Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Ford vacuum lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David O Smith, Oct 26, 2021.

Tags:
  1. David O Smith

David O Smith

I have a 54 Ford Customline with a 6cly trying to find out where all vacuum lines go under the dash and under the hood, I've read something about a vacuum off the fuel pump which mine dosent have, but there is a line that comes off the intake/exhaust manifold under where the carb is and it come over to where the fuel pump is. Any Help

2. jaracer

jaracer

If you have a vacuum operated heater control valve, most Fords of the era did, you should have a "t" under the dash with one line going to the heater control valve and the other to the wiper motor. There should be another line on the heater control valve going back out into the engine compartment to operate the heater valve on the engine.

A lot of cars with vacuum wipers had a "booster" fuel pump that was supposed to supply vacuum to the wipers when you stepped on the throttle and lost engine vacuum. In my experience, they were better than nothing, but not much.

David O Smith likes this.
  3. David O Smith

David O Smith

Thank you, yes it has the vacuum off the heater control and wiper motor just trying to find out what supply the vacuum if it's not coming off the fuel pump.

4. David O Smith

David O Smith

Been trying to find a diagram showing where they go there's vacuum off the wiper switch and the heater controller
    Don't see any valve off the motor or anywhere there was one, not even off the heater core hoses.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021

5. The connection at the intake manifold is the vacuum source.

jaracer and David O Smith like this.
  6. David O Smith

David O Smith

Will give it a try see if that works

7. David O Smith

David O Smith

Attached Files:

8. David O Smith

David O Smith

May add one of these to help.

9. What you really need is the factory service manual for your car. There is some variation in the actual install from year to year. What Jaracer said is essentially correct, but there can be detail differences. What I recall is the vacuum source is off the intake manifold, from there to the dual-diaphragm fuel pump, and from the pump to inside the car. Ford used metal lines for these under the hood, with short pieces of rubber hose to make connections. Under the dash, the vacuum line is 'teed' to both the wiper motor and the heater temperature control. Here's where it gets difficult...

Ford used a couple of ways to control the heat. In all cases the 'temp' lever operates a valve via a cable located somewhere on the heater housing. This valve could also control water flow (and temp) with a thermostat, with the cable 'setting' the temp. No vacuum needed. There was no control valve at the motor. Some had a 'bypass' connection that required a 'tee' in one of the hoses under the hood. These can be identified by three hose connections at the firewall. Some were just in-line with one of the hoses, did require a vacuum source to control temp, and has the 'normal' two connections at the firewall and no control valve at the motor. I suspect your '52 is one of these. The third type again used a vacuum valve under the dash controlled by the lever, but instead of directly controlling water flow, another vacuum line goes from it to an engine-mounted vacuum valve which controls actual water flow.

Dual-diaphragm fuel pumps disappeared out of the parts stores year ago, as most manufacturers discontinued vacuum wipers. Ford was one of the last hold-outs, keeping them into the early '60s. They do help wiper operation, but these days a electric vacuum pump isn't a bad idea, or better yet, install an electric wiper conversion. The real problem is the OEM-style water flow control valves have gotten expensive ($90 and up), with some the only replacement is to send yours in for a rebuild. It's pretty typical to find a manual control valve at the motor (close it in summer, open it in winter) in place of the vacuum one, but if the under-dash water flow valve has failed you'll need to pull the heater out for repair.

There is a relatively cheap fix for the heater control. Ford switched to in-line manual cable-operated temp control valves on their trucks in the late '60s, these are still readily available. You need to remove the existing flow valve and need a longer control cable to connect to your dash control.

David O Smith and warbird1 like this.
  10. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

I have a '53 Customline with a 6 cylinder. Should be similar to yours. Vacuum port on intake manifold under carb goes into my vacuum wipers. That's it. No vacuum at fuel pump and heater controls are all manual, cable operated. No vacuum under dash except the line coming through the firewall to the wiper motor.

You should also have hard vacuum line from the distributer to carb, load-o-matic setup.

11. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See if these pics help IMG_1281.JPG IMG_1282.JPG

David O Smith likes this.
  12. Ford did generally offer two 'levels' of heaters, a 'standard' version and a deluxe version with differences in the controls.

13. David O Smith

David O Smith

14. David O Smith

David O Smith

Zac said
    My 54 has two vacuum lines going into the heater housing going to a small valve, I'm thinking they come from the heater control

15. One is from the vacuum source, the other probably went to a vacuum valve which is probably missing by now.

16. David O Smith

David O Smith

Zac I have another question that you may be able to answer, there's a cutout on the firewall that had the heater hoses going to a Y that gose under the dash, the problem I'm trying to figure out is not all 54 had this, because my 54 doesn't have a cutout on the firewall for the Y, also when I was at salvage yard getting parts I found this on cars there that some have some don't so I'm confused way
    Hope you can help.
    Thanks

17. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

According to my old Ford manual there were two types of heaters available in 1953. A fresh air heater and a recirculating heater. The fresh air one had a valve mounted on the inner fender below the heater blower.

They could also have changed it for 54. You should join the '52-'59 Ford Social Group on here. Lots of guys that know '54 Fords very well there.