Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Mild custom Studebaker. Toughts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Norrland, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Custom Hotrod...you're skewing the lines...It does Happen and since your Stude is a Mild Custom you could take it either way and get the saying I use Hybrid...Anyways here's a few for Inspiration...

StudeV1.jpg

Version 1

Lowered, Lake Pipes (hooked up), Doors Radiused, Fender Ports removed Lake Caps Machined to Fender Ports added to Pipes, WWs, 56 Lincoln Wheelcovers, Skirts, Bumpers Chromed, Fin Detail darkened to match Roof...

StudeV2.jpg

Version 2

Same as V1 but Ports on Fender left...

StudeV3.jpg

Version 3

Same as V2 but Higher Stance

StudeV5.jpg

Version 5

Same as V1 Minus Lake Pipes...

Stude_ready-to-Play2.jpg

Ready to Play...

@Norrland congrats on this Streamlined Stude...it has lots of potential...Just a Heads Up...Your Title has a misspelling...I'm not majorly critical of spelling but this is a Title...So some may miss the point of it all...That being my only concern...

Credit to All That Inspired These

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  2. Im a Swede. Hope im excused? :)

Hnstray, GasserTodd and Stogy like this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

Good looking car. Drive as is, have fun
    OR

little lower stance with a lot of tire, performance stance, not a slammed tail dragged, Wheel choice up to you.

The black top follows the factory trim line but the quarter window stands out now. What would it look like with the area around the quarter window painted black, or paint match the top yellow.

4. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-23_6-16-3.png

Hey S,
    Nice work on the choices. You forgot one that made the Studebaker so popular out West in those early days of the salt flats and dry lakes action. Moon Discs on low profile blackwall tires. It was almost enough for my brother and me to get a new supercharged motor with a new Studebaker Hawk. That certainly would have been different.

Jnaki

But, as with my brother's 51 Olds in Yellow and then in Lime Green, Moon Discs were the obvious choice.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Of course you are...

I played around with both a Custom look and then took the skirts off to suit a more adventurous aka sporty, even Hotrod leaning look which the chrome reverse you used and the Moon Discs @jnaki shared also work so well for capturing both looks...

J also went Blackwall which to many speaks more Hotrod over WW although this is many times debated as is just about any thing done to bring about a certain look from the vintage past...

Any thoughts Norrland?...;)

Customs are generally low but you have went high with your Inspiration...the moods are quite dramatically different...have we given you any possible scenarios for direction?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

J thank you it was hours...and on top of that I closed my PS before saving the first iteration probably 2 to 3 hours gone...:oops:...but I redid it all over again for the passion side of it and saved it this time...;)

I really like your Inspiration with Moon Discs, BWs, minus the ports...sleek and ready to cut into the vast, seemingly infinite Dry Lakes lanes of speed records...so many choices...where will Norrland go?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    jnaki likes this.
  7. I love the odd cars and looks and stance (late 60's early 70's that speak to me. My most imported task is to get an old trailer. Because my biggest dream the last 20 or so years are to have the combo of a Studebaker and my Gasser (pictured) on a trailer behind it.

Attached Files:

8. southerncad

southerncad

How about posting your pic on the Photoshop thread and get some great ideas....?

Norrland likes this.
  9. rivguy

rivguy

Looks like you got a great car. These are distinctive cars, you hardly see them anymore. I'd leave it like it is and join those that say just drive it and enjoy it.

10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd venture to say that a Custom along the lines of what has been presented is not in the offing here...as you want a tow car with a vintage race inspiration...so chrome reverse or cragars without any lowering and a taller than smaller tire both front and rear with some size variation may be all you truly need...and a trailer hitch...

Again with Studes being a near factory Mild Custom yours can wear the blackwall, mag or Chrome reverse and look very well...

ebay971012.jpg

ebay971015.jpg

:rolleyes:...Here's an example of a similar stanced Stude perhaps a different year but they were quite similar so it serves the purpose as an inspiration...

Quite a straight forward conversion for you...

You'd have to make sure your suspension is up to par to handle the loads presented...

Oh! You might need a couple decals in the 1/4 windows...:D

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

Congrats ! Nice !

Stogy likes this.
  12. Stogy likes this.
  13. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

What's not to like? easily one of the most aerodynamic American made cars of the '50's (with the earlier hood/grille)and with a factory blower available I believe it is literally the first american muscle car...also if you plan to make a HAMB friendly driveline ...the Packard 375 was also one of the biggest engines of the era...I heard a story (no backup) that the 375 has the same bore spacing as one of the early Hemi's ...the story goes a lakes engine was once built with a 375 stroked out to 500ci w Hemi heads but I can't confirm that

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

StudeV6.jpg

StudeV6b.jpg

Credit to All That Inspired This

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  15. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

So what I always wanted to do was alleviate that upwards sweep toward the windshield the roof takes...with a wedge chop that equalizes the roof line with the door tops..any photoshop graphics wizards wanna take a stab at it? the result should be a more raked windshield in my mind...BTW the rear fenders are far and away better than the '53 pictured above but I like the '53 hood and grille more...

Stogy likes this.
  16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear fenders just fasten on over the top of the 53 fenders.
    About the only thing that wasn't ot on this one that I saw at Maryhill museum a couple of weeks ago is the body shell and the hub caps but I sure liked the fastback look on it.

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Raked windshield...only if you don't split the roof and move it forward and keep the posts at OEM angle..

It was mentioned that that lost a Studebaker Trademark in a sense hence the soul...I'm not sure of Norrs intentions for how much slicing he wants to do...His Chrome reverse image makes me think a chop is possibly a no go but I'm interested in his thoughts of the latest ones I did...

I did a mild angle chop below but left some rake to keep the Studebaker Design Team from Squealing...:D

I like it...;)

Stude2_angle-chop.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a beauty and I think as a Custom without knowing its Motor and Chassis Guts it could easily be a 65ish Show car...

I'll dream the tires are Firestone White Letter Champions...:D

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The ‘Gentlemen’s Chop’ (lowering front of top only) on a Stude coupe has been done several times and I have seen a set of photos showing the process. Thinking it was maybe a Gene Winfield exercise…..if not a HAMB thread, it was probably a youtube video.

Ray

Edit: Thanks to @TrailerTrashToo for a quick search on this subject and correcting my error as to the Customizer who was featured….being the famous Dick Dean…..Thanks, Triple T ;)

Stogy and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  20. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Link (courtesy of a Google search):

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub...ssion/69832-gentleman-s-chop-magazine-article

It was Dick Dean that did these chops.

Short story (semi-on topic). In 1992, I was exiled to Southern California for a year long training. One Saturday, using an address taken from an old Custom Rodder article, I tracked down Dick Dean's shop in Riverside, CA. Found it closed, surrounded with a chain link fence, and a property for rent sign hanging on the fence.

I called the number printed in my article. Dick Dean answered. He explained that he no longer did customer cars, the TV and Movie car business was a better (and steadier) line of work. He was very gracious and chatted with me for a while - a true Gentleman!

Russ

EDIT: p.s. I still want a "Loewy" Coupe (insert Bob Bourque here for accuracy). I got close about 3 years ago - It had "bondo" by the bucket and the trunk floor was "see-through" <sigh>...

Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mr48_SV.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rt-show-10-29-21.1246141/page-2#post-14253648

:rolleyes:...I spent quite some time with the Stude shared by Mr. 48 Chev bringing it back to 1965 and to a place where speed rules...

Credit to All That Inspired This

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    alanp561 likes this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

alanp561 and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like everything about your Stude but the portholes. They just don't belong there.

jnaki and Stogy like this.
  24. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

Nice, have fun!

Mine. fall crop sm.jpg

Stogy and 5brown1 like this.