Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ford Top Loader 3.03 Disassembly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donald Campbell, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Donald Campbell

Donald Campbell

Guys,
    I have a 1963 Mexican Ford Falcon with a 260 and Top Loader 3.03. I am trying to take this thing apart and not having any luck doing so. I have a diagram but no parts names so bear with me if I call a part the wrong name. The transmission is in good condition, worked great before I did something really dumb. I was cleaning it up and had the tail shaft off and input shaft bearing retaining plate off. I got lazy and picked the transmission up by the output shaft that's when trouble started. The input shaft bearing dropped into the case. I read I could drop the cluster gears out by driving the shaft out with a piece of PVC which did work, held the bearings in place but not the end washers, PVC was a little too short. Anyway now I have to take it apart to put it back together.

I got the input shaft off. I got the shifting fork on the set of gears near the output shaft off along with the shifting fork shaft. I am trying to get the other shifting fork off that is closest to the input shaft the one with a freeze plug. I can't seem to get the shaft out so I can remove the shifting fork. Also do I need to remove the I assume reverse cluster and if so how do I get that rod out. I did look all over the internet, plenty on the 4 speed top loader but nothing on the 3 speed 3.03. Any help appreciated.

loudbang likes this.
  2. deucemac

deucemac

Hit swap meets and look for older motors or Chilton manuals of the '60's. They both will have detailed overhaul pictures and text. I did that with my roadster and my son borrowed my book to overhaul 2 Mustang 3.03 transmissions, which reminds me that he needs to bring the book back.

Deuces and Donald Campbell like this.
  3. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My editing has put the last page as the first pic, sorry about that. From 1969 Motors manual.
    20190609_231916.jpg 20190609_231234.jpg 20190609_231348.jpg 20190609_231419.jpg View attachment 4311714

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Deuces, Donald Campbell and deucemac like this.
  4. Donald Campbell

Donald Campbell

Deuces likes this.

5. Donald Campbell

Donald Campbell

Thanks guys helped tremendously. The posted manual helped me get the shaft out. All I needed to do was to rotate it 90 degrees and was able to get the shaft out and transmission apart. This tranny is in excellent condition inside, and hated to not use it. I made a little longer piece of PVC to put in the counter shaft. The longer length keeps the thrust washers in place and allows the counter shaft to drop enough to allow the input shaft to be put in and out so I can get the bearings back in. Now to put it all back together.

Deuces and deucemac like this.
  6. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Cool. Hope it all goes back together well for you.

Deuces and deucemac like this.
  7. Donald Campbell

Donald Campbell

All back together now, well except the cluster shaft plug, which didn't make it.

8. I hate to bring up a year old post, but...it's as good as any place to ask my question.

Is there a source for the three speed toploader's parts? Or, maybe, what parts will interchange with the 4 speed?

Mine is a little far gone for most peoples' tastes, but it will be fine behind something that isn't going to twist the frame rails of my old mainline...if I could find replacements for the 1st/reverse gear sleeve and second gear all the rest of the gears are in great shape, minimal pitting...the needle bearings would probably be alright but I think I want to replace them as well.

This poor thing sat on it's side for heaven knows HOW long, all the nice, aromatic gear lube drained out and water came in...once I got it worked loose and was able to get it to turn I was stoked LoL it's the little things in life, man...they bring me joy...

Anyway, where are folks getting parts to rebuild these? All the sources I find online are apparently in lust with the 4 speed, but hate the little three speeds :(

9. Here's one place:

https://www.transmissionpartsdistributors.com/toploader-3-speed-rat-ran-rac-rab-hef-heg/

These place sell top loader 4 speed parts.
    https://www.4speedtoploaders.com/
    https://www.toploadertransmissions.com/

Waiting to see what everyone posts, as I don't know these real well but I have a few I want to rebuild (maybe more in the future).

hillbilly likes this.