Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 36 Ford Club Cabriolet W/ Chopped Padded Tops?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Zombie57Ranchero, Oct 26, 2021.

1. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Hey guys haven't posted a thread here in a while!
    I've been really itching for a 36 Cabriolet and have come across a really nice 36 "Club" Cabriolet I may possibly go for....The only issue is I am not really fond of the long boxy roof compared to the deluxe model.
    I understand the long boxy roof was made for the back seat passengers but my plan would be to make a nice traditionally chopped custom out of it was a padded top. I haven't seen any good references or pictures of one done this way. Would it even look good considering the Club Cab has a longer roof? Any pics of one done or ideas would be much appreciated!

The two pics are of the Boxy roof of a Club Cab and a beautifully done Deluxe Cab by Carrillo Customs

Attached Files:

EVL401 and hfh like this.
  2. F-head

F-head

Hold out for a regular cab

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Take some side shots and visit the photo shop thread, they are magic over there.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a stock one

1936-ford-club-cabriolet-4616-made-in-mid-1936-rare-rear-seat-in-car.jpg

Here it is with the top bows cut down significantly

1936-ford-club-cabriolet-4616-made-in-mid-1936-rare-rear-seat-in-car-1.jpg
    Here it is with cut down bows and the back of the roof shortened up some

1936-ford-club-cabriolet-4616-made-in-mid-1936-rare-rear-seat-in-car-2.jpg

Hamtown Al likes this.

5. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Wow thank you so much that looks great! Would you be able to do it with more of a chop like the Carrillo one I posted above? Thanks!

6. Squablow

Squablow

Sure. You want the stock roof length, or the shortened version, or both?

7. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

That was the plan it's tough because the Club Cab I can get is sooooo nice but you are probably right :/

8. Squablow

Squablow

I'll try both ways. Here's a quickie chopped version with the full length top. Surprisingly nice looking, if not a little bit long.

1936-ford-club-cabriolet-4616-made-in-mid-1936-rare-rear-seat-in-car-1.jpg

Hamtown Al likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

Here's a chopped version with the somewhat shortened roof length. Also looks pretty good.

If you're going to make a Carson top custom out of it anyway, I don't see the harm in starting with a Club Cabrio, it's not that much work to shorten the opening for the back of the roof, fill in the resulting gap in the tulip panel, then build your roof off of that. For a full folding top it'd be a fair bit more work. Although honestly, now seeing the chopped full length one with reworked top, it's not bad looking at all.

Here's a shorter roof chopped one.

1936-ford-club-cabriolet-4616-made-in-mid-1936-rare-rear-seat-in-car-2.jpg

10. Squablow

Squablow

Here's my best attempt at making the top look like a padded Carson instead of a factory canvas unit, and let's shave that spare tire off of there, too.

whitetop1.jpg
    As long as we're making a whole new roof anyway, let's extend the tulip panel (or catwalk, or whatever the hell that's called) further and really make it look more like the blue version above.

whitetop2.jpg
    This last one is my favorite. Slide the roof opening forward a long way (probably 10 inches or better) and fill in the gap, cut the windshield down to height, and build your top. No way I'd turn down a really nice long roof one if this was my goal, the modification between the trunk and the back of the roof is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Hamtown Al likes this.
  11. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

12. AChopped1950ford

AChopped1950ford

13. Zombie57Ranchero

Zombie57Ranchero

Wow thank you so much man you rule I truly appreciate that!

Squablow likes this.
  14. Squablow

Squablow

No problem. If you get pictures of the actual car you're interested in I can work with those too, best to have a straight on side shot to work with. These only take a few minutes apiece and it really helps the visualization so well worth doing if you're going to take on a big project.

15. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

I very much like the top done by Carillo Customs. Instead of just sitting on top of the body, it hugs the body in a very nice way. I don’t know if if folds but having the structure of the top bows be expressed makes it look like it does. And having the wing windows makes the size of the side windows smaller, which I like. Lots of thought went into getting this top right in my opinion.

JCARRILLO and Zombie57Ranchero like this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

Almost looks like the long roof cab could use an additional bow between the B pillar and the rear one. Would smooth the flow, without making it seem totally smooth and over-padded. Either way, the height of the rear bow is the make-or-break item on a chopped convert.