Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bumpers or no bumpers ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 30, 2020.

1. The rear bumper didn't help too much, this 40 coupe was sitting still when it was rear ended by a distracted driver driving a jacked up pickup truck.. HRP

[​IMG]

Lil32 likes this.
  2. 5window

5window

Let me be the first to say it="that will hammer right out".

3. 5window

5window

Your (nice) car, but I think it would better with a bumper. JMTC> Besides, how can I tell which year it belongs to if it doesn't have the bumper?

4. Lil32

Lil32

5. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Larry  (10).jpg Larry  (17).jpg No bumpers for me. I think it would not look right.

Norris McCarty likes this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-10-25_4-13-38.png
    Hello,

When we were on a Northern California vacation photo shoot road trip, I took this photo of a 1935 Chevy sedan. It was a great looking hot rod and I knew it was going to get into one magazine or another. After all, it was a Chevy hot rod and not a Ford.

The percentage of Ford hot rods in magazines is so overwhelming that the editors thought I built this one just to be different. But an avid hot rodder from Davis, California near Sacramento did all of the hard work.//

Luckily as planned, my brother’s family lived in Davis and we got to spend some time with them. It was handy to go to the neighborhood park and open land for the photos. Why was this Chevy sedan different? Well, besides being a custom Chevy hot rod, it did not have front bumpers. As a matter of fact, it did not have rear bumpers, either. Whew… that is a lot of hard work rolling around without some protection.

Jnaki

So, my wife and I liked the look of the bumper free front end. The curve of the Chevy front fenders and the grille just looked like that is how cars should look. No front bumper to clog up the smooth design and appearance.

Just to be on the other side of the point of view, here is a 1935 Chevy sedan with a front bumper and a two tone paint. For our safety point of view and to keep minor fender bumps away, we are in the bumper group, too. But, there is something to be said about the smooth look of the bumper-less 1935 Chevy front end…YOMV
    upload_2021-10-25_4-14-45.png

7. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

My dad said, son, what good is a front bumper if it's 6 inches off the ground.

8. I thot the orig. bumpers looked too heavy, replaced em with home made bars...
    55 chev pu good 005.jpg

9. Having just had an accident, I'm thinking about putting a front bumper back on my Model A. I'm waffling, it's just looks better without it and I doubt it would've helped much anyway.