Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Anyone know this chopped 57 fairlane

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by rhd, Oct 24, 2021.

1. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

I picked up this 57 fairlane and just curious if anyone knows who/when it was chopped. I found the previous owner who said he got it at Pomona 5-10 years ago. It's a little ruff around the edges but I'm gonna start on bringing it back to life. It's got 59 t bird seats y block. Used to have cadillac fins but they got cut off at some point Screenshot_20211021-165117_Chrome.jpg 20211023_191618.jpg 20211024_200148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2021
    54delray, Okie Pete, Comet9 and 16 others like this.
  2. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Norwell has a thing for 57 Fords.
    A Kustom - maybe Moriarity too.

@Jeff Norwell

@Moriarity

Maybe they know about the old low lid.

Jeff Norwell and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

never saw that one before. I did make the pics bigger, always chose "full image" when posting photos, especially when trying to get something ID'd

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

never seen that before.... But I do like the combo of custom and Fairlane stuff on the car.Really like that the caddy rear fins are gone.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Whats the drivetrain?

6. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

Thanks guys ya I'm glad the caddy fins are gone too lol ita got a 292 y block in it and runs great

Woogeroo and Cooon like this.
  7. 1952henry

1952henry

Sure "flows" without the fins.

8. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nice,,,very nice

9. Squablow

Squablow

Are you sure this is a Fairlane and not a Custom series car? It's interesting for sure.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  10. I'm learning at my age my memory isn't what I think it is but, I believe you may have a 300 series there. Door says 300 to me and the letters on the front panel being Block and saying FORD is a 300 item. The 500 series would be script saying Fairlane. I also see it don't match the rest of the car and they are a direct bolt up change over. The rear bumper is a 500 series item. Don't go to the Bank with any of this info but that's how I remember things. Hope you can find a good Glass guy to get a windshield done. I have a week spot for 57 Fords, probably why I have more than one.

Jeff Norwell likes this.
  11. It's a Custom with the optional side trim. The Custom 300 had side trim that mimicked the Fairlane. The Fairlane fins curve down into the doors moving forward with a corresponding 'dip' in the side window opening. The window opening posts are also 'flat', not rounded like these, and would have had polished stainless cladding to imitate a hardtop.

I believe the front clip is the only common exterior sheetmetal to both cars, even the wheelbase is different with the Fairlane being 2" longer.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see a lot of potential in that one. Add me to the crew that says loosing the Caddy fins was a big improvement. To me the Caddy bullets need to go by by too. They are as belly button on customs as those Me too tanks on the front of 32 fords.
    The best part may be that it isn't famous and no one will get their undies in a tight not if you make a few proper changes and put your own spin on it.

54delray likes this.
  13. spinner

spinner

mark i may never get to see your place but your pictures are a joy to see. thank you for showing them.

Moriarity likes this.
  14. The VIN code will tell you what body style you have.

15. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

What a find, you will only see something in that shape in New England after a few years of rust repair. One item I did notice was the helper by the rear of the car in the second picture, you might have to have a word with her, doesn't look real interested. Your helper at the front of the car, the one with the purple hair, is getting right to work. Another point in favor of the helper in front is that the color of her hair matches the color of the car as shown in the first picture.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great car.....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

Thanks guys, and ya the car is a custom 300 lol gonna start fixing the chop next week. Brakes went out driving it around the yard so a new master is on the way lol. And tail lights showed up today so I can ditch those horrible caddy tail lights. It's got some seriously noisy lifters so that will be on the list of things to do aswell

spinner and Squablow like this.
  18. 57Fury440

57Fury440

Nice. I agree about the caddy tail lights and fins. Go with the chrome reverse wheels.

19. cabong

cabong

Now let me confuse you..... My old '58 Fairlane (yes) had a '57 front clip. I love, and have owned many 57's, of all models, but never really cared for the "bug-eyed" look. On the other hand, I really liked the headlights on the '58 models, but that was all I cared for. I had always wanted to marry the two, so when I picked up the '58/57 I figured it would be easy to make the swap, since the "eyebrow" is the same on both. That's where the similarities end. It took a lot of metal massaging to make it work, but I think the results were very smooth. Rounded hood corners and molded panel beneath the hood help. Many people at the drag races asked why I painted it in these colors. Old folks like me will remember the Watson-painted LeFevre '59 El Camino from back the late 50's. I saw that puppy before it was messed up, and told myself that one day I would do the same paint. Needless to say, it took a while.... It was yellow pearl and candy green, with gold pinstriping..... Chrome wheels and poverties always look good.. race day.jpg lefevre el camino.jpg

20. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

Well 1 problem solved

Attached Files:

Jibs, tomkelly88 and Squablow like this.
  21. In case you didn't know, all y-blocks have solid lifters so valve adjustment might be all that is needed.

Okie Pete likes this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Most likely, an outside oiler kit.

23. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

Ya I'm gonna pop the valve covers off and see, thats what I was thinking... atleast that's what I hope lol

24. cabong

cabong

Unless you're into the big glitz, which is okay, you might opt for a Custom or Custom 300 bumper under those taillights. They are much smoother, and you can run stock guards, wagon guards, or no guards. This was my '58. and painted 'till I got the chrome one, but you git the idea..... That being said, DO NOT install it upside down..... That's not okay..... In my humble opinion.. Bonnie taillights.jpg

54delray, Okie Pete and rhd like this.
  25. rhd

rhd
    from austin tx

I'll probably leave the bumper for now, I just wanna put some miles on it lol. Sprayed the dash last night gold flake with Candy green over the top

Attached Files:

Woogeroo, Squablow, bowie and 2 others like this.
  26. cabong

cabong

That dash looks mighty fine !!

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

1957 Ford Custom
    1957 Ford Custom.jpg

Next, a '57 Ford Custom 300
    1957 Ford Custom 300.jpg

Followed by a '57 Ford Fairlane
    1957 Ford Fairlane.jpg

And finally a '57 Ford Fairlane 500
    sc0517-282604_2@2x.jpg

28. Ltorch

Ltorch

29. I agree with most everything said. That car is probably a Custom (Ford's base model), not a Custom 300...... at least that's what the side trim is, but many have swapped. Lol, seems like those who have Customs want the 300 trim, and vise versa!! The trim piece between the back window and the spear is what came on the factory two toned Customs. The solid color cars did not have that small piece. The rest of the trim is standard Custom trim, not "optional" as someone said. The back bumper is indeed from the Fairlane series. Sooooo much better without those god-awful caddy fins and taillights. You might consider rolling the back pan......would look cool on that car (see my avatar). Interesting project to say the least!
    I'm confused about the last pics from Ltorch.........is that where the car came from?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    54delray likes this.
  30. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

That '57's got a lot of potential for sure. The body style is widely overlooked and needs very little to make 'em look cool... yours has an excellent start with the chop and the stance!
    Those Y-blocks are good engines, but be sure the oil return holes under the valve covers are kept clear as they always seem to get clogged off. Any thought about changing the rear window?

54delray likes this.