Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No oil

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 53 Ford Freak, Oct 24, 2021.

1. 53 Ford Freak

53 Ford Freak

I have an 8BA flat head that I rebuilt and is not getting oil into the oil galleys, or on top of the engine valley/cam area, although I have oil pressure, can anybody tell me where they think the blockage is, what is causing this. I had to tear down the engine just after the rebuild because the dip tank process did not get all the sludge out of the tube that runs through the block. The machine shop said said the tube rotated, ?

2. I don't know if it is EPA stuff or just the fact that you can't get good help these days but I had the same problem. After hot tanking the block the oil passages were still clogged. This was on a Y block and if you know those motors, you are aware of the passage going up to the head. Well, that was still clogged solid.
    I used my rifle cleaning tools to scrub them all out. Wish I could help with your problem but I have only had one flathead apart and that was years ago. Good luck.

Desoto291Hemi and jimmy six like this.
  3. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I’d pass this question through the Fordbarn. Can’t beat decades of experience.

blowby likes this.
  4. If the tube rotated you are not getting any oil to the cam bearings or main bearings .
    That tube is the oil galley that supplies all the oil through the rest of the engine .
    The rear main and back two rods receive oil straight from the pump .
    The rest of the engine is reliant on that tube .
    And I can’t imagine how the tube could rotate unless it was turned with a drill or something .

Also,,,,keep this in mind .
    It is the responsibility of the owner (you),,,,that the oil passages are clear .
    Don’t assume any shop has done everything,,,,,always,,,always,,,always,,,check these things when it returns from the shop .
    The same with a crank,,,,always check the oil passages for any blockages or debris,,,,,very important .

Tommy