Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What ratio manual steering box for Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robbie Horn, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

What is the best ratio manual steering box for a Model A 2 door sedan with a 350 V8 & dropped axle? 20:10 or 16:1? I know 20:1 would be easier to steer but I also would like the quicker ssteering of the 16:1 but don't want it to be too hard to maneuver in tight places.

2. |I have a Mustang power steering box ( quick ratio) in my A coupe and it is very easy to steer. I believe the ratio is around 16:1. I used to know it but my memory isn't what it used to be. I also have a pitman arm from Pete and Jakes which is a little shorter than the stock mustang one so that would contribute to the easier steering effort. Go with the 16:1 box.

Robbie Horn and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m not a fan of the 16 to 1 box on a model a . I cant relax and just drive, IMO it feels like it is driving me .

Robbie Horn likes this.
  4. Joe H

Joe H

My '37 Chevy truck, I went from 16:0-1 to 19.8-1, the truck steers much easier at slow speeds and out on the road. Its not nearly as touchy with the slow ratio.

Robbie Horn likes this.

5. oldsman41

oldsman41

Elco no maybe just me. All the cars I get done by machine guy in my small town is a whiz at alignments on them we have a club here of stock model a. Everybody goes to him. Like I said it might be me.

Elcohaulic and Robbie Horn like this.
  6. Robbie Horn

Robbie Horn
    from Axtell

Got my new 16:1 steering box today & got it installed. Made worlds of difference. Drives like it should now. 16:1 is the way to go in my opinion. It had a wore out 20:1 on it. There is only 1 full turn of the steering wheel difference in the 2 boxes. Lot easier to maneuver around with the quicker ratio. Thanks for all the help guys.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  7. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Ditto

8. Glad it all worked out for you.

Robbie Horn likes this.