Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old school 302 intake ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RustyTub, Oct 27, 2021.

1. RustyTub

RustyTub
    from Washington

I am trying to make my 1968 ford 302 look like an old school engine. I would like to run 3x2 intake with 97s, 94s, or 81s but finding nothing available. What is available to achieve this look without replacing my great running engine? Thanks in advance.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

There was a tri power manifold available from Ford back then but not for those carbs.

Spooky and Deuces like this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Damn, Ford guys suck me in every time, you do know Chevrolet built a 302 too don't you!

Blues4U, fauj, slowmotion and 6 others like this.
  4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So did a GMC 6…. I see one every Saturday. Adapters and early carbs. What’s “old school” anyway?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Flathead Dave, Blues4U and VANDENPLAS like this.

5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Ford actually built two different 302 V8's. If the OP wants to truly go old school, he will find a 302 Lincoln Y-block out of a F750 or 850.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously though. There wasn't too many 3x2 intakes made for the small Windsor Ford V8. I think the Edelbrock 5412 is still available, and probably stocked by Summit, Jegs, Speedway, or any other mail order catalog place you can think of.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
    fauj, Spooky, continentaljohn and 3 others like this.
  6. OLD REK

OLD REK

Good luck with that..........

7. LOL that would make a good thread "name all the engines from different manufacturers that share a displacement."

Ford and chevy both built a 292 also. Both good motors.

leadsled, Spooky, Phillips and 2 others like this.
  8. You need to look for an Edelbrock 5412 intake manifold. its a 3x2 intake with the 94 / 97 carb flange. id start looking on E Bay, or at swapmeets. Lots of this stuff is not being produced now because of the pandemic crap and they are producing parts that are more popular sellers. There's not a huge demand for a tri-power intake for a 289/302.

9. VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Tough chore to make a 302 Ford look "old school". Best thing you can do is embrace the mid 60's performance vibe of the era that the engine was designed for. Bunch of Webers, bald chrome valve covers, and a "bundle of snakes" set of headers.

[​IMG]

sko_ford, Spooky, scrubby2009 and 6 others like this.
  11. 55blacktie

55blacktie

You'll be happier with a single 4-barrel, unless looks are more important than performance.

Spooky, vtx1800, Dos Cincos and 2 others like this.
  12. The problem with this is you no longer have anyplace to add oil, you have to pull a valve cover. Ford did make a timing-cover-fill front dress for two years ('62-63), but they're very rare these days, and have a passenger-side water pump outlet only. Ford went away from this design quickly because it promoted excessive sludge build-up due to poor air circulation in the crankcase to remove condensation.

Deuces likes this.
  13. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

That 5412 three deuces idea is cool but surprisingly, none out there that I can see. The 3 twos and some old finned VCs you should be good to go. There's a guy in Bakersfield with a trailer full of swap meet intakes, saw him at Turlock. There's a guy in Downey (SoCal) who advertises on LA Craigslist with a shop full of old Ford stuff. Search vintage ford parts Downey and you will find him. j p w a r i n o at ya hoo dot com is his email. His phone is listed too. Good luck!

Deuces likes this.
  14. Roothawg

Roothawg

I didn't know Ford built one.

Tman likes this.
  15. RmK57

RmK57

Ford still does build a rompin chevy stompin 302.;)

Edelbrock makes a nice dual quad intake for a small block Ford. You have to use Carter or Edelbrock carbs though, which would be a deal breaker for me.

Joe Travers, Spooky, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. /\ This /\
    Just use a traditional, old-school air cleaner/filter as the cherry on the cupcake.

17. RustyTub

RustyTub
    from Washington

This is all great information. You’re right I should have specified Ford. I just never think 302 as anything but ford. 5412 is the only thing I stumbled across. I can not believe they are so hard to find. Maybe that is why they are discontinued, no one bought them. The 5412 and finned VCs was exactly my plan. Thanks everyone!

Deuces and 34 5W Paul like this.
  18. Flatrod17

Flatrod17

Not my idea but you could go this way. Pick up a old EFI manifold, throw the top section away add a plenum box to it and put on what carbs you want. 3x2's or just 2x2's Don't forget to plug the injector hole with a pipe plug. ford intake.jpg intake94s.jpg rodchesters.jpg

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Funny looking Motorcraft carbs. ;)

Tickety Boo and Deuces like this.
  20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have one I would give someone.

Deuces and sloppy jalopies like this.
  21. dmar836

dmar836

I would do Flatrod17's idea! Totally doable and unique. Great stuff!

Hnstray, Spooky and Deuces like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

they sell a [2] or [3] 2-barrel carb adaptor, bolts to a 4 barrel intake, uses rochesters...
    think vintage speed makes em ? shaped like a chunk of 2"x 4" but cast aluminum...

The Shift Wizard and Deuces like this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

:rolleyes:

rpm56 likes this.
  24. Funny you mention that. A HAMBer I know made a pattern for and cast and machined a 3 carb adaptor for the FI manifold 10+ years ago. Was presented as available here, but another member claimed it was his idea, he had patent pending and threatened all kinds of legal stuff to 'protect himself' so killed off the cast part. The guy I know wasn't doing it as a business, just for himself and made extras. The bully won. And here we are.:rolleyes:

25. 221s, 260s, early 289s had a generator.
    A oil fill tube in the timing cover, no hole valve covers and a draft tube.
    Not a lot of “old school” intakes, not compared to other older engines anyway.

26. dmar836

dmar836

I'm sure he never had to work another day in his life! LOL

Hnstray likes this.
  27. desotot

desotot

28. birdman1

birdman1

Speedway motors in Lincoln Nebraska sells a 4v to 3x2 adapter. $175 bucks

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  29. deathrowdave