Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage CHRR

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MeanGene427, Oct 5, 2021.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Who's going to CHRR? Looks like it's still on, looking into it

rpm56, 41 GMC K-18 and Deuces like this.
  2. I’ll be there. Dead motor so just be spectating this year

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, the volume of replies to this post pretty much sums up the CHRR for '21.
    Small fields of AA/FD, N/FC and AA/S, small CackleFest, light showing of cars in the Grove show area, about half of a swap meet. No entries in Nitro Pro Comp (Funny cars vs altereds vs dragsters on a 6.0 index).
    The area by the finish line grandstands previously packed with the Choppers, Shifters and similar cars was mostly golf carts and a beat up roundy-round car. There was a decent '35 3w, a '32, and an interesting '55 Chevy with a BBC set way back.
    Once again the fuel altereds stole the show with many strong passes, Pure Hell running 237 mph and Kyle Hough muscling Nanook on a typical old style fuel altered run (sideways on two wheels). Dan Horan dropped some jaws with a 267 mph pass trying to catch Drew Austin in the Funny Car final.
    The first car I saw when I got there Friday was the '32 with Mummert on the door sitting in the staging lanes - still no Y block in it though....
    What is it with California hot rodders?? A car show, with drag races, at a legendary track, and no one goes?? Our small local shows seem to be well attended but give me the choice between sitting in a lawn chair at the VFW or sitting in the grandstands at Famoso and.... well, you know what I choose. A 3-day pass for one was only $60 with the AAA discount. I won't be surprised if CHRR #30 is the last one and they make the October final event just another Heritage Series points race and drop all the Reunion features. Is the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green having the same problem?

Just Gary, Jalopy Joker and pprather like this.
  4. Hey, I was there, with the 50, in the grove, just relaxin, watching, listening to racing. it was abit small, but that's okay. I hauled a family friends mobility chair there, so he could see the sights. He drove his 41 ford, with a 427 SOHC there, he just couldn't walk very far without getting winded. It was quite a sight seeing him cruise the grounds in that chair. Grinning ear to ear.

BigMike

5. bchctybob

bchctybob

^^^^ Great! I ran into several friends out there, so there are some die-hards that go regardless. I'm 71 and the wife and I still go for the weekend and sleep in our van. I started doing that because in the past if you didn't get to the track by dawn the parking lots were full and you had to park out on Hwy 46! (those days seem to be gone) Besides, there's nothing like waking up at the track to the sound of race engines and track scrubbers. Not to mention eating that breakfast burrito and coffee in the stands while watching the first few cars making passes.

41 GMC K-18 and Budget36 like this.
  6. I went every year for decades. Lived in B'field so just down the road. Retired and got out of the People's Republik Jan 2019 and moved to Texas. Lots of folks following me plus the g'b'mnt there is discuraging anything motorized. Handwriting is on the wall sadly.

echo ed, Charlie K, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

There was eight of us that went, had a fine time, weather was great, not much down time and a lot of nice race cars. Sure, it was not as big as a couple years ago, but if you remember last year, they made it so hard to attend with the advanced sale... and only for the whole event. AND then $80 for some absurd parking deal; that may have discouraged a few.
    The swap meet there has always sucked, same dozen guys with the same overpriced stuff fighting over a nickel.
    Good event , and certainly beats going to Pomona for the NHRA shit show.

bchctybob likes this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Sure missed seeing that Willys out there, it's always been a fixture. I think I only saw 3 or 4 street Willys out there this year. Don Waldron didn't put an entourage of gassers in the midway like he used to. And yeah, the atmosphere in this state is anti-cars if you believe the mainstream media but to see the racers out there running hard and thrashing sorta counteracts the 6 o'clock news blues, at least for a while.

41 GMC K-18 and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  9. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Didn't go viewed some pics on FB, attendance looked lite. Viewed some YouTube of the Dragstrip stuff looked just OK. I viewed the Saturday Nite Push Start Cackle Show. Whom ever set up the Cameras and Microphones need to be Fired! Compared to Previous years, pathetic!!!! Think Nitro Revival is the place to be, and it's coming up!

bchctybob likes this.
  10. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Travel expenses are limiting some of the teams, and with the Cackle Fest cars, you have another event for those cars in 2 weeks over at Irwindale Racetrack, Figure at least 60 cars and this year its a 2 day event.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

any pics to share?

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

I think that's the Steve Gibbs influence. The CHRR has struggled since he left.

Fordors and HemiDeuce like this.
  13. bchctybob

bchctybob

Yeah, racers I talked to said fuel and lodging was tough this year. Good to hear about Irwindale. I guess I can understand folks being loyal to Gibbs, especially if it's closer to home but the Bowsers deserve some too. They have the responsibility to try to keep one of California's last racetracks alive
    I left my camera and phone at home, right next to the front door so I wouldn't forget them.....oops.

14. I call that Partsheimer's

Budget36 and bchctybob like this.
  15. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Here are a few shitty ones I took... IMG_5741.JPG IMG_5742.JPG IMG_5743.JPG IMG_5745.JPG IMG_5746.JPG IMG_5748.JPG IMG_5749.JPG

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I wore out my legs and feet at least a dozen times over the years, was worth it, nothing will erase the memories. The CHRR had no match in my opinion in its heyday, then it went sideways.
    We would go to the little shindig at the Doubletree with the same enthusiasm and then one year after sitting out a few years went back down but when we arrived at the hotel it was nearly a ghost town.

Bob
    I can't imagine how many of those chorizo burritos I've consumed, miss them!

41 GMC K-18 and bchctybob like this.
  17. bchctybob

bchctybob

I get chorizo, coffee and two cups of salsa on Saturday morning and bacon, coffee and two cups of salsa on Sunday morning, it’s a ritual that’s carved in stone for me.
    I saw that red roadster from a distance and meant to go back to check it out but I got distracted and forgot. So much to look at, so short an attention span. I wish I had gone back to see it, it looks like a roadster that I had in my shop for custom headers years ago.
    Partsheimer’s, that’s pretty good. Me, I’m not too bad at finding parts that I’ve stashed in my shop (eventually) but I can find a million strange places to leave my phone.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  18. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I'll be going to Irwindale this year. Smaller/tighter space than Bakersfield, but MUCH closer to home !
    60 cars...great. Plus the general population showing up to bracket race. Should be some nice cars making laps on the track too.
    It didn't happen last year, but the year before was a good event.

I'll go Saturday, and depending on what's going on, maybe I'll go back Sunday.

Mike

bchctybob likes this.
  19. yes, the breakfast burritos were pretty good. We walked from end to end, side to side, and all in between, never once pulled my phone out to take pics. I did spend a minute talking with HAMB member fiveoh108 (Mike Thomas). It was good seeing him out there. His falcon was running strong as ever.

BigMike

bchctybob likes this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The CHRR is still one of the premier go to events, no matter what your feelings. If you understand the entire point of these type of events. With these old racing heros leaving us in rapid order-- may be the last time you get to see them[​IMG]

21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Every year that list is a stunner. It's hard to stand there each year and hear the names of friends and legends who are no longer with us. I saw Phil Hobbs walking around at the reunion a few years ago. I stopped and asked if he was the Phil Hobbs of the Hirata and Hobbs team from years ago, he said yes. I told him I was a young fan back then - all the way across the country in L.A. He said that he was truly surprised how many people remembered him and their team. He said they were just racing and having fun, never thought about recognition, especially all these years later. I got the same reaction from George Montgomery when I met him. It's great that, through events like this, they get to know just how big their fan base is.

loudbang and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Lets hear more on the red 32 Ford blown inliner

23. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Had a Buick straight eight with a Weiand supercharger. Maybe someone else has more details...
    Car got a lot of attention.

24. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

From when the program was printed till this past weekend, you could add 5 more names to that list

loudbang likes this.
  25. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Thanks MCjim would love to see a sound bite on that one, I sadly recall in the mid 50's a group of local rod guys put a 48 or so straight 8 buick bound for the salvage yard on blocks & ran it wide open attempting to blow it up, turned the exhaust manifolds cherry red, could never get it to blow, drained the coolant & ran till it seized. Crazy to say the least !

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker