Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects I BOUGHT ROCKY'S '50 PONTIAC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29StudeDude, Oct 21, 2021.

1. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I may have kept the current lineup if I had those parts.

loudbang and PhilA like this.
  2. Thanks, Tim. Last time I was out at your house you had that kinky little Mercedes coupe for sale..been awhile.

loudbang and 29StudeDude like this.
  3. Yeah, I do have some health concerns that pushed me to sell the very coupe I've been wanting for a looooooooong time. I still have my grey 34 five window and I'm sure Brian will do my old Pontiac coupe righteous. Thanks for planning to install a real, live Poncho motor and don't forget....I still have the 3.07 third member. I forgot to give it to you. It's part of the sale, along with the 2 crossmembers. 50pontiacsold.jpg

4. And the front license plate if you want it.

5. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Thanks Rocky. I will get them this week! I already ordered new floor pans and rockers, and have a TH350 core to get rebuilt.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Tim like this.
  6. Cool...gimmee a call before you show up. BTW, I have a bunch-o-stuff that was in the glove box.....oil change receipts etc etc.

7. RAREBIKE

RAREBIKE
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

MGA Roadster, 25 Roadster Pickup and a 28 RPU with a Lincoln V12 in the garage now.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  8. Nice ol car! I agree, the 350 Poncho is a great idea.

9. carbking

carbking

Glad you are keeping it Pontiac!

One thing to think about: you really have to be GOOOOOOOD to make that 350 with a Holley run anywhere close to how it would run with the original GM carburetor. And that Indian will STILL be looking for the gas station!

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Once you are ready to turn loose of the straight 8, try AACA.org or the Performance Years Pontiac Forums.

And what would really have made a great deal is if Rocky left a couple of cases of bread in the back seat!!!!!!!!!!! My nose twitches just thinking about it!

Jon.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  10. bchctybob

bchctybob

Great to see the Pontiac V8 plan! The perfect hot rod solution. Along with skirts, I'd ditch the visor too. They are for lowriders not hot rods.

Chili Phil and loudbang like this.
  11. what carbking said

12. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

I hate Holley's, but it's brand new, so I will give it a try before I swap it. I already have a buyer for the straight eight. It and the trans will become a spare to a man who runs one, and wants a spare. As far as economy, I would buy a GEO Metro if I cared about that! My other car is a t-bucket with a big block! Lol.

chryslerfan55, Algoma56, Tman and 3 others like this.
  13. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

The visor has been with the car since new, and I love it! If you research the low rider crowd, you'd notice visors, and skirts go together. Many even have V-8 swaps. I am closer to them than I am a rod! Just add skirts, lay it down on the frame with air bags, and I am there! Lol.

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I guess I misunderstood your vision. I pictured a Pontiac version of this:
    50 Olds.jpg

Rather than this:
    50 pontiac.jpg
    My mistake.......

15. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

The vision is like the upper with a visor. But I can't rule out a few period correct accessories also! Lol.

catdad49 likes this.
  16. Very cool car and congrats on getting it. I really like that you are keeping it Pontiac powered too. Makes me wish I would have kept a 50 Pontiac coupe I had about 25 years ago although it wasn’t near as nice as yours.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Nice! Those cars have beautiful lines. I understand upgrading the engine, but my preference would be 389 (instead of the post HAMB era 350) and keep the hydro. But you've got your plans and that's where it's going, so I wish you well. That's going to be a keeper.

loudbang likes this.
  18. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

The 350 is a 1968, looks like a 389 to the average person, has all brand new and rebuilt parts for only $1600 (try finding a rebuilt 389 for that). Vintage Pontiac engines are getting hard to find of any size, and you can't be too picky when finding a good deal with driving distance. She will be a keeper for sure.

19. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

50+ years ago I remember watching 2 older ladies drive by in one of these. Not sure of the exact year, just the body style. It was a gorgeous 2 tone green...dark top lite body. I would love to see someone do one of these basically stock outside but with a pontiac ohc sprint six and a 5 speed.

20. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

My extensive elderly car buddy list members don't ever recall seeing a Pontiac Coupe with the Deluxe option package in eastern Nebraska. Even though many were made, they are not too common. I am just glad it was preserved so we'll.

chryslerfan55, catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  21. Lucky getting thst nice car, I thought Rocky would keep and build it. But understand life changes plans. Your plan for the build sounds just right. The 3.07 rear gear will work nice with the Pontiac 350 and T350 transmission.

catdad49, loudbang and 29StudeDude like this.
  22. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

23. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Car and engine are now in the same garage at least.

catdad49, Budget36 and loudbang like this.
  24. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

The new Pontiac banner, and how the '50 looks with it's garage mate! P50 and Tee Nee.jpg

25. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Rocky kept this one, so I think he will be okay! KIMG0225.jpg KIMG0223.jpg KIMG0226.jpg

26. BJR

BJR

Good on you for not putting in a Chev 350. I am so sick of seeing them in every fucking car at all the shows. And yes I know it is cheap and easy to do a SB Chev.

27. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

In a survivor like this, I think that would ruin it! If I can't stand to go putt, putt with the straight eight, I have to at least keep it all Pontiac I thought!

catdad49, 48fordnut and loudbang like this.
  28. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice score on the "1965 389" sitting on the stand. If you need any cool valve covers for it, gimme a holler.

-Abone.

loudbang likes this.
  29. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

Nice car! I love those club coupe body styles in all makes. But I think the Pontiac might be the rarest of all. And the shark fin trim inside and out is stellar. I put some on my avatar. I think your plan for the car is perfect. Carry on!

30. 29StudeDude

29StudeDude

Thank you sir!

catdad49 and loudbang like this.