Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thoughts on this chassis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Oct 21, 2021.

1. Oh. I like 4 door crap boxes and Swiss cheese car parts

Nostrebor likes this.
  2. oldsman41

oldsman41

I think it would be okay for a Roth custom, trailer queen show car

3. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...and cut wind resistance way down when you are sliding sideways;).

4. hipojoe

hipojoe

Nice vision, I see the same thing, and I didnt have to squint even a little!

anthony myrick likes this.
  5. dln1949

dln1949

Just put it under something full fendered and low so they have to work to see the holes. I think it's pretty cool. Should be real stout.

6. clem

clem

probably as strong as the original without holes.
    At some point where the holes are too large and there is not enough ‘meat’ left in the steal then it will become weaker.
    ( I think that it is getting close to this point now ).
    To determine this would probably require a mathematical equation from an experienced engineer.
    Plenty of other structural stuff such as bridges, buildings, trusses built along this concept.

Tman and anthony myrick like this.
  7. roddering

roddering
    from Arizona

If I remember correctly, there was someone making these frames!?
    Looks good, just not as function or stable as one would like.
    Show car - YES; Daily driver - NO; Race car - HECK NO.
    Most of the West Texas Speed frames are holed ONLY in the front.
    https://www.ebay.com/str/westexasspeed

8. Budget36

Budget36

Curious how the cross members were to be put in and as well as Motor mounts, etc.

Must have been a chore to weld it all up and not turn it into a pretzel. I assume you had it staked to a frame table?

That must have taken a long time to make up.!

dylan60 likes this.
  9. pitman

pitman

^^^ Often took a lot of tack & 'flip' to remain square, flat. IE all four corners level-to touch.

dylan60 likes this.
  10. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the weld cracks and breaks, it wasn't done properly. If the parent metal of the frame cracks and breaks next to the welds and the welds don't, the welds were done properly but the frame's just not engineered right;)

11. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

I have a frame jig I can’t tell you how many 32 frames I have done. I inserted a picture of the jig.

Attached Files:

Tman, williebill, pitman and 2 others like this.
  12. dylan60

dylan60
    from ny

It’s the same idea as welding triangles in the frame. It is way more rigid than it was originally. Same idea as drilling and sleeving wishbones. Or do you deem that a bad idea too

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I’d have to be sitting on the chassis they have a thought on it.

14. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Ricky Bobby.....channeled but still a lot of holes.

Speedhunters_Keith_Charvonia_Tudor-Hot-Rod-19-1200x800.jpg Speedhunters_Keith_Charvonia_Tudor-Hot-Rod-24-1200x800.jpg Speedhunters_Keith_Charvonia_Tudor-Hot-Rod-25-1200x800.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  15. williebill

williebill

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it. It's not boring.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have to doubt that there is a strength issue the way it is built. As the man who built it said, it is heavier than the plain boxed frame would be with or without holes in the boxing plates.

I have no doubt that someone will fall in love with it and use in hope that what ever they build with it draws some extra attention. Then when it is all but forgotten it will show up in someone's show coverage photos.

dylan60 and anthony myrick like this.
  18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

It's not that uncommon to do something similar in the structural steel industry from a design standpoint. We see castellated steel beams in parking structures sometimes. It's a similar concept.

If you are really worried about the rigidity, there are a few fairly straightforward calcs that can be done to determine hole size and minimum spacing before you compromise the beam in shear. Torsion is a bit harder, but he boxed and sleeved it, so I think it'll be just fine structurally.

I'm super glad I didn't have to do the welding on it. :D It looks like a lot of hood time.

19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

As far as visual I think the holes are a little too large for the hight of the frame for a ratio&proportion to suit my eye. If the holes are say 4" diameter and the frame material is 1/8" wall. Cut the hole through and you have removed two 4" diameter discs which is the same square inches of material that it would take to sleeve with 1/8 wall tube. Go ahead and figure it out.:) Weigh saving would be nil but rigidity would be out of sight. Far out.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    dylan60 likes this.
  20. Andy

Andy

It is a great example of art over engineering.
    A tremendous amount of work to add weight and lower stiffness.
    The example of holes in wing ribs or in bridge construction is a poor example. The beams mentioned were not required to resist torsion.
    The frame probably lost 80% of its torsional stiffness over a plain boxed frame.