  20. gonzo

gonzo

Excellent story!
    Thanks for sharing it.

Lil32, Hemi Joel, Boneyard51 and 3 others like this.
  21. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't believe you did this...oh yes I can.... and Well Done!! There is nothing like having the confidence on your ability to complete the journey even if you have to have a roadside rebuild
    I'm 100 % with you on driving the 'old cars' more....bet you are already planning the next trip in your head and take dad along....

22. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

grate trip and story thanks for the ride

Lil32, Stogy, guthriesmith and 4 others like this.
  23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Read this whole thread this morning. Thank you for sharing your story along with your adventure driving home. Interesting as well as inspirational.

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  24. I'm not sure everyone here enjoyed the entire trip. You were in such a rush to get home that when you peeled out of Sioux Falls, not everyone made it back into the car :( I was able to jump back in at the first traffic light but I know not everyone did.

And the pie? To some of us, the crust is a mandatory part but oh no, you wolfed that down before anyone else even had a chance ... :( To put it another way, you basically licked all the icing off a cake then offered the naked cake to your guests ... oh yummy :mad:

;););););););)

61Cruiser, Lil32, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  25. Great trip! Thanks for bringing us along. Your dad would be proud.

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  26. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

Sorry about your father, but what a great way to honor his memory. Thanks for taking us along on the ride.
    I'm a big fan of Aspercream with Lidocaine when my back flares up.

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  27. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Epic journey, epic story, welcome home.

I'm just thinking about the doubters at the beginning of the thread, and the encouragement from others like Squirrel. It's threads like this one and Squirrel's threads on his Lemons Rally adventures, that will encourage more of us to get out there and put some more miles on our old cars. Thank you for that, and just for sharing it all with us.

rdscotty, 41 GMC K-18, Lil32 and 8 others like this.
  28. williebill

williebill

Thanks for letting us ride in the back seat with you.
    The Corvair fumes didn't really bother me.

29. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for a wonderful journey. I was pretty confident your dad's Corvair would get you home, especially with all the prep you put into it.

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  30. @Hemi Joel thanks for taking us along on the trip! Now, you and your son get working on that roadster! I'll pm you again, got some big changes on ours.

41 GMC K-18, Lil32, Stogy and 3 others like this.