Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help advice needed removing welds

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Evolution, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

Hi maybe a silly question

but whats the best easiest way to remove these welded steel plates on my little hot rod project please? That will do the least damage to the body

it was like this when i got it, i presume it was done to keep the body safe body/flex for transport at some point in its life

thanks

Attached Files:

2. If you have one, I would use a small air powered cut off disc and just cut each spot weld one after the other trying not to get it too hot.

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

It is only tacked, I would use a cutoff wheel and carefully just go thru the tack welds

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretty easy with a thin cutoff disc on a die grinder, a little care needed to keep from cutting into good sheetmetal, just cut about 90% through then knock loose with a thin chisel under the edge of the sheetmetal next to each tack weld, touch up the remainder of the tack with the same disc but don't use the face of the disc unless you change to a thicker one.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes, I type slow!

milwscruffy, VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Suggest grinding the part sticking up above the patch plates down to smooth with the plates to help establish a line to "hit' lightly with a cut-off disc & pop the patch plate off so you can smooth off the remaining tack without digging in to the body. edit: I also type WAY TOO Slow... LOL

7. Evolution

Evolution
    from c

Thanks guys appreciate it

8. Is it the 32 three window in your avatar?

Evolution likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I was gonna suggest the more traditional method of hammer and cold chisel...but you know how I am....

triumph 1, Tman, GordonC and 6 others like this.
  10. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

A flap disk is super handy too for knocking them down a bit and cleanup after. Reduces the risk of knicking the panel in comparison to a grinding disk.

WB69, Hnstray and Evolution like this.
  11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Geez Lloyd your an animal…..;-)

12. I was gonna suggest a cutting torch :confused::D but yes, careful use of the death wheel is the best option, then grind down what's left behind. ;)

VANDENPLAS, squirrel and nochop like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

It's not like he has to worry about messing up some virgin sheet metal

14. The common answer is a die grinder with a 3" cut off wheel. Be very gentle. :) If you don't have one, go get one. That's an invaluable tool when doing sheet metal repair.

vtx1800 likes this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, and it sounds like the OP doesn't do a lot of this so the cheap one from HF should last a long time, I use the one that mounts the disc directly to the grinder, no arbor required.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

The weld is the hardest and strongest part of a patch. The metal beside it is the weakest. Be careful chiseling. It may just break off the good metal and leave a hole in the base metal of the body. Been there …

Hnstray likes this.
  17. X-cpe

X-cpe

If you have to buy one, I would suggest getting a reversible one. It is so nice to not have the sparks bouncing off your face shield.

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I've been told by women that my eyes melt their hearts. I could give it a try on the welds...

There, Did it work?

19. Budget36

Budget36

Have a pic of yours?

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

21. Guess I need a sarcasm sign.

VANDENPLAS, Tman, Petejoe and 2 others like this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ha. Definitely not for you Lloyd. that was for those who haven’t ever removed patches. PJ

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Using a "thin" cut off wheel and coming straight down on the weld with the edge of it will allow less heat to be imparted into the parent sheet metal. Do one weld and get it close to the parent metal but not thru. Then skip to a different plate and do one there. Skip around on different plates rather than trying to completely do one plate. When you have all the welds cut nearly thru, you can go back and finish the cuts and very little heat will be generated. I like to use a 6" cut off wheel on a 90 degree electric grinder, but it doesn't allow a guard for wheel explosion. I wear a face shield and my leather welding gloves. The larger wheel gives more flexibility, and once the plate is off, it works well for smoothing the left over weld off the panel. You also have to watch your fingers when doing it this way as you can take a nick out of a finger when you grab the "on" switch. Thats why I wear the gloves.
    Anyway, the point is that if you grind by pressing against the weld, you will generate more heat. If you come in from the edge of a weld (parallel to the panel), you cut a slot and its almost flush with the panel..........and less heat buildup.

Cutoff wheel.jpg

24. oldsman41

oldsman41

Cut off wheel the thinnest one possible. Be very careful, come at the weld from the thickest part and work in to the virgin metal, watch heating it up and you should not have a ton of gouges to fix.

25. As mentioned, thin cut off wheel, and good eyes. Protected ones, prescription or cheaters, if you need them. You need to watch the cut carefully, closely to ensure you're only cutting the weld, or patch. Sneak up on it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I think they meant your credit card. :)

Flathead Dave likes this.
  27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those patches look like the way a buddy of mine used to get panels to fit when he was welding a panel on or even fitting door gaps.
    I agree that the gentle use of a cut disk is the way to take them off.
    Wear a good full face shield and not those cute as seen on the Motor Trend channel safety glasses unless you have the safety glasses on under the face shield. You want your whole face protected.

28. me too ^^^^. I may take an angle grinder and knock the welds/tacks down some first but hammer and chisel is my goto.