Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dumb welding question, fixing out of round Sheetmetal holes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NasT, Oct 27, 2021.

1. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Ok, I am new to welding, I usually have my dad who is a good welder but mostly on clean, new thicker metal. I see what you guys can do on here.

Question is I have 2 holes, that are egged out, because the bolts/screws were broke off and the holes are not perfect circles after I attempted to drill them out.

So, How can I "partially" close up a hole with a panel behind where the hole is??

If I use brass or copper backing will it contaminate the weld? or just tack real quick and easy and grind?

Pics are for reference.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Weld them closed and re-drill them.

fauj and NasT like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Copper or brass backing will not contaminate the weld metal to a point it would fail. I like brass better.
    Just have the area ventilated
    Then redrill the hole.

26Troadster and NasT like this.
  4. NasT

NasT
    from MD

That easy! :) I was just worried about the panel behind, I was gonna slide backer material in and clamp it. Hoping that would work. I think I can fit 1/8 to 3/16 behind.

5. squirrel

squirrel

as with any other welding technique, it's a good idea to practice on a piece of scrap, rather than learning on your project.

fauj, Almostdone, Tman and 4 others like this.
  6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Weld is hard to drill, so you should cut a bigger hole weld in a patch and drill a new hole in the center of the patch, that’s how I would do it ( I am not a great welder).

AVater and '28phonebooth like this.
  7. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i must weld to hot, i have to grind off the brass but the copper works great.

8. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Instead of putting copper/brass behind it, put a small patch behind it and wedge it against the hole. I'd actually drill the holes a little bigger so the weld attaches around where you redrill it, and the edges of the hole are clean for weld adherence. Then weld the hole up and redrill it. It will be stronger that way. Also, like squirrel suggested, do a couple of practice pieces before doing the real ones. This will also help you keep from burning through if you don't have .023 welding wire. Best to use .023 instead of the thicker stuff.

9. Get a fender washer with the size hole you're looking for and use it as your patch.

10. oldsman41

oldsman41

The only dumb questions is the ones you don’t ask. The hamb guys may rib you but you will get answers IMO. I like to over drill the hole make a plug of same thickness of metal then weld it in. When grinding down the weld be careful start at high point and work towards the virgin metal try to take very little off.

11. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Drill the hole out larger, tack patch in, drill the new hole then finish weld the patch.

ekimneirbo and ClarkH like this.
  12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

When grinding down the weld use the edge of the stone or cutoff wheel so as not to attack the base metal which if you are not careful could lead to more welding.

13. NasT

NasT
    from MD

So plug welding with mig or tig and re-drill would be too hard?? Break off bit?

14. mickeyc

mickeyc

Clean the rust from the area as much as possible before you
    attempt to make your repairs.

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just did what LLoyd mentioned above. I needed a 3/8th's hole on each side of my bed where a notch currently resided. I welded in a 3/8" washer after I closed it up and flattened it, no drilling required.
    upload_2021-10-27_9-47-17.png
    Weld it in and grind it down
    upload_2021-10-27_9-48-1.png
    Like squirrel said, practise on some scrap.

16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thats what I was trying to say........:D Only I would weld the patch in and make the "whole" hole full of weld. Then grind it smooth and redrill.

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Did you do that with a mig? I would have trouble keeping the hole without getting weld in it. Putting a solid piece in place makes welding easier and then just redrill the hole. To each his own though :)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

19. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yea, that was a MIG job. I keep the wire speed down and it is pretty easy to do delicate fills. I have a lot of practice filling holes on my PU! :cool:

20. Fender washer gives you plenty of meat to work with damhdsmarketingbuilding-materials-and-fastenersfastenerswashersfender-washers277fwz14112_hero_a.jpg

skip65, old chevy and Bob Lowry like this.
  21. Small holes ,round or not..I just use my MIG with .023 wire
    Set fairly hot Turn the gun around, sorta backwards. Point up at 12 o'clock. Using a series of tacks while still hot, go over to 9 o'clock then back to 3, dropping down as you go. Depending on size, I'll stop and cool or maybe not .Cool when done. Use the cut off wheel and then angle grinder , like you guys do. Never let anything get hot for long and you'll be okay. This is kind of the way I weld headers too.

22. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Yeah these holes are 1/4 maybe and 1/8.

23. I can see guys using a backup with a MIG . I wouldn't do the plug unless I was using a TIG.
    A MIG would leave too much weld that you'd have to grind down IMO